What's new

A few weeks in....

So, you probably know my story:) I started smoking a pipe a few weeks ago. Off to a great start! I started with a blend from our local pipe and cigar shop. Then picked up some Prince Albert. Then some master blend cherry from Walgreens. Finally some Carter Hall and Captain Black Royal. I ended up blending the cherry and tobacco shop blend. Then I found out the shop blend was very similar to Royal. Haven’t tried Carter Hall yet. I have a no name European briar, billiard straight. Also received a Missouri Meerschaum legend flat. So my favorite combo is my cob with Captain Black Royal. Second favorite is briar with Prince Albert. I think I could be happy smoking the cob and Captain forever. Any thing I should try, any tips or suggestions are appreciated and welcomed! Let me have it!!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Congrats!

No joke, but you might be better off financially if you stick to cobs and OTC Tobacco. Especially if you already reached Nirvana:).
Captain Black will likely be around forever so no need for a deep cellar of it.

The Captain Black seemed a little high priced, at the local cigarette shop, compared to online. I probably have enough tobacco to last a few months. I would like to try a small amount of some “quality” tobacco, just to see if there’s any difference. It seems I like cavendish. But I am definitely in my happy place with the goods I have. Even have a pipe rest now, scavenged from an Avon decanter of Leather aftershave!
FAEBE97A-004E-40E7-A289-0092B2810346.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Your tastes in tobacco will probably change over time. You can buy a huge variety of bulk tobaccos by the ounce, store them in the smaller 4 oz. (holds about 2 oz. of toby) mason jars. Check out the bulk varieties of Lane, Sutliff and Peter Stokkebye, among many others. Lanes RLP-6 is Captain Black without the propylene glycol that the OTC variety has. Much better and cheaper to!

Lane Limited RLP-6 | Buy Lane Limited Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes

@nortac thanks for the link!! I took your advice and got a variety.
6E2124C8-B2FB-42CB-ADDA-2A2B2009ACEE.png

For the price I see for OTC, this bulk looks good. Is that a good variety?

I have been smoking a pipe for several months now and after trying many OTC blends and others such as Sutliff or Lane, I have personally found Boswells to be one of my absolute my favorites. Their Bear Blend is my go to aromatic. I would really recommend that you give them a try. You can call them and get 1oz. samples as opposed to having to purchase a full 2 ounces. Hope this helps you along the way in your new journey.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Villalobos , that should keep you busy for awhile. If you find you don't care for something at first, jar it up and try it again several months later. Your tastes will change and the tobacco may change.

Top Bottom