What's new

A Female Convert's Story

My wife and a few of her friends wetshave with a DE. They don't get the enjoyment that you and I and others here get from a nice lathering and slow shave. To them it is a means to an end. Also, they used to make fun of my hobby but now I just get the blank stare, like they're just waiting for my rant to be over when I start talking about it :yawn:.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I always like a good story...and you have certainly garnered the attention of a lot of guys(those who posted more than once are stalkers). It is good to have a women's perspective on shaving and how you might perceive this great past-time.

Welcome to the jungle.

I always like a good story...and you have certainly garnered the attention of a lot of guys(those who posted more than once are stalkers). It is good to have a women's perspective on shaving and how you might perceive this great past-time.

Welcome to the jungle.
Always glad when my sass is appreciated

Well written, great story!! The best part is, the fiance who taught you is a member. I would like to hear his point of view when you asked him to teach you :thumbup:

Hello B&B…. so I see you’ve met my Fiancee. Yes, I’m the guy who taste-tested his TOBS grapefruit cream and scared the heck out of my woman with the leather strops in my bathroom. Haven’t been on for awhile as I was on purchase sabbatical and the ADs start gearing up with every forum I get into. Past forays have resulted in the five or so brush-restoration projects I have going, lapping film, sandpaper so fine a grit you could use it as Kleenex, resto razors, custom straight razor storage, etc, etc, etc.

My sabbatical just crashed and burned like Vince Wilfork on a hot air balloon ride.

So her story is pretty darned accurate. When she first came to the house I knew it was only a matter of time before she’d use the bathroom and see the cluster of brushes and razors festooned around the sink. I mentioned I was a traditional wet-shaving enthusiast but the connotations were simply not clear. The look on her face when she saw the strops was amazing…she really did start to back away from me….and the only thing I could think of to do was show her the whole den. Yeah. That went really well. Shock and horror turned to stunned puzzlement and she gingerly picked through the labels of the first row of aftershaves, muttered something like ‘uh-huh’ and promptly went into the living room. I knew I couldn’t leave it at that because one way or the other I looked like a crazy person. She made the mistake of asking me why I needed all that stuff and so….I told her. Started out with the benefits (like cost-effectiveness *snort*) and then outlined some of the finer differences between a boar brush, badger, silvertip and my High Mountain white badger. I even pointed out that the last one was a Rudy Vey custom brush! (I may as well have told her that it was chewed into shape by a pack of turtles for all the effect that statement had.) I ran through a daily routine so she could clearly see the need for my moderate amount of gear and I watched as her entire brain just shut down. I was losing her. So it complete self-defense I slunk back to the bathroom and put my toys away expecting that this would be a topic only rarely broached. I’ve seen that look before, often in Church, but also on the face of other guys that I have tried to convert to wet-shaving. It made me stop trying months ago.

So I must tell you that it was the shock of my life when my fiancée asked me to teach her how to shave. There was a faraway look of wonder in her eyes as she watched my routine and I knew she was serious. I dropped my razor, frantically barked out something like ‘don’t move!’ (my bathroom is about 8 x 10….where was she going to go?) and I pulled out my beloved gold Aristocrat, loaded it with a fresh Astra and then popped open the TOBS Grapefruit. She was smitten! I don’t know if I can accurately tell you how incredible a feeling that was. I didn’t know if it was going to be something she would stick with, but it was the fact that she wanted me to teach her. I loved her just a little bit more at that moment.

So I whipped up her first batch of lather and, beaming like an idiot, went through a basic shaving tutorial with her. (I tried to avoid the subject of ‘mapping’ by running my hand along her leg and saying ‘shave in that direction!’) Watching her first pass was one of my proudest moments.

So yeah, my baby enjoys the finer things and she became enraptured with everything about wet-shaving, including the companionship of this wonderful community of people at B&B. The sabbatical is dead, I had to immediately find a replacement for the silvertip Shavemac that now sits proudly in her shave den…*cough*… ‘shave boutique’ and have since sent away for some creams and soaps that will hopefully suit her well.

If there’s any chance you’ve read this far, thank you for welcoming her here just as I was welcomed when I started my quest for BBS. And thank the Lord that my sabbatical is over….it’s tag sale season!:001_cool:

tyrionstark

Thanks for posting. You've journeyed into an area that few B&B'rs have ever dreamed of. You managed to enable your wife ( you might as well get used to calling her that :) ). You did well, I think we all would have been a little tongue tied and uncoordinated if we heard the words your wife spoke. She sounds like she's hooked on shaving and for that reason, as far as we here at B&B goes, you're livin the dream :thumbup:. We're living through you, so don't be stingy with the posts. Now that you've caved failed the sabbatical, you should have plenty of time to keep us up to date.

Just curious, which one of you are going to start the "1...2...3...4...I declare a space war, Shave den/ Boutique edition" ? :biggrin1:

Last edited:
If there’s any chance you’ve read this far, thank you for welcoming her here just as I was welcomed when I started my quest for BBS. And thank the Lord that my sabbatical is over….it’s tag sale season!:001_cool:

You two are wonderful storytellers and it's great to have you here. Thanks for sharing. Maybe someone will figure out how to put together a tandem brush. :001_huh: Welcome to, and back to, the B&B!

tyroinstark
Just curious, which one of you are going to start the "1...2...3...4...I declare a space war, Shave den/ Boutique edition" ? :biggrin1:

Oh...that day is rapidly approaching. The LOML cleared a space for her boutique...but the stuff that used to be in that spot went into the closet....encroaching on the den. Boxes on the way.

I'm seriously considering cutting out the drywall between studs and putting in recessed shelving.

Top Bottom