What's new

A germaphobe's plan to sanitize and yet not wreck my first vintage razor

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Yeah, you know, I hear you, but I'm trying to get over it. (I'd like to enjoy some of these vintage razors you guys are all raving about.)
Remember it is not the razor that can break the skin it is the razor blade. I would avoid a TTO razor which will have many more places which could harbour germs. I would try a basic three piece with a relatively smooth, non hollow, handle with little or no knurling. A tech would be ideal, it disassembles easily and can be soaked in hot water with no delicate gold plating.

vintage-shaving-gillette-3-piece-fat-handle-tech-safety-razor-made-in-england-1940s-standard-d...jpg

Remember it is not the razor that can break the skin it is the razor blade. I would avoid a TTO razor which will have many more places which could harbour germs. I would try a basic three piece with a relatively smooth, non hollow, handle with little or no knurling. A tech would be ideal, it disassembles easily and can be soaked in hot water with no delicate gold plating.

View attachment 1295638
Thanks. LOL--> The one I bought (Gillette Super Speed Flare Z3) is a TTO but it looks super clean.

And good reminder about the blade being the risk. From what I've read, all the problems of infection have come from things like, "I borrowed my boyfriend's razor to shave my legs."

I've washed over a hundred vintage razors and the only thing one needs is dish washing liquid and a soft toothbrush or towel. Alcohol is a nice disinfectant but unless you plan to shave with it immediately after washing it, you don't even need alcohol. Metal dries to a point where it cannot support germ life.

The only exception is when a razor comes caked in old soap, grime or lime/calcium. I use scrubbing bubbles to knock it all down before cleaning it as usual. Would likely do an alcohol dip on these.

Check out the vintage razors at Razor Emporium. That way it comes to you already professionally cleaned and good to go. You could even give it your own dunk in alcohol for peace of mind, but no need for you to scrub or worry. Just a step up from the auction site or many other sources in terms of cleanliness (I happily buy from those sources as well, but I generally do a little more cleaning in those cases).

...If you would, please correct or tweak it to improve it...
Correction: Put your used/second hand razor (used by god knows who) for sale and get rid of it.
Improvement: Never buy second hand stuff.

All posts here have good ideas, well... except the post explaining that Barbicide is used only for plastic, but all advices are rational and reasonable. Since phobia is completely irrational there goes everything said here to garbage.

...They are probably cleaner than any part of your body...
If I would be to guess, the real hook for a germaphobe would be the word "probably". You were doing fine otherwise, until that slip.

...I personally wouldn't ever buy a pre-owned personal hygiene product as I'd never be satisfied with its cleanliness. Stupid but I just won't do it.
There, you see, I wouldn't do it either. Best advice, and peace of mind.

Enjoy the journey.

Not vintage. Not sanitized. The point I was trying to make was that if you cut yourself shaving, there is a greater chance of introducing bacteria into the cut that is being harbored on you skin, not the razor. In other words, better disinfect your face.
Ah, good point. I've gotten out of the habit of washing my face preshave. I'll get back into it. Thanks.

Check out the vintage razors at Razor Emporium. That way it comes to you already professionally cleaned and good to go. You could even give it your own dunk in alcohol for peace of mind, but no need for you to scrub or worry. Just a step up from the auction site or many other sources in terms of cleanliness (I happily buy from those sources as well, but I generally do a little more cleaning in those cases).
Great site. Thanks for sharing that.

Top Bottom