What's new

A good catch in Sweden *restores*

Ok, so here are the restores I mentioned in a previous thread. Right out of the box :)

Paid about 5 USD for the whole set, so I think I got quite a sweet deal ;)

S. Gustafsson
Not sure about scale materials, probably bone. Just need some polish and honing and then ready to go!
proxy.php

Bengall
Slightly warped bakelite scales. Will tr to steam them straight. Blade will need some sanding and honing, but all in all in good shape!
proxy.php

SSA
Bakelite scales. light cleaning of blade and maybe repinning so i can clean off rust around the pivot pin. Edge still in good shape.
proxy.php

Heljestrand Frameback
IVORY scales!! Sweet!! No rust around the pin I think and the scales are nice so i will try to restore this without removing and damaging the ivory. Edge have some mm deep hacks so it will take some time on the DMT CX to fix the edge. Should be a great shaver after that!
proxy.php

Heljestrand No 2
Bakelite scales, edge will have to meet Dr DMT XC before honing. Unfortunately rust around the pivot pin so I might have to repinn it.
proxy.php

CV Dahlgren
Very rusty. Edge looks ok, but I should keep an eye there, it might be too bad to salvage. Probably bone edge. Will need lots of work
proxy.php

Two totally damaged George Butler
with 7 day box and ivory scales. Ill obviously need throw the blades, but the scales will be reused. maybe I will sell the box if someone want to complete a 7day set. It will not handle the weather here well.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Great find

I'm looking on the small screen of my phone, but looks like 3 in ivory. Dont see pours that bone has. Grain, pinning, thickness, wedge seem typical for ivory. Any cracks on other side?

One bakelite/manmade and the othe black one I think is horn. Seems to have some grain to it.

Yes, I really like how the spine and tang go together in a wave shape ;)
Will probably be the first one i restore.
As soon as I figure out the scale material so i don't damage it!

Man, I really like that first one... I have a weakness for smilers.

Those Gustafssons are quite rare!
Somewhat softer steel too then most Swedes.
Very reminiscent of a Sheffield.

E.G Gustafsson razors are not very common to find, it was only E.G & his dad & one apprentice.
So not many were made.
How ever, the apprentice, Johan Hellberg did pretty good once he had learned the trade.

He started his own forge, called J.A Hellberg, one of the more well known Swedish makers

Thanks Jens, I knew we can count on you to fill in with Swedish razor history. I still think you should collect all in a small compendium of about 500 pages or so :001_tt1:

In Lund i actually passed the house where Strindberg lived while writing Inferno...

back on topic it seems as a good idea to save this one as original as possible... Wonder if there is any shellac to be found in Hong Kong.. To find Acrylic for scales only took me a month..

Those Gustafssons are quite rare!
Somewhat softer steel too then most Swedes.
Very reminiscent of a Sheffield.

E.G Gustafsson razors are not very common to find, it was only E.G & his dad & one apprentice.
So not many were made.
How ever, the apprentice, Johan Hellberg did pretty good once he had learned the trade.

He started his own forge, called J.A Hellberg, one of the more well known Swedish makers

In my experience, nothing shaves like a Swede. Takes a while to hone them (if you need to set a bevel), but once that edge is there, it's there to stay for quite a while.
The Gustafsson looks killer, lovely lines. And talking about those framebacks, just picked up and honed a 13/16 Soderén just like your Heljestrand (got 3 spare blades with it, so it'll probably literally last me two lifetimes, if I had them). Seems to be a wicked sharp edge, I bet we're gonna have some great Swedish fun.

I can feel the love.

Well, now I had some time to play with ten and As suspected I had to discard the George butler completely, I did manage to save one set of nice Ivory scales though! ;)

The Bengall, Dahlgren and Gustafsson are all salvageable but have to be rescaled. I might have been able to save the originals, but frankly the quality was so low and ill fitting that I decided to have some resale projects. The Dahlgren is still worrying me somewhat. Inspection with the bare eye show lots of rust, even if the surface cleaned up nicely with some 180 grit wet paper. I will need to see how well the edge survived the rough treatment through the years.

The two Heljestrand and SSA is not much to discuss, scales look good so I will have a go at them today. Cleaning some rust but try to keep the scales on. SSA should be good to go after that, but the two Heljestrand need to have the chips in the edge honed off.

Six out of Eight is not bad! I will show off the restores in separate threads later for you guys ;)

True that there is a lot of rust. Unfortunately, what is not shown in the picture is excessive hone wear and worst of all that someone had a go at the edge with a rough grinding wheel. The edge have now a wave shape with two valleys on each end, both of them going quite deep into the edge, deeper than the stabilizer at the heel. The grinding shell have also had a go at the stabilizer so its real ugly.

That said, i have not thrown away that one just yet. i don't have much hope for it, but the feel of the blade is good and I would love to be able to shave with it... Im saving to for a rainy day - or rather rainy week. But as I said, I don't really have any hope for it.

Am I the only one who can't see the major problems on the top "KEEN" razor???

Isn't it just some rust???

I just my exact copy of that gustafsson the other day. Really bad craced scales thoug but the blade, oh my she´s pretty. Cant wait to get her going. Never heard of that razor brand before and got it cheap.

Top Bottom