What's new

A Final Hike With Pops

Two weeks ago my Dad and I went on what will be our last backpacking adventure. Dad’s health has gone down to the point that he cannot walk very well even without a pack. He said he was retiring to campground camping in his camper lol. We tried to get my little brother to come along but sadly he wasn’t interested. We spent the night along the Chattooga River on the GA/SC border and enjoyed each other’s company, great conversation, amazing weather, and some wonderful memories made. It’s taken me two weeks to be able to make this post as I’m loathe to admit that I won’t spend another night out in the woods with my dad. But alas, time marches on!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Lovely trip you went on!

Last time I saw my Dad, over 20 years ago, he was laying in bed at home and couldn't get into his wheelchair without help, and he was a WWII combat rifleman...he was tough. He took me hunting, fishing, taught me farming and gardening, bought me a horse, that had two foals, when I was a kid and between him and an uncle showed me how to ride.

I got in the car to go back out of state when I last saw him, and something in me just said....

I went back in and said "I love you Dad". He looked at me and kinda nodded.

The next phone call I got was....

Cherish your Dad while he's still here...it's fleeting.

Lovely country you were hiking in! I bet your Dad loved that.

I can understand the bittersweet nature of that trip and why you delayed the post. May you have many more, albeit different, memorable times.

I had a similar experience with my dad during the 2016 Spring Turkey Hunt, my last hunting/hiking trip.

As others have said, cherish the memories and find new ways to build upon them.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
When I take my father to the ranch I help him into the blind, help him spot the animals, and assist him with his shot if he chooses to take one. I do all the butchering and cleaning up. I do all the cooking too.
It’s just like daddy used to do when my brother and I were growing up just in reverse.
The only difference is that Dad still gives me life lessons without my knowing it and still shows me what is meant by being a man, father, and husband.
Your days of long hikes with your dad may be over but there’s still lots of camping remaining for the 2 of you. You just will have to shoulder most if not all the work. But let him think he’s still helping.
The most important part is that the 2 of you will be together.

Cherish the moments!
They are so special.

The Walk, Sawyer Brown.
It's sad when you realize one chapter of life has ended. What really matters is you recognized this and this will motivate you to find other great things to spend time together doing.

Folks, I just read that @bryant was tragically killed in a car accident last week. Which makes this thread all the more poignant and sad. I hope his dad's memories of this hike are as vivid as bryant's were.

Folks, I just read that @bryant was tragically killed in a car accident last week. Which makes this thread all the more poignant and sad. I hope his dad's memories of this hike are as vivid as bryant's were.
+1. I never meet @bryant, but what I've read here I think I would have liked him. Regrets to his Father, Wife and families.

Top Bottom