What's new

A few head-shaving questions...

So Dorco no longer offers the Pace 3 cartridges. This means I need an alternative, and I just can't see me doing 7 blades. In looking at alternatives, the DE razor came up. I tried a straight razor before, but it produced more anxiety than any feeling of relaxation. I'm now retired, so I do have more time, but was wondering if DE could be a nice compromise.

Questions related to head-shaving:

1 - open or closed comb? Is there a consensus?
2 - preferred blade?
3 - will hand soap work? I've been using that w/ the Dorco cartridges, mainly because it rinses out a lot easier than gels, oils, etc.
4 - preferred handle weight?

Thanks ahead of time,

I have shaved my head with a DE buy I prefer a cart. I too used the Pace 4 and decided to go with the 5 blade that amazon has which is also available to me locally. I can get 2 weeks at least per cart so the cost is still minimal.

As far as a DE, I would suggest an adjustable especially depending on how often you shave. I shave my head daily so a mild DE works fine. If I shaved every other day, I would need something more aggressive.

Blades are very razor and skin/hair dependent. If you choose the DE route, then just buy a blade sampler to see which one works best.

I also just use the same shave soap for my head as I do my face.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I've been shaving my head with a Schick Type G injector to a few years. Super intuitive and could use it in my sleep. Might want to give it a try! Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks for the feedback. Will have to see what’s available here in Mexico.
Forgot to ask: I have managed to nick my head 2-3 times a year with 3-blade cartridges. Will DE’s be more or less risky for this?

A mild DE should be less risky. I have nicked myself a time or two with a DE but never anything major. 3 blade carts seem to be worse for nicking my head than even a twin blade.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I prefer an open comb Timeless .95 stainless steel and a UFO stainless handle. It is efficient. Mild razors require more passes and give me more irritation. You may want to start with a cheap mild razor to get a feel for it, as it is a different feel than a cartridge. The Timeless is a weighty razor and that lets it do the cutting without having to force it. I prefer Gillette Nacet or Platinum as a head blade. I have found a quality shave soap to be far superior to hand soaps for a smooth, irritation-free shave. I am cutting a full head of thick hair. Everyone is different and finding what works for you is part of the fun. Good luck.

Welcome aboard! Here are my suggestions in answer to your questions:

DE or SE would be be worth trying. Just give yourself a bit of time to master these skills.

1 - open or closed comb? There is no consensus. Some OC are mild and some SB options are aggressive. Which works best depends on your hair and skin characteristics.

2 - preferred blade? Blade preference depends very much on the individual and also on your razor choice. Your best bet is to purchase a blade sampler or two to determine what works best.

3 - will hand soap work? I've been using that w/ the Dorco cartridges, mainly because it rinses out a lot easier than gels, oils, etc. Some here do shave with hand soap. BUT I would not recommend that approach. Shaving soaps and creams are specifically designed to provide better results.

4 - preferred handle weight? Weight is less important to me than how the razor is balanced IMO. I like both heavy and light razors.

Mostly, enjoy the journey!!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So Dorco no longer offers the Pace 3 cartridges. This means I need an alternative, and I just can't see me doing 7 blades. In looking at alternatives, the DE razor came up. I tried a straight razor before, but it produced more anxiety than any feeling of relaxation. I'm now retired, so I do have more time, but was wondering if DE could be a nice compromise.

Questions related to head-shaving:

1 - open or closed comb? Is there a consensus?
2 - preferred blade?
3 - will hand soap work? I've been using that w/ the Dorco cartridges, mainly because it rinses out a lot easier than gels, oils, etc.
4 - preferred handle weight?

Thanks ahead of time,
I keep my head shaves simple. I have a dedicated RazoRock SLOC for my head and I just use regular old Barbersol. I usually pair the razor with a GSB (I recommend corking...). I get close comfortable shaves with that combination. As always YMMV.

For a long time I used the same razor and blade to shave my head that I used earlier on my face and neck. However, I began to have some difficulty shaving the back part of my head by my neck. As a result, I ended up getting a Mach III razor and use that exclusively to shave my head. I use the same soap and brush on my head as I use on my face.

1, 2, and 4 will all be trial and error.

3 is a no for me. You can probably get a passable shave with any soap, but for the price of a few cups of coffee per year, you can buy a decent soap or cream and enjoy the shave and the results so much more.

I use an Atra/Tracii pivot twin blade. You can still buy new Atra handles on Amazon. Col Conk makes a nice handle. And you can buy 100 Personna Atra/Tracii carts for $35US on Amazon.

old thread, but just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Now back in the States so options are wide open!

Top Bottom