What's new

A Harry Situation

It wasn't quite a case of RAD. Due to neck pain last week, I used my Gillette Fusion for two or three days instead of a DE or SE. That had me thinking of cartridges again, and prices first, followed by not really wanting to go Gillette. That led me to Harry's. Harry's has larger shelf space than Gillette at the local Walmart, and the price was right, so I'd figured I'd try it.

I'll admit to having misgivings, not because it's a brand I haven't tried, but because of the pivot design. That seems to be what the cartridges are going to, and I don't have as good of results with that as I do the center pivot. The Fusion cartridge pivot it just a tad toward center, but still not center of the cartridge. The Harry's pivot point is a tad lower, more like the Mach 3.

The razor is well boxed, which is unusual for modern Gillette and Schick razors. The razor itself had a bit more heft than I expected. This one came with a blade cover, which was nice.

First shave was a day after a good shave with a Tech. I was impressed with the feel. No excessive tugging, which speaks well of the blades. The angle of the blades seem steeper, or maybe closer together, and has a different sound cutting beard. The cartridge is open in the back, which makes rinsing easier.

The shave was better than the Mach 3. It seemed on par with the Gillette Fusion. I even had less irritation than with a Fusion cartridge.

I'm a bit mixed by how the cartridge mounts to the handle. It looks proprietary, but that's not unusual. Maybe not having it compatible with existing designs is to shake the "knock-off" idea. This razor definitely isn't a knock off of existing designs.

The next day I did a one-pass shave with my Gillette Slim Just Because. Had enough stubble that evening that my wife commented, and the next morning decided to give Harry's another try. I had intended to use it a week, anyway.

Shave felt the same. This time I had more difficulty with my neck, probably because I had more stubble than when I tried it before.

By evening, I knew I had a fail. My stubble was long enough that I needed another shave. I ended up knocking down the stubble with a one blade Bic. I usually get so-so shaves from Bics, but it works fine for a once over to be passable until morning.

This morning, I reached for the Harry's razor, and stopped. Granted I didn't have much stubble, but it was "Ehhh." I ended up doing a three-pass with my Gillette Slim.

Harry's razors aren't bad at all, but I don't think they're a good match for me. I'd rather use it than a Mach 3, but yesterday's fail was a disappointment. For the record, I've had fails with the Fusion before, but this was during a period of unexplained beard growth. While that could be the case now, I don't think it is. I'll know this evening. If I need another shave twelve hours after a three-pass DE, then it's my beard.

Do I have buyer's remorse? Kind of, but it's not related to Harry's. Personna is now making cartridges that fit the Fusion, and I'm kicking myself about not trying those first.

Do I have buyer's remorse? Kind of, but it's not related to Harry's. Personna is now making cartridges that fit the Fusion, and I'm kicking myself about not trying those first.

That sounds promising, I wonder how they are priced! Hope your neck gets better soon, I have had some back issues as of late and from time to time it really affects my shaving. Best wishes.

I want to like Harry’s, and while I get a pretty good shave, the actual shave isn’t nearly as smooth as using a Gilette Fusion or Shick Hydro 5. It feels substantially rougher. I do like the feel of the handle compared to the big name competitors. I like that the Harry’s cartridges are cheaper than Gilette and Shick, and for me, the shave quality is about the same for all three (I do one pass with the grain, and one pass across the grain).

I also tried the Dorco 6+, and the feel of that shave was horrible- felt like it was tearing at my face. I thought maybe I had a defective cartridge, but even when replaced it felt the same.

I’m not quite done with Harry’s yet, will try shaving with it for a little while longer, but ultimately, I think I may be going with the Shick Hydro for my daily routine.

I've been using Harry's cartridges for several years now, and although I wasn't crazy about them at first, I really like them. But I've never done a side-by-side comparison with other cartridges.

Update:

My beard is definitely growing faster. This morning, I had more stubble than I thought I should following a three-pass shave, but still did a one pass shave with my Gillette Slim. Tonight, I had to shave again. Since I normally can have a one-pass DE and SE shave without substantial evening stubble, this has to be my beard again. This means my stubble yesterday morning isn't a good indication of the Harry's cartridge shave. Worth trying again when my beard slows back down.

Harry's worked well for me and formed the gateway to traditional methods.
I still use the system now and again and like it when time is tight.

I use a vintage Trac II when traveling. My main problem with the shave is also stubble grows back faster than with my super 84. Shave is great right away, smooth, comfortable and mindless, however any end of day I have stubble.

Harry's is just about the only cart system in the US I haven't tried but even single blades give me problems so I don't think I can give them a try. Their prices and company values are great (compared to direct competition) which is why I keep them on my mind. I'd love to hear some more updates from OP now that a couple months have passed.

Harry's is just about the only cart system in the US I haven't tried but even single blades give me problems so I don't think I can give them a try. Their prices and company values are great (compared to direct competition) which is why I keep them on my mind. I'd love to hear some more updates from OP now that a couple months have passed.
Their prices are high compared to the amount they used to retail for when in private label distribution.

I prefer the Guard over Harry’s. It takes an extra pass with a Guard, but the shave is better. I also like the center pivot on the Guard.

if the center pivot is your issue, you can still get both Gillette and other mfg carts that fit both Sensor and Atra handles. Original Gillette and aftermarket handles for these carts are available on the popular internet buying/auction sites. These both attach in the middle of the 2 blade cart so shaver has control over pressure of blades against skin, unlike the paint brush design of the Fusion and Mach3

Top Bottom