What's new

A few shaves in- and a question.

I'm a few shaves in on straight shaving, having used primarily a DE before. I'm not getting BBS, and have to admit to using a cart on my upper lip. On the first shave I attempted the upper lip with disastrous results. I do my upper lip first and then quickly hide my shame razor on the top shelf of the high bathroom cabinet again. I've shaved probably 5 times now with it, and have read a few threads saying that it takes most guys somewhere around a month to develop the familiarity with the razor to build real skill. My question is whether or not the shaving skill transfers from one straight razor to another, or if you have to adjust to new razors based on weight, degree of hollow, etc.
-Claven

My skills transfer, mind the fact that the blade conditions are the same. I have 43 triple pass shaves under my belt and play around with 5 different razors.

I have maybe twice as many single pass shaves under my belt that were finished up with two DE passes.

When my straights are sharp, I am getting BBS on the cheeks and DFS to BBS elsewhere with a decent edge.

Just be patient, technique builds on practice. I check my growth mapping after every shave and am finding that my original beliefs about my mapping are changing. Getting it right with a straight required that you really know the minutiae of the direction of hair growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one thing that I'm having a problem with. Under my neck, the hair growth is kind of upward from the bottom and outwards under my jawlines, while straight down just under the chin. I've often wished my blade was shorter. 3 inches seems a standard length, but it's inconveniently long. If the blade was an inch shorter, I think I'd be able to get the hair on my neck a lot smoother.

That's one thing that I'm having a problem with. Under my neck, the hair growth is kind of upward from the bottom and outwards under my jawlines, while straight down just under the chin. I've often wished my blade was shorter. 3 inches seems a standard length, but it's inconveniently long. If the blade was an inch shorter, I think I'd be able to get the hair on my neck a lot smoother.

I’m pretty much the same. I shave vertically on the neck the first two passes and down on the third.

I shave my submandibular triangle at a 45° angle from bottom outside up to the center line on my last two passes. That’s pretty much ATG on the last two passes.

I'll keep at it. There's a little skintag on my right side smt that I've cut off twice trying to do exactly what you described. Working around that little thing is a challenge, and somewhere deep down I think I hope that if I cut if off again it won't grow back, but it seems to like living there, despite the hazard.

I'll keep at it. There's a little skintag on my right side smt that I've cut off twice trying to do exactly what you described. Working around that little thing is a challenge, and somewhere deep down I think I hope that if I cut if off again it won't grow back, but it seems to like living there, despite the hazard.

I call that plastic surgery. My DE shaves have prepped me by removing such obstacles. I’ve probably been lucky.

I'm a few shaves in on straight shaving, having used primarily a DE before. I'm not getting BBS, and have to admit to using a cart on my upper lip. On the first shave I attempted the upper lip with disastrous results. I do my upper lip first and then quickly hide my shame razor on the top shelf of the high bathroom cabinet again. I've shaved probably 5 times now with it, and have read a few threads saying that it takes most guys somewhere around a month to develop the familiarity with the razor to build real skill. My question is whether or not the shaving skill transfers from one straight razor to another, or if you have to adjust to new razors based on weight, degree of hollow, etc.
-Claven
Being ashamed of using more than one tool is an archaic notion. The wise man uses what works best.

For the new SR shaver use the razor you have the most experience with on those difficult facial areas until your muscle memory kicks in.

-Claven

A straight is a straight, no problem from one to the other.
Do whatever you need to do until you have it down pat. Practice, practice. When you nail it a few times -you'll never go back.

as someone who is about 5 DE shaves in, take is slow. I believe it is not the tool, but the operator that makes a great shave. Do not rush it, and if you need to use a DE, don't hesitate to. I do, other's have. Keep going, you will learn a bit with each shave, and get more comfortable and confident.

I'm just a little further along than you (10 -12 shaves or so) and I used a DE to touch up my first couple shaves then decided to use the straight for everything after shave 3. It's funny some areas on my neck that were hard to get with a DE are easy with the straight but some other areas are a little tougher. I don't worry yet about getting a super-close shave and I am doing 2 passes mostly WTG and some XTG. It's maybe not quite as close overall as my DE shaves but it's more comfortable and my skin feels really good. Under the nose and on the chin I sometimes use 2 hands for more control - your normal grip in one hand plus 2 fingers on the end of the blade to guide it around the tighter areas. Under my nose I kind of hold the blade at almost a 90 degree angle and scrape down like I'm squeegeeing the lather off. Muscle memory is definitely kicking in and I'm far more comfortable than the first few shaves. Switching hands is easy now - it felt so awkward at first. I'm a lefty so that helps. So far I've used the same razor and have been stropping on leather and a pasted pasted strop, which I've used once to freshen the edge.

I use a Schick Injector under my nose, lower lip, and side burns. It’s just a better tool for tight spots.

Some members have facial hair that eliminates the problem.

For me, it’s about experienceing the past and enjoying the ride.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
-Claven
Once you learn to shave with one, you can shave with others. Over time you will develop preferences - which will change through eternity. I prefer smaller blades that are quick and maneuverable but I shave with larger ones too. I enjoy the variety. It’s just shaving.

Thank you

My pleasure. I'm very new to this also. I came across that thread and thought , thank God, because I had no idea what these guys were talking about. Hahahaha
Now I'm just trying to remember all of the abbreviations and acronyms and there are a lot.
Good luck. This is a great place.

My pleasure. I'm very new to this also. I came across that thread and thought , thank God, because I had no idea what these guys were talking about. Hahahaha
Now I'm just trying to remember all of the abbreviations and acronyms and there are a lot.
Good luck. This is a great place.

Seems to be more of a problem from some on the straight forums than others. @steveclarkus is the member I consider to be the most helpful because he took the time to reach out and explain many processes. We've become good friends. I recommend him to new members that might want to have their questions answered. Being retired, he doesn't have anything else to do.....LOL!!!!!:a29:Thanks again, Skinny Steve...….:)

Top Bottom