What's new

A Gun for Armadillo

If you don't count the last glaciation period, armadillos are relatively new here, showing up around 1980. Maybe. Would have thought highway vehicles were sufficient to keep them in check, but apparently not. Now there's a big one I need to get rid of.

"No problem," said I. "I'll, just pop it with a .22."

"Your father said when he use his .22, the bullets bounced off," my mother said.

Now, my father was a much better shot than I am, but that last bit had me going "Ehhh." Since his foray into armadillo hunting was in his later years, I wondered if he had just missed. But it had me wondering: What if it did? Is such a thing possible?

A check turned up an instance of a Texas man who had his .38 ricochet off an armadillo and strike him in the face. In another instance, a Georgia man had a 9mm ricochet off an armadillo, through a fence, through the back door of a trailer, through a recliner, striking his mother in the back.

So this is giving me a bit of a pause. Surely you don't need FMJ in .308 or larger for armadillo. Do you?

Thankfully, I haven't seen one of those critters since I left Ft Polk in 1970. I think they're the only animal that can give you leprosy. If you can't shoot it, any chance of catching it in a hav-a-heart cage and drowning it. Living on a quarter acre lot, where I can't fire a gun, a garbage toter full of water worked for me with groundhogs, skunks and possums until the cage rusted out. Buried chicken wire around my shed eventually solved my critter problem. Now they have to go live under my neighbors sheds.

They sure have disappeared around here over the last 20 odd years. I saw one (alive) a few weeks back on the side of the road. I guess the smarter ones lived.

used to be, we’d just turn the dogs loose on ‘em. They’d come home at sunset, bloody almost up to their eyes, and happy as could be.

if you really want to be sporty and impress the chicks, grab it up by the tail, hang it head down and just spin it around till it balls up, then duct tape it up. They don’t make great soccer/dodge balls though. Hurt to kick and heavy to throw.

12/20ga always worked well enough.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
From what I've heard, armadillos are harder to trap than possums and coons. You almost have to set the trap right by the opening of their den, if you know where that is. Neighbor uses a 12 ga on the ones tearing up his lawn, when he can catch them at it.

My folks said they were becoming more common in their state (Georgia). Hard to believe a .22 wouldn't dispatch them, but I guess anything is possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last couple I shot was with a 7.5 Swiss FMJ, similar to .308 Win. Did an excellent job. Never had a chance to try a .22LR on one.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
,22 should work. A lot of times you can just walk up to 'em and hit 'em in the head with a stick. A guy I used to work with said a .357 made them look like a watermelon dropped on concrete.

These always work well.

I've used a 270 and also a 22 mag hollow point.
I heard of a guy said he was shooting a pistol once he said that hit a tree and the bullet came back at him and hit him with no force or penetration. That story was hard for me to believe but he told me that for the truth so I guess anything's possible.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nobody will believe this, and my brother tells the story better than I, but me and my dad and he were in the field between our place and the neighbors. A ground hog decided to pop up. I ran for my 22 Marlin semi auto. My little brother is a better shot, so I gave him the gun. He shot at it. It stood up, looked right at us and lit out for us. He kept shooting, and I know he hit it at least once on the back. One shot ricocheted and hit the neighbors house! The last shot he put in his head, about 6 feet away. My brother says it was running so fast it skidded! lol. I saw it and I still have a hard time believing it. We walked over to the neighbors, and sure enough, a 22 had pierced her aluminum siding! Craziest thing I ever saw involving ground hogs, and that's saying something. I think they're related to Badgers, I swear!

Nobody will believe this, and my brother tells the story better than I, but me and my dad and he were in the field between our place and the neighbors. A ground hog decided to pop up. I ran for my 22 Marlin semi auto. My little brother is a better shot, so I gave him the gun. He shot at it. It stood up, looked right at us and lit out for us. He kept shooting, and I know he hit it at least once on the back. One shot ricocheted and hit the neighbors house! The last shot he put in his head, about 6 feet away. My brother says it was running so fast it skidded! lol. I saw it and I still have a hard time believing it. We walked over to the neighbors, and sure enough, a 22 had pierced her aluminum siding! Craziest thing I ever saw involving ground hogs, and that's saying something. I think they're related to Badgers, I swear!
Dude, when a groundhog can see or smell what’s bothering it, they are bat-poop crazy. I 100% believe that it charged you. As for the ricochet - that’s a .22lr for you, and the reason I shoot a 17HMR. Its about the only caliber I’ve never had a ricochet with. They just implode. A .204 Ruger is good that way too. But yeah, groundhogs aren‘t friendly.

Lol , that's crazy. Tough rascals.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Interesting. They were all over the S. Texas ranch that I grew up on. Never shot one. Dad made us eat anything (besides snakes and rodents) that we killed. Only killed one possum LOL.

My folks said they were becoming more common in their state (Georgia). Hard to believe a .22 wouldn't dispatch them, but I guess anything is possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Armadillos have been a real problem in our area of Georgia. Several months ago they started tearing up our lawn searching for food. Tried several repellants that had no effect and finally had a trapper set up a couple of traps. He was able to determine the route they were taking and in less than a week, we got 2 armadillos(and one possum). Others in the neighborhood had similar experiences... one neighbor getting up to 6. Hopefully they are gone for good... or at least off for ”greener pastures”.

Top Bottom