What's new

A general question - SPYDERCO or BENCHMADE? (POLL)

SPYDERCO or BENCHMADE?

• SPYDERCO

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • BENCHMADE

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I know this question is very general and undefined, but if I ask you what manufacturer you lean towards - Spyderco or Benchmade, which of these two directions, designs and styles you tend to prefer, what will be your preference?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If you're giving me one, Benchmade.
Got a well-worn Barrage that has proved their value.

If it's my credit card, Spyderco.
Got a older Native that's hard to improve on.

And both were used, got in a knife forum. Buy good knives.

AA

Last edited:
I have the Spyderco sharpener, but none of their knives. The sharpener is okay, but it’s a mass produced product that is unremarkable. Their knives may be every bit as good as a Benchmade, but I don’t have that experience.

I have a Benchmade knife and am very impressed with the level of craftsmanship that went into the knife. I would buy their products again.

Spyderco for me. Any time I need a new blade, first place I look is Spyderco to see what's new with them. Sal Glesser would respond personally to questions and even field some repairs, or at least he used to. That meant a lot to me, so I guess I stuck with them. Love their blade steels and handle materials, and for me, their leaf blades are among the most utilitarian.

Both make great knives...

Thought I would post a photo of my Benchmade. It was a presentation knife from my company’s president.

D784A465-DE29-45D1-856E-70F97713F56F.jpeg

Both! In my opinion they are both top brands and you can't go wrong with either. I very much appreciate that all Benchmade knives are made in the US. Spyderco spans the price spectrum with knives made in China, Japan, Taiwan and the US. The US produced Spydercos are some great knives.

They both make some really nice knives, and I’ve got a bunch of each. But I choose Spyderco because I feel they innovate a lot more, and I want to support that, and because Benchmade pricing has become ridiculous.
This is exactly how I feel. Spyderco is always on the cutting edge. I do like Benchmade, but can't deal with the price. Even the cheaper models from Spyderco are excellent knives (I own a few that I would trade or sale).

I have 3 Benchmades and over a dozen Spyderco/Byrds. I lean toward Spyderco but mainly due to price. Both brands are excellent IME.

I can't remember why, but Benchmade is the enemy in my gun forums. I don't have an issue with their performance, but between the two I always carried Spyderco when I was active duty.

I collected and used Spydercos for a couple of years, Benchmades were also there but only a few.

I stepped out of the game when both of them blew the USD 200 MSRP mark for run of the mill standard production knives.

As I'm still fond of backlocks and the look of the classic Spydercos I got myself last year an Endela and a Police LWT. I'll post a picture of some older collectible ones later on.

I’ve honestly never owned a Benchmade. My first “real” knife I ever bought with my own money was a Spyderco, and they’ve been my favorite brand ever since. It helps that they also happen to be outstanding knives.

Years ago, it was Benchmade. Sold all my Benchmades except for the classic and Venable 710 M2. Great knife! Spyderco knives are what I carry, PM2 S30V, MANIX 2 CF S90V AND SAGE 2 Ti S30V. Slim, well designed and built and steel that is excellent all around.

I can't remember why, but Benchmade is the enemy in my gun forums. I don't have an issue with their performance, but between the two I always carried Spyderco when I was active duty.
They were helping the local police by using their factory machinery to destroy illegal confiscated guns. Gun folks went nuts and many boycotted Benchmade. Pretty crazy IIRC.

Made in USA benhmade if I’m dropping big bucks.

Made in USA Kershaw for my use and abuse edc. I tend to lose knives as well....

Spyderco‘s made in USA ends up in a grey area that is too expensive for an edc that gets abused/lost but not really much nicer than the Kershaw’s.

Top Bottom