What's new

A Gentlemens thoughts on Ink?

Perhaps I would feel differently had I not grown up surrounded by folks who had numbers tattooed on their arms.

I spent 25 years in Israel... me and my tattoos... and I had no lack of opportunities to be asked -- always politely -- "Why did you do that to yourself?"

My response? "This is what happens when you don't receive a Jewish education."

I never met an Israeli -- Holocaust-survivor, native-born, or immigrant, male or female, young or old -- who wasn't able to understand and/or accept my explanation.

I got nothing against them, but I decided against getting any permanent ones because even back in my crazy youth days, I realized my opinions would change and the tattoo I might love at that point would make me feel stupid 60 years later.

I have gotten the occasional henna tattoo on my arm, despite the horror stories associated with henna tattoos, because I do think tattoos look cool as a temporary fashion accompaniment.

I once sailed with a seaman who frequently won bar bets about the size of a certain portion of his anatomy. After he suckered someone into betting him, he would pull his pant leg up and show his tattoo of a rooster with a rope around his neck...below his knee.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
As an artist I can appreciate the work and design that goes into many. Others are just cheap decoration. I have none myself but wonder if many young people today will be as pleased with theirs as they age. Someone making this choice at 40 has a better idea than one at 18.

In many ways to me they are an attractive fashion statement.....today. In a moment frozen in time, an artistic, well crafted design on a young lady looks sexy. Twenty years later will it be as attractive? Probably not. Our young 20ish neighbor has very well crafted rosary designs around each ankle and cascading down her little feet.......very cute and young looking yes, but turn the clock ahead and at 35 or 40 with an office job they will look terrible peeking up from any shoes other than boots. Our waitress last night had stars and comets swirling across the back of her right hand, again at 20something, youthful and fun, later in life, maybe not.

Tony

the OP's title asked for " A Gentleman's thoughts of Ink" and many responded very ungentlemanly....tsk tsk guys, let's not be too judgmental. If I don't like someone's style, I keep it to myself. That is how you get by, and succeed in this big world with all these different people in it. :frown:

Most of my friends have tattoos. I have 3, got them all when I was 18. I'm okay with them, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't.

the OP's title asked for " A Gentleman's thoughts of Ink" and many responded very ungentlemanly....tsk tsk guys, let's not be too judgmental. If I don't like someone's style, I keep it to myself. That is how you get by, and succeed in this big world with all these different people in it. :frown:

Could it be they were showing their true colors ? :biggrin:

Hmm. I took it the poster was soliciting opinions on tattoos, as in yay or nay, not "what kinds of tattoos do you like". And as such one should be ready to here some anti-tatoo answers.

My wife has at times thought of getting the birth and death dates of her parents tattooed on her ankle:rolleyes: So far I have been able to talk her out of it. My point is/was that's an odd way to honor her parents memory when you consider the fact that her mom, if she were alive, would never approve of such a thing!

You can change a lot about yourself. You can grow your hair long or cut it very short, try different facial hair styles, dress differently or wear a hat, but a tattoo, no matter how cool or artistic or colorful will most likely outlive your desire to have it.

At least up here (NY/CT area), that's reserved for a tat (usually, but not always (ew) on a girl) that's located in the lower back/upper glute area. Very gross and cheap looking, imho, no matter who gets it.

+1

I've never been and will never be into tatoos for reasons I need not discuss. However, I'm certainly aware of the varied reasons that other people get them so I don't judge. The exception are women who get the Tramp Stamp. The significance of getting a tatoo in that area is that there are no positive connotations for a respectable female. Either you're remarkably ignorant of how it's perceived or you know and don't care. In any event, I stay away..

As for guys that get it.:thumbdown You know the AT&T wireless commercial where two guy friends are eating in a restaurant and one friend leans to his right, exposing his Tramp Stamp? And you remember how the other friend insinuated aloud not just leaving his tatooed friend out of his "5" but also ending their friendship? You remember? Well... Yeah. Exactly.

I've never been and will never be into tatoos for reasons I need not discuss. However, I'm certainly aware of the varied reasons that other people get them so I don't judge. The exception are women who get the Tramp Stamp. The significance of getting a tatoo in that area is that there are no positive connotations for a respectable female. Either you're remarkably ignorant of how it's perceived or you know and don't care. In any event, I stay away..

As for guys that get it.:thumbdown You know the AT&T wireless commercial where two guy friends are eating in a restaurant and one friend leans to his right, exposing his Tramp Stamp? And you remember how the other friend insinuated aloud not just leaving his tatooed friend out of his "5" but also ending their friendship? You remember? Well... Yeah. Exactly.

