What's new

A few more examples of eBay mis-identifications.

I was checking out the bay because I've found a couple of Aristocrats I want to sell and, man oh man, there are at least four razors advertised as Aristocrats that are actually something totally different in an Aristocrat box! Two of them appear to the New style and I think the other is a ball-end, but they're three-piece razors. Just goes to show what can happen on eBay to those who trust too much and know too little!

I emailed one of those wannabe-aristocrats-that-really-was-a-tech sellers and they took it down right away - at least that seller admitted to their mistake and corrected the situation by downing the auction...

but I guess if you find a box that says 'aristocrat' and there's a razor in there that 'seems' to fit, why would someone question it? Maybe that's how it was sold to them? Who's to say...

I emailed one of those wannabe-aristocrats-that-really-was-a-tech sellers and they took it down right away - at least that seller admitted to their mistake and corrected the situation by downing the auction...

but I guess if you find a box that says 'aristocrat' and there's a razor in there that 'seems' to fit, why would someone question it? Maybe that's how it was sold to them? Who's to say...

Lucky. Most of the time they yell at you or insult you.

I've seen it go the other way too where the mismatched item was more valuable than what the seller assumed they had... In those cases it's best not to say anything :whistling:

I was victim to a similar situation.

At the beginning of my DE obsession, when I knew next to nothing (including anything on B&B), I ordered a "40's Style Super Speed." It was being sold in a Milord case and while I thought it was a coveted 1940's no date code SS, it turned out to be an aluminum press of the 1958 Black Tip. Luckily, it cleaned up really well, so I feel like I at least got my money's worth, but as they always say, caveat emptor on all things ebay.

Yeah, I emailed a couple of these sellers. Both thanked me for the info, but left their postings unchanged. So it goes.

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. They probably type in "gold Gillette razor" and it was the first thing that popped up. I know when I bought my tech and was doing some research on my phone the Aristocrat kept popping up. Others say "yeah, that looks like what I have" and just go with it. Saw it many times trying to buy parts for the old jeeps I had.

Since i'm a recent returnee to the 'real' wetshaving after 25 years of throwaways, canned foam,canned gel & a variety of free or gifted GII's, Mach III's, a Quattro's I decided I needed to see what was what. I noticed very quickly on ebay that many vendors advertised 'Slim adjustables' as the more desired & expensive 'Fatboy', with some setting their price accordingly. I also noticed a variety of Super Speeds turning up in 'Adjustable' boxes. Some were grateful for being informed, some didn't respond & didn't update their ad!!! I was surprised at the misinformation being passed off as knowledge from some of these " antique & collectable " types. I know very little but I knew enough to check!!!

Top Bottom