What's new

A good lather = a good day?

I just wanted to share this with you guys.

As you may know I just started shaving on a regular basis last monday, and I've been doing relatively well. My first problem is I can't get the right amount of soap and water on my brush. I always end up getting some lather going on the soap or pushing around a bunch of pastey-like stuff. Well, today I got the perfect amount. I laughed at first though because I had too much water in my bowl and I had an explosion of bubble-water. After I beat that out for awhile it turned into this great rich thick lather. I almost had too much for my face! Actually now that I think about it I did! (Which was cool.) So, because of my awesome lather I had a great shave. Not only was this a nice thick lather it was hot because I got inventive and found two bowls that had a lip and kept a small space between them that I filled with really hot water. So after having the best shave ever (I missed a few places... but whatever) I got to dab on some of "Tony's Choice" (is that right?) ASB from SCS. I LOVE that stuff. I actually just got it in the mail yesterday, but Im already in love with the smell and the feel. And it only takes half a drop to well-coat your face.

I just had to get this out there. I really look forward to shaving now, and it's really interesting in the dorms. This one person has been in the bathroom 3 of the 4 mornings that I have. It's kinda creepy when someone is watching me shave, especially when I have a few weepers on my jaw bone right by my ear! lol, I'm sure that he thought I was insane for actually taking the time to shave with a brush and all that.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you guys for introducing me to this awesome "sport"

And if you actually read that - kudos to you, I'm not even sure I understand it.

Congratulations, quietville. Looks like you are in for an addiction. :biggrin:
I'd put it differently, though: It is a good shave (including good lather) that makes the day a good one.
Greetings
oskar

some lather on the soap puck is always good sign, means that you loaded up with a good ammount of soap and can error on the water side of things, a good lather is still a skill, but a good lather is a good way of starting the day.

lather may help but I have had a good day w/out it, called Moll'e . It is lather free and should be clear when it is properly hydrated, IMHO. It is in my rotation but I do prefer the process of building lather.

After 7 months doing this I finally found my fatal flaw. I was judging lather all wrong. It was always too dry and sticky, leading to weepers, drag, and irritation. Just in the last week, I have made my lather with much more water than before, at least a tablespoon, and, like you, beat at it until it thickens up. My shaves have improved greatly since. I'm glad you were able to learn this lesson much earlier in your journey than I did! Congrats.

Top Bottom