I agree with the latter, but disagree with the former opinion.

I'm 60-hours/week at the tattoo shop, and I see lots of 'em every day. A nicely done Tramp Stamp can be a real turn-on -- especially if the woman wearing it supplies the right curves to go with it. Trouble is, too many women either don't have the self-awareness or taste to choose the right design.

Get Pricked By A PRO @ Louie Lombi's Tattoo Paradise

M

modern man

If I am ever in FL, I am coming in.

Got to find someone to top Japanese ink. :tongue:

BTW, I don't do flash, you better have a real artist. :biggrin:

I agree with the latter, but disagree with the former opinion.

I'm 60-hours/week at the tattoo shop, and I see lots of 'em every day. A nicely done Tramp Stamp can be a real turn-on -- especially if the woman wearing it supplies the right curves to go with it. Trouble is, too many women either don't have the self-awareness or taste to choose the right design.

Get Pricked By A PRO @ Louie Lombi's Tattoo Paradise

I'm a big fan of curves. :001_tt1: My point though is that since I already don't like tatoos, I'm wary of the female that thinks of using a tatoo as a turn-on, no matter where it is on the body. There are so many other things a woman can do and wear besides getting a tatoo. And most ladies that get a tatoo in that area, regardless of the design, get it with the idea that it could serve as a turn-on.

That tramp stamp (tattoo on a woman's lower back) does absolutely nothing for me either, actually instead of being a turn on, it's one major turn off.

I suspect Ouch's greatest faux pas was in juxtaposing referneces to Holocaust survivors ("folks with numbers on their forearms,") with a thoughtlessly flippant bit of schtick.

I don't think Ouch was spouting schtick. I think he feels this way. There are some that do, and those who opt for the ink take the responsibility of knowing that their work will impact their interactions with some people.

Hmm. I took it the poster was soliciting opinions on tattoos, as in yay or nay, not "what kinds of tattoos do you like". And as such one should be ready to here some anti-tatoo answers.

My wife has at times thought of getting the birth and death dates of her parents tattooed on her ankle:rolleyes: So far I have been able to talk her out of it. My point is/was that's an odd way to honor her parents memory when you consider the fact that her mom, if she were alive, would never approve of such a thing!

You can change a lot about yourself. You can grow your hair long or cut it very short, try different facial hair styles, dress differently or wear a hat, but a tattoo, no matter how cool or artistic or colorful will most likely outlive your desire to have it.

agreed, and many responded with opinions that they are entitled to....

He asked for our thoughts.

I guess maybe my definition on what is a "gentleman" is, was insulted.

To me, a gentleman will take into consideration the people around him, and be tactful in his response. If I am against something that someone does, I would refrain from adding injury or demeaning the personal choices of others, especially since it did not effect me in the slightest. I certainly don't take offense when someone says "I would hate to have a tattoo", or, "I don't like tattoos".. they are stating their personal opinions for which they are entitled to. And I am not posting my reaction towards those people or those types of responses. I wish that we could move forward and be a little more accepting sometimes. I will get off my soapbox here and leave it alone. Anyways, no big deal, I just got my feathers ruffled.

agreed, and many responded with opinions that they are entitled to....

I guess maybe my definition on what is a "gentleman" is, was insulted.

To me, a gentleman will take into consideration the people around him, and be tactful in his response. If I am against something that someone does, I would refrain from adding injury or demeaning the personal choices of others, especially since it did not effect me in the slightest. I certainly don't take offense when someone says "I would hate to have a tattoo", or, "I don't like tattoos".. they are stating their personal opinions for which they are entitled to. And I am not posting my reaction towards those people or those types of responses. I wish that we could move forward and be a little more accepting sometimes. I will get off my soapbox here and leave it alone. Anyways, no big deal, I just got my feathers ruffled.

An anachronism !

I just checked Louie Lombi's Website....is this the shop you work at?

Yes; this is where I'm an apprentice.

If I am ever in FL, I am coming in.

Got to find someone to top Japanese ink. :tongue:

BTW, I don't do flash, you better have a real artist. :biggrin:

Got 'em... waitin' on you, sailor.

I'm a big fan of curves. :001_tt1: My point though is that since I already don't like tatoos, I'm wary of the female that thinks of using a tatoo as a turn-on, no matter where it is on the body. There are so many other things a woman can do and wear besides getting a tatoo. And most ladies that get a tatoo in that area, regardless of the design, get it with the idea that it could serve as a turn-on.

That tramp stamp (tattoo on a woman's lower back) does absolutely nothing for me either, actually instead of being a turn on, it's one major turn off.

It's like politics: they're not campaigning for your votes.

Top Bottom