What's new

A few of my handguns

I have been off the site for a while, glad to see some old faces and glad meet some new people.

Since moving back to California I got back into going to the firing range. Just a few of my handguns that I have acquired in the last 20 months or so.

full

full

This is my baby, my favorite handgun that I own, a Smith and Wesson Model 686 with Altamont Walnut Grips.

As much as I love her, .357 Magnum and .38 Special isn't the cheapest round to shoot, and I like to go to the range every week.

I go through about 500 rounds per week with these two, a Ruger SP-101 in .22LR and my Browning Buck Mark Plus UDX​

full

You are well fixed up for handguns with your choices. A six-inch .357 Magnum revolver comes about as close as a "one size fits all" for most reasonable chores one could ask of a handgun as any other handgun out there could.

Once one gets his all-purpose center fire handgun nailed down, his second choice (maybe third choice too, hah) has got to be a .22 of some sort. You covered both bases with good quality .22s, a revolver and an automatic.

Yep, you're fixed up.

Oh yeah. Meant to say that I like your Altamonts on your Model 686. There are a lot Altamont stocks that appeal to me. I bought a pair for a Colt Government Model a couple years back, even requested a minor custom feature be added to the order and Altamont came through like a champ. Good lookin' stocks and a trifling amount charged for the extra work.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have been off the site for a while, glad to see some old faces and glad meet some new people.

Since moving back to California I got back into going to the firing range. Just a few of my handguns that I have acquired in the last 20 months or so.

full

full
This is my baby, my favorite handgun that I own, a Smith and Wesson Model 686 with Altamont Walnut Grips.

As much as I love her, .357 Magnum and .38 Special isn't the cheapest round to shoot, and I like to go to the range every week.

I go through about 500 rounds per week with these two, a Ruger SP-101 in .22LR and my Browning Buck Mark Plus UDX​

full

I think I like this guy.

Interestingly enough, I've been thinking lately about a .22 to play around with for bullseye shooting. I've been thinking about the S&W Victory or the Buck Mark. I tried to go to the High Standard website and look at their .22s but I found out the company had closed. How does that Buck Mark shoot?

Oh yeah. Meant to say that I like your Altamonts on your Model 686. There are a lot Altamont stocks that appeal to me. I bought a pair for a Colt Government Model a couple years back, even requested a minor custom feature be added to the order and Altamont came through like a champ. Good lookin' stocks and a trifling amount charged for the extra work.

I love Altamont. I personally think that they make some of the finest grips, at very affordable pricing. I am looking at purchasing a pair of the K Square 'Coke Bottle' Target grips in walnut just for my birthday. I figured it would be nice to switch out for a change every now and then.

I may add a pair of their 1911 Colt Government Model grips to the cart as well, I've been eyeballing their 1911 Govt. Classic Panel Imitation Stag, but my wife thinks they look too "blingy". I think they look classic, but hey, what do I know.

I think I like this guy.

Interestingly enough, I've been thinking lately about a .22 to play around with for bullseye shooting. I've been thinking about the S&W Victory or the Buck Mark. I tried to go to the High Standard website and look at their .22s but I found out the company had closed. How does that Buck Mark shoot?

The Buckmark shots like a dream. I swear you feel like you are cheating when you shoot with her. I have only made a few minor adjustment to my rear sites, but I hit like I am an expert with her. Just a fun, fun, fun pistol to bring to the range. Very tight groups, nice trigger, excellent hand feel.

The only cons are needing a hex wrench to break her down, and then if you don't use Loctite, will need to bring with to tighten the rear nut down. That is my only gripe.

That said, I am running an experiment on her right now. According to Browning, you do not need to do a full breakdown until 5,000 rounds. I have about 4,000 rounds on her now, and not one misfire, nor failure to eject. Also, I have to give some credit to CCI, as even their Blazer ammo is great.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The Buckmark shots like a dream. I swear you feel like you are cheating when you shoot with her. I have only made a few minor adjustment to my rear sites, but I hit like I am an expert with her. Just a fun, fun, fun pistol to bring to the range. Very tight groups, nice trigger, excellent hand feel.

The only cons are needing a hex wrench to break her down, and then if you don't use Loctite, will need to bring with to tighten the rear nut down. That is my only gripe.

That said, I am running an experiment on her right now. According to Browning, you do not need to do a full breakdown until 5,000 rounds. I have about 4,000 rounds on her now, and not one misfire, nor failure to eject. Also, I have to give some credit to CCI, as even their Blazer ammo is great.

That sounds good...going to have to give the Browning a close look; I like the looks of the slab sided barrel. The S&W Victory also uses the allen screws, but I have Loctite.

Oh, @OkieStubble both the Browning Buck Mark and the S&W Victory are HAMMER fired. :001_tt2:

Although I don't really NEED another .22. My Colt New Frontier shoots better than I do, but I WANT one.

dsc_0006-2-jpg.904937

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That is beautiful. While I like my pistols, there is something about a revolver that just feels right.

Yes there is, and I've been shooting single actions since I was about...10.

I've been really, really, looking at the Buck Mark...and the after market barrels. I'm starting to go down another rabbit hole...bullseye shooting.

And then there are some more after market stuffs.

Browning Buck Mark Trigger Upgrade - TANDEMKROSS

That is fully expected. Young 'uns. Sigh.

The Buckmark is a good gun. They usually have a decent trigger right out of the box.

I am more of a fan of the Ruger MK guns, though. I have installed Volquartsen trigger kits in a few. I have also used just the VQ sear and did a trigger job using the factory trigger on a bunch. I end up with the same results for a little more time and a little less money spent.

The new MK IV has a nice hefty feel in your hand now because the new grip frame is machined from one piece of steel instead of being two pieces of stamped sheet metal welded together like on the earlier MK generations.

Last edited:

Buckmark's are nice. About 30 years ago I had a choice to make and went with a S&W M 41, 7 1/2" barrel. Later I found what they call a 5" field barrel and bought one of those. Neat thing about the M41, is that to breakdown you lock the slide back, pull the trigger guard down and the barrel and rear sight extension just lift off. then pull slide back and up and it's broken down as far as it needs. Barrels are interchangeable so I can go from my long heavy barrel that shoots like a rifle to the short handy one in seconds. Some after market makers like Clarks are offering barrels with pictnanny rail tops for those wanting scopes, red dots, ect.

Top Bottom