What's new

A good or even decent razor should hold the blade correctly and consistently, right?

Simple question. Today I experienced this for the first time (except from my rate your shave thread)
"This was the second time with the no name razor and I discovered that it did not hold the blade evenly. I'm keeping the handle but tossing the head. I'm not interested in a razor that I have to worry about holding the blade correctly."

Yes? No?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Some of the vintage razors, such as the old type or New Improved can have slightly loose or sloppy alignment. It has never bothered me but if it did then I would use something else. If it was an expensive razor with a reputation and selling point of tight tolerances and blade ilignment then I would not accept any deficiencies in that area.

Some razors have looser tolerances, especially older three-hole razors. Take the Gillette Old Type, for example. Even so, that's not a fatal flaw. You can still clamp the blade in place and it will work fine.

Gillette did improve this on the later designs such as the NEW and the Tech by adding posts to clamp the blade by the corners. Other manufacturers may have their own methods.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes, of course it should hold the blade correctly. But quality control is expensive, and if you didn't pay for quality control you're gambling that you received one of the better examples from that manufacturer.

I can’t tolerate any razor that won’t hold the blade straight/even every time without any fiddling. I’ve had expensive razors as well as inexpensive razors that have this issue. I either return or sale them.

I know for many this isn’t a big issue, but for some reason or other I just can’t deal with it. It’s my weird quirk I suppose.

I had a Viking Blade "Chieftain", Butterfly razor. Brass handle and Zamack head. Not the greatest razor, but not the worst. After 8 years of use, the blade started moving. I tried to use a pair of pliers to tighten it up, but it only worked for a little while. I had to get another razor.

To answer your question, yes, any decent razor 'should' keep the blade in the proper position to shave. Afterall, thats what it's made to do. Right?

Are all razors, (especially at the lower price points) made well enough to do that? Sadly, no.

Because of my recent experience with the "Chieftain", when I went looking for a new razor, blade lock-up was of primary concern.

I chose a three piece RazoRock GC 68-P and a GC 84-P plate. In my opinion, blade lock-up is better with the 3-piece design.

But, I believe any of the newer machined razor's have tolerances that are so much tighter than any Zinc/MTM razor can be, its really worth taking a look at them. But, that's JMHO.

IDK if I helped, or just added to your dilemma?

b/r

ON_1

A Wolfman WR2 can’t hold a Kai blade straight. The corner posts don’t fit the narrower Kai blade tabs. Maybe other blades too, since the tabs aren’t a standardised part of the DE blade.

I haven’t tossed my WR2 in the trash, though. I just use a different blade that does fit.

I can’t tolerate any razor that won’t hold the blade straight/even every time without any fiddling.

I know for many this isn’t a big issue, but for some reason or other I just can’t deal with it. It’s my weird quirk I suppose.

I'm with you on this. My first DE was a Van der Hagen 3 piece with alignment issues. When I looked for a replacement, I saw many singing praises of Razorock, specifically because of the lack of alignment issues, so I tried them.

I didn't like the mamba .70 shaves, but it looked me down the path to my beloved Lupos.

I can’t tolerate any razor that won’t hold the blade straight/even every time without any fiddling. I’ve had expensive razors as well as inexpensive razors that have this issue. I either return or sale them.

Agreed...

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well...gotta look at the social context, too. "Back in the day" -- whatever day that was -- I suspect most users had not only developed the hand/eye coordination to get an effective shave from what they had, but they'd learned how to adjust the blades in their somewhat loose razors.

If I want a "better" razor I can likely find one in today's marketplace. I may even be able to afford it! Even just 20 years ago I'd have felt stuck with whatever I could get at the local drugstore. There's a reason devettes and half-siders show up in Grand-Dad's shaving kit.

My ATT S2 was the first razor I ever had that has no blade adjustment possible. The blades fit one way, and only one way, and it works.

My Fasan Double Slant is so worn that the blade practically spins. Well... It's loose, lemme say that. Getting even a minimally acceptable shave with that old codger requires a bit of lining things up properly beforehand. While I prefer to shave without needing to spend five minutes nudging and squinting, I can do that.

O.H.

Top Bottom