What's new

A good five cent cigar?

Finck's Resagos Connecticut

1597857052405.png

Our lowest priced Nicaraguan premium!

One of our founder's original brands, Finck's Resagos sold for 5¢ back in the 1920’s. Now made in we use a savory combination of Connecticut wrapper, Nicaraguan binder and Cuban seed Honduran and Nicaraguan long fillers to produce these medium-bodied cigars. The construction is great, with every cigar drawing and burning well so you get maximum enjoyment from every one. Relying on the expertise of master-blender Omar Ortez, Finck's Resagos remain consistently good year after year, with tweaks to the blend made to adjust for the differences in each tobacco crop. These are the most economically priced premiums you'll find anywhere - one of the many reasons Finck's Resagos is one of our top selling brands.

Nowdays they aren't a nickel, but $3.70. They are however a very good smoke!

Growing up in Brooklyn, I remember when every corner candy store has a cigar counter. Most, but not all the cigars were mass produced. In fact, JR Cigar, the largest cigar retailer in the US started out with NYC candy stores. Back in the 1969's my dad would occasionally smoke Garcia y Vega cigars.

But at real world prices, my favorite 'cheap' smoke remains the Fuente 858, at $4-5 (box priced). The maduro punches above its price point. The SG is a solid one-note stick. And the claro is for the odd smoker that sometimes likes a very mild cigar with early morning coffee (me). The snobs will hate them all.
If you've got a problem with Fuente 858's you've got a problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate.

Plenty of $2-$4 mazos out there that can satisfy a walk around, morning coffee type cigar (PDR, Padilla, Gurkha, Oliva, etc).

Don't post much but I wanted to contribute that I really like the 858's as an everyday cigar. When I lived in Orlando I'd buy them from the AF store at Downtown Disney for about $4 each, and could get the Opus X there when they released too. I need to visit my local cigar shop again soon.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Growing up in Brooklyn, I remember when every corner candy store has a cigar counter. Most, but not all the cigars were mass produced. In fact, JR Cigar, the largest cigar retailer in the US started out with NYC candy stores. Back in the 1969's my dad would occasionally smoke Garcia y Vega cigars.

Indeed! Candy stores and walk-in newsstands. A newsstand tobacco counter is what finally lured me into piping. The smell of all that news print, all the magazines, the candy and gum racks ... and all that delicious tobacco.

I miss newsstands.

Indeed! Candy stores and walk-in newsstands. A newsstand tobacco counter is what finally lured me into piping. The smell of all that news print, all the magazines, the candy and gum racks ... and all that delicious tobacco.

I miss newsstands.

I miss them too. Especially the egg creams! When I moved out of NYC decades ago, my wife remained behind for a few months to get our coop sold. The woman who ran the corner candy store came up to my wife when she was walking by and said "where is husband, Mr. NY Times/Merit Menthol Ultra light" in her broken English. Now that I haven't smoked cigarettes for 25 years or bought a paper off the newsstand in 10, it is just a fond memory. Sometimes I feel like my life is an old Neil Simon movie...Brighton Beach Memoirs.

Those were the days; grab a pack of cigarettes and a paper on the corner, subway to Rockefeller Center, stop for a shine and sometimes a shave in that great old humongous barber shop on the 1st basement level then go up to the office wearing a proper suit, shined shoes, smelling good with a coffee and a toasted bagel in hand. Not to mention the after breakfast cigarette IN THE OFFICE SITTING AT MY DESK!!!!!! LIsten and learn kids, it was just like it appeared in Mad Men.

Top Bottom