What's new

A good starter boar brush?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My $0.02:

1. Yes, plenty of shorter lofted boar brushes out there, although even big barber knots are not necessarily messy. You will find that boar bristle knots do not hold as much water as badger, so are somewhat more controllable when it comes to making and releasing lather.
2. 1470 is a great brush. I love Semogue wood handles. I think the Semogue 1800 is a good starting point in the Semogue line-up. The 1800's knot is a combination of the stiffer and softer bristles, and it has a great mix of softness and backbone. The 1800 handle is a great shape that is very comfortable. Omega has a few wood handled models as well.
3. Every brush is different. Some are really stinky out of the box and some don't smell at all. My preferred de-stinking routine is to whip up a bowl of Proraso Green and let the knot sit in the lather overnight. That usually takes care of it.
4. Yup, plenty. That's what I do.
5. I think every other day is fine. The thing is that while the knot is breaking in, you want to let it dry fully so the tips split. But you also want to keep using the brush frequently so it breaks in faster. Once broken in to your liking, I don't think it needs as much drying time. I often use the same Semogue several days in a row.

Cheers and welcome to the boaring (but not boring!) side of wetshaving!

Update, all,

Received the brush in today's mail. It has a bit of a scent, yes; perhaps something like a wool sweater that's been closed in a drawer for a while. If a smell develops when it gets wet, I'll deal with that, but so far no problem. It's a small thing, about the size of my badger brush but smaller than the AP ShaveCo tuxedo synthetic.

I'll whip up some lather this evening in a spare coffee cup and let the brush soak in that, and then steep it in warm water in the scuttle in the morning. Adventure awaits!

The Semogue 1470 brush performed like a champ. Though there was almost no scent to it, and certainly nothing unpleasant, I soaked it overnight in a lather of Erasmic glycerin soap. This morning I rinsed it out, soaked it in warm water in the scuttle during my shower, and then lathered up some Phoenix Atmotic soap and shaved with my Red Tip and an Astra SP blade. The brush was not scratchy in the slightest, though I guess there was some more sensation on my face and throat than with the EJ badger, and a lot more than with the APShaveCo synthetic. After the final rinse, the scent on the bristles was nothing more than the Atmotic soap.

I like it. It's small and beautifully finished (I'd like a car with that caramel over pale cream color!), and works very well. I'm glad I bought it! Thanks, all, for your suggestions!

I am curious to know the importance of drying out the brush completely. I live in a temperate rain forest and shave 5 days a week, which means that my brush never really dries out no matter how much I shake it out and towel it.
Do I need to ensure that it gets dry between shaves? At least once a week? Should I rotate a series of brushes so that they all get dry between shaves? Or should I get a synthetic instead?

I use an Omega Pro 49. When I first got it I followed the routine where you leave it in cold water in the fridge for a weekend. I modified it by doing a lather and leaving the soap in the brush overnight and then rinsing before putting it in the 2 day fridge bath. There was very little smell when I first started using it and what was there cleared up in a couple of days. It became my everyday brush as soon as it came out of the fridge.

The drying is to help with the breaking process. No need to let dry once broken in if using daily, unless packing away for say a trip, then its to prevent mildew.

Too late to influence the purchase, I know, but try the Omega 10051 (or any/all of the smaller Omegas upto the 10066 or 10065)

Top Bottom