What's new

A Guide to Head Shaving for Balding Men

A couple of thoughts: When I first started head shaving, I had a hard time using a closed-comb or solid-bar safety razor. I think it's because the hair on my scalp is thin and soft, and the bar would push the hairs down, requiring me to do multiple passes. So I switched to a cartridge razor for my scalp, while using a safety razor for my beard. When I later tried an open comb on my scalp, it worked great, so that's what I use now (Gillette New Long Comb). No guide I had read ever suggested experimenting with various razors, so I'm sharing this in the off-chance that someone else might benefit.

I'll also add that I use a very thin layer of lather when head shaving as this improves tactile sensation, which is important because for me because I can't see spots I might miss on the back of my head.

Finally, if I'm in a hurry, I'm not ashamed to use a cartridge, which minimizes/eliminates nicks.

Thanks Omar. This is a good overview.

nice article! Very different from the previous poster. My hair is like thin wire. The main reason I went with bald is because the sides grew straight out making me look like Doc Brown from Back to the Future. For me, lots of moisturizer and sunscreen, and lots of lather when I shave. I shave most every day so, if I'm in a rush, I just skip the noggin and do my face only.

Thanks for the feedback. I can see where your experience can help others. I'll add your thoughts to the article.

A couple of thoughts: When I first started head shaving, I had a hard time using a closed-comb or solid-bar safety razor. I think it's because the hair on my scalp is thin and soft, and the bar would push the hairs down, requiring me to do multiple passes. So I switched to a cartridge razor for my scalp, while using a safety razor for my beard. When I later tried an open comb on my scalp, it worked great, so that's what I use now (Gillette New Long Comb). No guide I had read ever suggested experimenting with various razors, so I'm sharing this in the off-chance that someone else might benefit.

I'll also add that I use a very thin layer of lather when head shaving as this improves tactile sensation, which is important because for me because I can't see spots I might miss on the back of my head.

Finally, if I'm in a hurry, I'm not ashamed to use a cartridge, which minimizes/eliminates nicks.

Thanks Omar. This is a good overview.

Lol Doc Brown... I think I'm heading that way, but I always shave or buzz if I'm feeling lazy to see it through.

nice article! Very different from the previous poster. My hair is like thin wire. The main reason I went with bald is because the sides grew straight out making me look like Doc Brown from Back to the Future. For me, lots of moisturizer and sunscreen, and lots of lather when I shave. I shave most every day so, if I'm in a rush, I just skip the noggin and do my face only.

I’ve been shaving my head with a straight razor for ten years, I have a receding hair line, the slow pattern, when the first signs of fallout began I decided to shave my head bald, to the point where my head looks like it’s been buffed with a power tool, but I have been sporting a beard for two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha "...looks like it's been buffed with a power tool..."

10 years with a straight razor? Impressive! With a shiny head, sporting a beard is definitely the way to go.

I’ve been shaving my head with a straight razor for ten years, I have a receding hair line, the slow pattern, when the first signs of fallout began I decided to shave my head bald, to the point where my head looks like it’s been buffed with a power tool, but I have been sporting a beard for two years.

Haha "...looks like it's been buffed with a power tool..."

10 years with a straight razor? Impressive! With a shiny head, sporting a beard is definitely the way to go.

I used the Mach 3 turbo from 2000-2008. I’ve been shaving my head since 2000, I saw a really bad toupee in 1995, I vowed that day that if I ever started losing my hair and upon the first sign of hair loss I would shave my head to the point to where it’s been buffed with a power tool, , my head is always shiny, I went without facial hair until 2006, my wife prefers me with the shaved head and goatee or shaved head/beard look she says that I look like a baby face if I have a clean shaven face, , for the summer it’s shaved head/goatee look, Winter is shaved head/beard look.. I have an uneven receding hair line in three spots, im a better man for accepting it and shaving my head.

I used the Mach 3 turbo from 2000-2008. I’ve been shaving my head since 2000, I saw a really bad toupee in 1995, I vowed that day that if I ever started losing my hair and upon the first sign of hair loss I would shave my head to the point to where it’s been buffed with a power tool, , my head is always shiny, I went without facial hair until 2006, my wife prefers me with the shaved head and goatee or shaved head/beard look she says that I look like a baby face if I have a clean shaven face, , for the summer it’s shaved head/goatee look, Winter is shaved head/beard look.. I have an uneven receding hair line in three spots, im a better man for accepting it and shaving my head.

same on the baby face thing

My wife hates the "baby face" look. She prefers the full beard, though.

I tried the goatee look and um... I looked like a goat for sure. Wish I had the face for it.

Top Bottom