What's new

A Good Mattress

I'm wanting to get a new King Size mattress.

Since a mattress is something that you have for decades, I'm looking for some input on good/bad mattresses.

Anyone use the Tempur-Pedic? Stearns & Foster? Any thing else?

Any input is appreciated. I'm expecting the mattress to be in the $2k ball-park.

Thanks

I've had the Tempur mattress and wasn't crazy about it.

I like a firm mattress and, truth be told, like my $300 (Canadian) Ikea mattress (with a 10 or 15 year warranty) better.

It really depends on what you want/like - I wouldn't buy from anywhere that didn't have a good return policy (many places will let you return the mattress within 30 days if you don't like it - for a credit).

Also, try to negotiate the removal of your old mattress/box spring as these can be a pain to get rid of.

Have fun testing mattresses!

Our entire family has been sleeping on Select Comforts for about 10 years. Even the college kids took them to school. We have never had a problem with them.

We bought a Tempur mattress a few months ago.

At first, it was tough to get use to it. After a month....it is the best sleep I have ever had. I absolutely love it. My wife hated it at first. She gave it a chance and now she loves it too.

It is way different that sleeping on springs. If you get one, give it a chance to "break in" and for you to get situated to it.

Bottom line....we love the tempur pedic mattress.

Also, if you have a friend that is a doctor, have them write a prescription for you to get it. You will save the taxes.

Hi ,

im in the same boat as you are , im going to need a complete new bed.

This is quite good and I think the contra production of Tempur, I tested both and I like both.
dont know if Auping exports to other countries though you first must test it.

http://www.auping-online.com/

I think the Tempur-Pedic pillows and mattresses are great. I got 2 generic version king size pillows off of ebay for about $50-60 about 3 years ago and they're fantastic.

Check on ebay and see what you find.

Check out the Lady Americana Memory Foam. Exactly the same as Tempur-pedic, but at half the price. I've had mine for a year, and I LOVE it. It took me absolutely no time to get used to. On metal springs, I could never sleep on my back. But now I fall asleep on my back and don't wake up during the night. Bought it from a local mattress store (not a furniture store that sells mattresses). Because they're Mom & Pop and they're in competition with the big boys, they'll more than likely give you discounts or freebies. I paid full price for the queen mattress and box springs (about $1500 + tax), but I got a free bed frame and free home delivery (a real plus, because I live in a third floor apartment and the mattress alone weighs about 120 pounds!!!).

Hope this helps.:001_smile

ouch said:
I used to sell mattresses. If you knew the markup, you'd puke.:mad:

Oh, I can believe about anything... no doubt the same on furniture too... but I guess if you are selling something that someone is going to use for 10+ years you have to make the money when you can!

Aaron,

I had the Tempurpedic and I liked it too, but in these warmer humid climates the mattress caused me to sweat too much and get real hot. I had no trouble selling it because everyone wants one. I ended up with a Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop great mattress for the $$$. It's the best of both worlds firm yet soft. The only drawback on this guy is that normal sized sheets just won't fit.

Don't get sucked in by those pushy furniture people (No offense!!!).

Tito said:
Aaron,

I had the Tempurpedic and I liked it too, but in these warmer humid climates the mattress caused me to sweat too much and get real hot. I had no trouble selling it because everyone wants one. I ended up with a Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop great mattress for the $$$. It's the best of both worlds firm yet soft. The only drawback on this guy is that normal sized sheets just won't fit.

Tito, thanks for the input. For some reason I've always suspected that the Tempur beds would be hot... I thought maybe with sheets it would mitigate that effect.

I currently have a Sealy Posturpedic Queen with pillow-top and really enjoy it.

I'm leaning towards a similar style Stearns & Foster since some friends of mine have one and really enjoy it.

Tito said:
Aaron,

Ditto=
I used to call it the hot-temper mattress!

The heat factor and the cost are the only two things preventing me from getting a memory foam mattress. One thing about memory foams, they've been out for around thirty years. We use them in almost all of our custom seating systems for pediatric wheelchairs. The foams we use come in several different firmnesses and there are even some that we use when heat retention is a factor. Going that route would likely be way too expensive though. Using an elasto-gel as the top layer would be one example of of how we set up a system for heat reduction.

HlSheppard said:
Once you try a Select Comfort - you'll never go back.

We just can't sleep on anything else...

The select comfort is the 'air' bed correct? Where you can set both sides to different firmness levels?

I sleep on a "real" Japanese futon, not the American or gaijin version. I got hooked on them after living in Japan for a little while. Expensive and a pain to find but worth it if you're into that kind of thing.

We have a top of the line Stearns and Foster and I think I like it a lot. Can't really do comparisons like can with shaving soap one day this and the next that.

The only thing I remember is saving several hundred dollars agreeing to buy one that was one year out of date. Still a new mattress and aside from subtle appearance no different that current model, just on one year older pattern fabric covering that you only see when you change the mattress pad.

MJB

Some Swiss friends of mine have all foam mattresses, which are great. They are NOT memory foam - not memory at all. But they sleep fantastically. I actually can't stand memory foam mattressees.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
jduffy said:
I sleep on a "real" Japanese futon, not the American or gaijin version. I got hooked on them after living in Japan for a little while. Expensive and a pain to find but worth it if you're into that kind of thing.

I sleep on a "real" Japanese, not the American or gaijin version. I got hooked on them after living in Japan for a little while. Expensive and a pain to find but worth it if you're into that kind of thing.

:lol:

Oh, God, I'm gonna burn for this one I know.

ouch said:
I sleep on a "real" Japanese, not the American or gaijin version. I got hooked on them after living in Japan for a little while. Expensive and a pain to find but worth it if you're into that kind of thing.

:lol:

Oh, God, I'm gonna burn for this one I know.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom