What's new

A few questions from a new user...

Hi I have been shaving with a DE for about 2 weeks now and already it feels as if my technique has improved 100 times. However, I have a few questions...

1) During the course of my shave my shaving cream dries my lips out, would it help if I used a more moisurising soap such as Mitchells Wool Fat?

2) I am completely hooked and enjoy the whole experience however I am quite short of time so was wondering if there were any good time saving tips ( I know most of you will say that DE shaving is about taking your time and enjoying it, and I do like to do this but only at weekends when I have more time...)

3) I don't have much growth so would it be better for my skin to shave after a few days growth or can I shave everyday (as I hate little prickly bits!!) if my prep is good enough...

4) Any recomendations on a good cheap post shave balm

Thanks

Hi I have been shaving with a DE for about 2 weeks now and already it feels as if my technique has improved 100 times. However, I have a few questions...

1) During the course of my shave my shaving cream dries my lips out, would it help if I used a more moisurising soap such as Mitchells Wool Fat?

2) I am completely hooked and enjoy the whole experience however I am quite short of time so was wondering if there were any good time saving tips ( I know most of you will say that DE shaving is about taking your time and enjoying it, and I do like to do this but only at weekends when I have more time...)

3) I don't have much growth so would it be better for my skin to shave after a few days growth or can I shave everyday (as I hate little prickly bits!!) if my prep is good enough...

Thanks

2) If you shave after a shower, you can let the brush soak while you shower and your beard is also getting moisture from showering. You can reduce the number of passes if the results are good enough for you. I think the main thing is speeding up maybe the prep or reducing passes. Don't try to hurry the actual shave since mistakes there could hurt.

4) I have not tried it myself, but saw some decent reviews on the stuff walmart carries. Nivea I think it's called. Don't quote me on that, but checkout the review section.

Regarding #1, do you leave shaving cream on your lips during your shave? Personally, I'm not too fond of the taste of shaving cream, so after lathering my face, I wipe my lips clean with my index finger. I suppose that you could put aloe on them afterward if they still get dry/chapped.

4) I have not tried it myself, but saw some decent reviews on the stuff walmart carries. Nivea I think it's called. Don't quote me on that, but checkout the review section.
Yep, Nivea is cheap and readily available. Goes for about $5/6.

If you're really short on time, you could always do what others do and shave at night when you have plenty of time to relax and enjoy your shave...

ye I do tend to leave it there - may stop now!!

Also anyone tried Nivia sensitive skin post shave balm - is it any better than the normal one...

Lastly what do you guys think about Mitchells Wool Fat?

Thanks

I sometimes roll my lips over my teeth when I'm lathering to avoid getting lather on them. Otherwise I put on lather liberally up to near my lips and then be a little more delicate with the brush applying lather around them.

No one else had suggested this yet, but face lathering saves a bit of time. Mantic (the shaving guru round these here parts) recently demonstrated on one of his youtube videos how one could get a DE shave in ten minutes. Having tried it myself, I can testify that it does work well. And I usually take 25-30 minutes to shave if I'm not in a hurry.

I have managed a passable shave with gel and a cheap plastic DE razor (less likely to get damaged or do damage if dropped) in the shower in under 5 minutes but that is desperate measures.

I recommend adding a little more water to it or refreshing it before you shave around your mouth.

Practice, Practice, Practice. I can do a full 3-4 pass shave in about 5 minutes including prep, lather and post if I need to. Normally I afford myself about 15 minutes, but as your technique improves you will get faster and more efficient.

You can shave daily, in fact with little growth it will probably be easier for your to shave daily than it is for those of us that have beards that rival Grizzly Adams. Just remember very little pressure, let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Readily available, affordable and works very well (click me).

Top Bottom