What's new

A Gem in the rough

Are there any Gem users out there? I feel these are quite often overlooked, but can provide a super shave. Check out the instructions that came with this one, and look at the angle.
Cheers, DJ.

There is a long thread at SMF about GEM's. I got this last week and have been using the teflon coated blades from Electron Microscopy Sciences, and am very happy with the shave. It has a target circle on the head you are supposed to keep flat on the face for the best shave. Click for bigger pics.

Cool Rick, do you have a link for those blades? I also think that the razor I purchased, NIB was a great deal @ $8.50 shipped.
Cheers, DJ.

With The Grain said:
ah the micromatic, loved it since it touched my face maybe a month or 2 ago, mess up the angle and it's not friendly, keep it right and it chops down hairs quicker than ANY DE and very smoothly. the thread on SMF is easily the best resource regarding these imo, you'll see I and many others have chimed in on them over and over again. very under rated as a single blade razor (ie vs injectors)
Thanks guys, I will have to check out that SMF thread.
Cheers, DJ.

rmcnelly said:
DJ, You got a great deal on your razor. I think I was watching that one, was it in a closed sealed box?. I splurged on the bling and did a buy it now for the gold one. It was still only $23 shipped.

I got 100 of the 71970 blades here for $23 (and some PTFE coated injector blades too):
http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx

Others are going for the (121-3) 200 blade box for $33 here:
http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1606431

Thanks for the links, my razor was a buy it now deal, so I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. That is a great deal on those blades, do you like them better than the Gems?
Cheers, DJ.

I discovered the advantages of SE's and Injector's a long time ago, and have been preaching the same for a while as well. For me, the results are far superior to DE's. Anyne who has been following my progress (or lack thereof) since I joined will know that I have had a lot of trouble getting a consistently good angle, the great thing about this type of razor is that the angle is built in. Also, eventhough the head geometry is different from a DE, I think that using an SE for a while gives you a better understanding of the optimum angle and can help improve/ restore your form and technique with a DE. As far as longevity of the blades, because they are thicker than your average DE blade, they tend to last longer. Also, the GEM blades are referred to as the dog's b******'s blades on SMF for good reason.
If you are struggling getting to grips with a DE, or you just want to spend time relearning correct form, take the plunge and get an injector or a Single Edge blade, they rule.

Dinder1 said:
Thanks for the links, my razor was a buy it now deal, so I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. That is a great deal on those blades, do you like them better than the Gems?
Cheers, DJ.
I'm unsure what you meant DJ. I have not used any other blade in my GEM except the Teflon coated stainless blades I referenced. I never tried the ones found in the drug store. I've read if the blade is not stainless, it will begin to rust in the razor between shaves.

rmcnelly said:
I'm unsure what you meant DJ. I have not used any other blade in my GEM except the Teflon coated stainless blades I referenced. I never tried the ones found in the drug store. I've read if the blade is not stainless, it will begin to rust in the razor between shaves.

Sorry, what I meant to ask is do you find the blades purchased from the links above to be better than the Gem Blue star etc. that I can find at my local drug store?
Cheers, DJ.

With The Grain said:
some straight shavers have said nothing but a GEM will get them as close as their straights, the thicker blade doesnt bite in and chops down thick, stubburn and 'close to the skin' neck hairs easier than any DE (based on blades they use alone). Sometimes you'll hear mention of "time to stubble up" in this category, a BBS shave from the micromatic does seemingly last longer than any of my DE's. Guys who have heavy beards or wire hairs would be well suited in trying one of these razors. A recent thread on the best razor for a newbie even brought 3 write in votes for a EVER READY and Micromatics.

as far as blade life goes, the CVS brand i'll only use for 3-4 shaves and then toss (these blades you must dry after each use), the Dog's Bollocks blades from tedpella you dont have to dry and last a lot longer.

Thanks James, it looks like I'm going to have to buy one doesn't it?

Any kind soul have an extra GEM blade or two they might be able to send me? Would be happy to pay shipping, but don't want to take the plunge on 100+ just yet, and these so not seem to be available at Walgreens or Rite Aid. Located in California, thanks in advance :)

yomuppet said:
Any kind soul have an extra GEM blade or two they might be able to send me? Would be happy to pay shipping, but don't want to take the plunge on 100+ just yet, and these so not seem to be available at Walgreens or Rite Aid. Located in California, thanks in advance :)

I dont know if you are going to buy one of the group buy injectors, but if you are, you can also purchase 10 packs of Gem blades from the same source.
Cheers, DJ.

yomuppet said:

PM me you address and I'll get a couple out in the mail to you.

Thanks for the insight on the propper shave angle. Have had one , a micro-matic, for some time now and could never get it to shave right. I'll have to try again now that I have some friends to help show the way.

Top Bottom