What's new

A good starter boar brush?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have the other 2 brushes, the badger and the synth, so I expect I'll use this one about every 3rd day. Repeat the pattern a second time, then take Sunday off, and start over again.

I wonder if I should tell Miss Linda, who continually frets about cruelty to animals (yet calmly wears leather shoes and handbags, and eats beef and pork products), that the bristles on the Semogue came from a descendant of the Wild Boar of Calydon, or something? It would be . . . interesting.

The actual truth is that the animals would be killed, anyhow, because they are a nuisance, and the hair is getting something good from it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just got a Razorock olive-wood boar brush this week. I haven't used it yet but i'm really impressed with it's quality. Just the look and feel of it is really nice. The wood grain is beautiful and they even carved their logo into the bottom of the handle, very fancy looking...and there's a cool metal accent ring around the base of the knot.

Zeniths.All.Boars.640.9-27-18.JPG

It's made by Zenith, the RR olivewood boar.

All the Zenith boars I have (all mine have a loft of 57mm or less) are great. None of my Zeniths really required any breaking in, but they're not the Mondial (below).

9-29-19.X3.Mondial.Kit.640.JPG

The Mondial boar is a favorite of mine. It's a great brush right out of the box, but it improves over time.

Omega.Jade.Pro.3-18.640.JPG

The Jade is the best Omega, their premium. Connaught sells it. Seriously good brush. Beautiful handle. Great size. Not too big, but big in the ways that count.

MightyMidget.0-Rings.640.6-18.JPG

Connaught also has this very small but excellent Omega to which I added three #14 O-rings. It's very inexpensive and also a terrific brush, but small. The backbone is impressive.

Backbone.Dino..jpeg

The already mentioned Proraso Pro, made by Omega, is a great brush but it takes some serious breaking in. Its backbone is a transplant.

I use and have a small collection of premium boars. Why have anything else especially when great boars are not expensive?

Some expensive boars are lousy. Hint: Thater Premium ($85, not as good as any brush mentioned).

None of my boars have had enough scent to matter. I tend to wash/soak new brushes in Ship-Shape, rinse them well, and then either put them in service or put them through a break in process which consists of repetitive wet-dry cycles coupled with towel rubs of the wet tips.

I soak my brush while I shower but you don't have to. I dry all boars for at least 48 hours between uses, usually a week or so. Badgers dry faster, at least mine do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think you'll like the 1470 based on your criteria. It's a very good feeling knot. I haven't noticed any stink in any of the Semogues or Omegas I have ever bought. As far as break in goes they all get better of course but even right out of the box they already feel pretty good so I never felt a need to try to accelerate the process.

I've been wet shaving for about 5 years, and have used my Edwin Jagger badger and, more recently, a tuxedo synthetic from AP Shave Co. I primarily face lather my soft soaps, and from time to time swirl up some cream from TOBS or even some Barbasol, or a mix of both.

If I were to try a boar brush without having to expend a lot of $$$, what kind should I start with? I see Omegas and Semogues are highly regarded here.

1) Is there a model with reasonably short-ish bristles that won't get lather all over my sink?

2) I'd like a wooden handle. Semogue 1470?

3) How long do I have to soak it when I first get it, to get most of the smell out? (Is the smell really that bad? Some folks here complain about the "stench" of Tabac soap, but I like it.) And how long until the brush is "broken in" (I presume that means the smell is gone and the bristles don't scrape you)?

4) I usually soak my brush in my scuttle, warm or cold water, while I shower. Will that be enough prep?

5) Apparently a boar takes a while to dry compared to a synthetic or a badger. I shave usually about 6 times a week. Could I expect to use it perhaps 1-2x a week?
Hey there, I would recommend the Semogue SOC Boar. It's my regular brush I use daily. It does take a while to break in but once it's fully broken in, it's glorious. :001_tongu

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have one boar brush that was quite funky smelling for way longer than I wished - an Omega. None of my Semogue's had any smell.

I think the SOC is a fabulous brush for scuttle lathering. It's large and quick and the handle is incredibly comfortable. It is around $27, but that's probably only ten bucks higher than the average boar - and you're certainly worth it!

I also soak mine in the scuttle while I shower - plenty of time. It will be pretty nice out of the box, but it will get better and better for many weeks. You can use it without danger out of the box, but know that the tips will eventually become quite soft.

Thanks, all,

I've ordered the Semogue 1470 from WCS; they had free shipping on it, too. I'll try the dish soap and the lather-and-let-it-sit-while-I-shave methods to reduce any scent. (It'll be interesting to unpack it and see if my cats react to the scent, if any.) As for the weather conditions affecting its drying, I'm forced to run my air conditioning 24/7, 340 days a year and sometimes more. It's pretty dry in my place.

Water and wood usually don't play well together, but I've had no trouble with (what appears to be) wood on my EJ brush, going on 4 years now.

I'm looking forward to trying this.

Great choice!! Let us know how it works out (PLEASE)! :a14::a14:

The Semogue 1800 is a very nice brush that has unique bristles. It has a mix of boar hair that no other brush has. It is very nice right from the start without any animal smell.

1800.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@Benzadmiral While it's not a wooden handle, the Omega B&B Essential boar is perhaps the prefect brush IMO. The handle is extremely ergonomic (shaped very similar to the Kent BKx series) and the knot was ready to use right out of the box, no funky smell and the tips already splitting.

As for waiting for it to dry between uses, I have often used mine for months on end of daily shaves.
full

Funny that I've never experienced a problem with odor or breaking in with my Semogues or Omega.
It's dependant on luck. My first 2 omega had some stench and serious performance issues. I even got brush burn from them. So I was forced to put it in the fridge.

my 3rd one was ready to rock n roll out of the box.

It's dependant on luck. My first 2 omega had some stench and serious performance issues. I even got brush burn from them. So I was forced to put it in the fridge.

my 3rd one was ready to rock n roll out of the box.
Luck really??? What's the chance that could happen with three brushes?

you didn't know omega brushes are inconsistent in performance?

one guy bought two identical proraso brushes and both behaved differently.

I am not one who uses anecdotal information. I've a 1305, 610, and Omega 10047. The 610 was used. All three made great lather, felt great, and didn't smell.

I am more inclined to think some folks are way to picky and unskilled in using a brush.

Top Bottom