What's new

A Good Fougere or Chypre?

Guerlain Coriolan, though discontinued, can be had NIB for relatively little money. It is a beautiful chypre with a lot of oakmoss (the real stuff). I have a bottle and it is the same stuff as L'Ame d'Un Heros (reissued) that is part of Guerlain's "exclusive" line and sells for $250. It is also very close to Chamade Pour Homme, which is also in the $250 range (essentially Coriolan + Hyacinth).

Coriolan can be had for around $40 for a 50ml bottle. Really the best bargain at the moment. Still does not top Derby IMO, but is a very beautiful outdoorsy and classy scent.

Thanks, I'll try to get some samples of those as well and see what I like on my skin.

Azzaro Pour Homme is a great barbershop fougere, but I like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme better. I find it to be more versatile and defiantly greener. It reminds me of original Barbasol shaving creme and to me that's a good thing. Sample it first though since it seems to be less popular than the Azzaro.

As for chypres, I like the citrusy, powdery Tabac EDC for all but the hottest days, but I love Caron Yatagan in the Fall and Winter. It's not green at all though, just starkly bitter pine playing off a sweet musk base. Again, sample first and do some research (basenotes, fragrantica, frompyrgos, etc.) since my tastes don't always reflect popular opinion.

Azzaro Pour Homme is a great barbershop fougere, but I like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme better. I find it to be more versatile and defiantly greener. It reminds me of original Barbasol shaving creme and to me that's a good thing. Sample it first though since it seems to be less popular than the Azzaro.

As for chypres, I like the citrusy, powdery Tabac EDC for all but the hottest days, but I love Caron Yatagan in the Fall and Winter. It's not green at all though, just starkly bitter pine playing off a sweet musk base. Again, sample first and do some research (basenotes, fragrantica, frompyrgos, etc.) since my tastes don't always reflect popular opinion.

I've been thinking a lot about getting Paco Rabanne since I like oak moss and it seems to be known for this. I can get it for $30 for 30ml locally so I might take the risk and just grab it and see how it wears on me. I can get Tabac locally two for a good price and I like the soap already and I have sampled the EDC and like it as well. Only problem is that it is a controversial fragrance in the shaving community so I imagine that it's also going to be a love or hate for others when I put it on. Of course, I wear the Veg and I've had some compliments on it since it's a pretty classic powdery/lilac scent once it dries down.

I've been thinking a lot about getting Paco Rabanne since I like oak moss and it seems to be known for this. I can get it for $30 for 30ml locally so I might take the risk and just grab it and see how it wears on me. I can get Tabac locally two for a good price and I like the soap already and I have sampled the EDC and like it as well. Only problem is that it is a controversial fragrance in the shaving community so I imagine that it's also going to be a love or hate for others when I put it on. Of course, I wear the Veg and I've had some compliments on it since it's a pretty classic powdery/lilac scent once it dries down.

I picked up a 100ml bottle of Paco at Costco a few weeks ago for $30, or maybe it was $35, either way it was a good deal on something I knew I liked. If you liked Tabac when you sampled it, go ahead and pick it up. Unlike Kouros or Yatagan, I can't imagine anyone finding it offensive. Even if they do, sometimes you just have to wear something just for you, but as one of the chosen ​you already know this.

I'll have to check out the Costco here, but not sure how good the deals are north of the boarder; we tend to get hosed a lot on prices compared to the US. :blink:

Pacco Ranabbe PH vs Azzaro PH seems to be an endless debate. Best is to smell both, preferably on your skin. Both are classics, and are now cheaper than they used to be, so you may get both for the price of one of the recent designer frags. Mind hower, that both have been reformulated in recent years to comply with new legislation, limiting some raw materials. Many people feel that the reformulation of APH is better done.
If you want to go even cheaper, try to locate Denim Original. It doesn't quite have the projection or longevity of the other two, but is well worth the price. Classic mass market scent and surprisingly well blended for a cheepie. There is also an AS splash that goes nicely together with APH.

Azzaro may be a classic Fougere, but to me it smells like a sweaty 1980's disco. Ditto Paco.

For something a bit updated & fresher try Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge or Murdock of London's Fougere.

http://www.murdocklondon.com/fougere-cologne.html

For a chypre, I must agree with mistercitizen...Chanel Pour Monsieur is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Another vote for Azzaro pour homme. I used to have a bottle and enjoyed it a lot.
Isn't there just one huge problem with this: isn't this juice - like most - a reformulated mess these days? I'd be extremely wary of purchasing a new bottle of Azzaro PH...

Last edited:
Aramis Devin- chypre
Aramis Tuscany- Fougere
YSL Jazz- Fougere
YSL Rive Gauche- Fougere

These might fit the bill
Aren't all of the above reformulated (meaning watered down) mere shadows of their former selves?
I personally wouldn't risk buying any of them in their modern formulations...
I know this thread is old, maybe back then these were still good but today? Caveat emptor...

Last edited:
If you want good performance for the price, then you can't go wrong with the house of Jaques Bogart.
Ok thanks... I have high hopes of Aromatic Lime Montale (on the way).
Also fougere royal is really nice and Bracken Man amouage sounds very promising...

Last edited:
If you're patient, Rive Gauche in the tin container shows up in the For Sale section on Basenotes. I picked up the square glass bottle of RG for a very good price also on Basenotes. I now have both versions and although not exactly the same, I can say that I'd be happy with either version.

Ok interesting, thanks for the tip ..
Would they also be selling Azzaro PH vintage there?
I never noticed a *for sale* section on Basenotes....

Isn't there just one huge problem with this: isn't this juice - like most - a reformulated mess these days? I'd be extremely wary of purchasing a new bottle of Azzaro PH...
APH is a great reformulation. You can get vintage very easily but it’s not worth trying. I have several vintages and all are very similar in all aspects.

Paco Rabanne PH, on the other hand, is spectacular in vintage form and a shadow of its former self in the current reformulation. It was so popular in the 80’s that you can find vintage often for less than the current prices on the bay.

APH is a great reformulation. You can get vintage very easily but it’s not worth trying. I have several vintages and all are very similar in all aspects.

Paco Rabanne PH, on the other hand, is spectacular in vintage form and a shadow of its former self in the current reformulation. It was so popular in the 80’s that you can find vintage often for less than the current prices on the bay.
Cool
Thanks so much for the tips.. this is starting to look promising! ☺

Top Bottom