What's new

A Father's Day shave with dad's tools.

In honor of Father's Day I decided to use Dad's tools. I've had his 1971 Super Adjustable for quite some time, but have never used it. It occurred to me last year that I should have used it then. Obviously I couldn't replicate his shave from my childhood and so I took a little license with it.

I used his razor and a vintage blade from the correct time---an Astra SS graciously provided by the cooperation of two members. My father would have used whatever blade was available at the local drug store. Dad used only Edge gel from a can when I was a kid but currently uses Barbasol with aloe (I know because I bought it lol), so let's throw some current usage into the mix.

He rarely used aftershave. When he did it was Old Spice. A legion of users have mentioned that either the formula has changed or it is now watered down. In it's stead I decided to use the aftershave he would have smelt on me while I was still living at home. Aqua Velva Ice Sport.

IMG_0551.JPG

I 've got the say that the Super Adjustable was quite surprising. I really appreciated it's balance and the handle's long length. This razor is the roughest looking razor I own (decades of daily use), but it gave a very smooth shave on setting 5. It's a shame I haven't been using it. I might even like it better than my slim.

My best regards to all the fathers out there.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Many guys who have something from their dads perhaps don't realize the treasure they own.
Many of us have nothing but a fading memory.
Those items you have are more precious than gold.
Use them and keep that memory fresh and strong in your mind.

Top Bottom