What's new

A&E Summer Fig

I received a tub of A&E Summer Fig last week. I mistakenly ordered it thinking I was ordering Kaizen. I checked with WCS to verify it was Kaizen based, which it is, so I’m keeping it and have completed two shaves with it.

The first thing I will say about it is the scent is nearly overpowering. It’s not a bad scent like Axe, but it’s so strong that it overpowers the olfactory receptors in short order.

Another member on here remarked that slickness wasn’t the most important thing, but it was the only thing. I used to agree, but after using Summer Fig I have to say that scent is a close second. I completed a three pass shave, washed my face and applied moisturizer and then Kouros. 30 minutes later I could still smell Summer Fig on my way to work. That would be great if the scent was one that I really liked.
The second thing I want to point out is the slickness. Kaizen base is the slickest soap/cream that I’ve ever tried. I’m a regular Mitchell’s Wool Fat user and The Fat is nowhere near the slickness of Kaizen base. After rinsing my face, I was able to do cleanup without applying more lather. I finally had to wipe my face with a wet washcloth to get it all off. The slickness is so good, I found myself chasing a BBS shave. I had sworn off doing that some months back, but with this slickness, I think I could get away with doing five passes. There was absolutely zero irritation, not even on my problem spot. I was able to get the problem area under my right jawline with three passes and two cleanup attempts.

This soap has managed to unseat TheFat as my go to soap. It’s a few dollars more than The Fat, but it’s so incredibly that it outweighs the extra cash. I highly recommend A&E Kaizen based soap, just don’t get the Summer Fig.

F9E84D2C-2DE0-48D9-B45A-91A3A5BE053C.jpeg

Yep, this is one of the reasons I quit chasing artisans with their new bases and scents. I bought Summer Fig last year, used it once and moved it the scent was so off putting. I have A&E Asian Plum and it is a terrific scent and a solid soap. Taking a flyer on these crazy scents is not something I will do any longer just to have a new improved base. I thought the old A&E base was just fine.

Yep, this is one of the reasons I quit chasing artisans with their new bases and scents. I bought Summer Fig last year, used it once and moved it the scent was so off putting. I have A&E Asian Plum and it is a terrific scent and a solid soap. Taking a flyer on these crazy scents is not something I will do any longer just to have a new improved base. I thought the old A&E base was just fine.
One man's trash...
I was the lucky recipient of the Summer Fig last year and as I recall (too many soaps) really enjoyed it. Of course my opinion may have been skewed by my somewhat limited experience with artisan soaps. The performance was definitely different from what I had been accustomed to at the time. I just had to pull it out of storage (like I said, too many soaps) and open the container to reacquaint myself with the fragrance. I still like it, but I can understand why it wouldn't suit everyone. The good news is we have so many other products from which to choose. And if you happen to purchase a soap you don't like, there will always be people like me willing to give them a home... even if we already have enough to last a lifetime :)

Well, bummer

I opened this thread because I recently got Fezziwig which is fig and cranberry and LOVE it

I just keep finding myself reaching for it

But overpowering scents give me headaches so I don't think I'll be getting this as another fig scent

If you LIKE fig but don't want overpowering I cannot recommend Fezziwig enough

Screenshot_20210413-191327.png

One man's trash...
I was the lucky recipient of the Summer Fig last year and as I recall (too many soaps) really enjoyed it. Of course my opinion may have been skewed by my somewhat limited experience with artisan soaps. The performance was definitely different from what I had been accustomed to at the time. I just had to pull it out of storage (like I said, too many soaps) and open the container to reacquaint myself with the fragrance. I still like it, but I can understand why it wouldn't suit everyone. The good news is we have so many other products from which to choose. And if you happen to purchase a soap you don't like, there will always be people like me willing to give them a home... even if we already have enough to last a lifetime :)
You are correct! It all goes back to YMMV. I have read some people really do not like the A&E Asian Plum. I really enjoy it for scent and performance, which is why I thought and read that Summer Fig would be another good A&E soap to try. For some reason, it didn't smell good to me. Through careful consideration, I am down to 10 (soon to be 9) soaps and really enjoy all but one, so if something doesn't wow me, it gets moved. I am becoming a minimalist. I haven't had the desire or courage to try Arko yet, so I might go there next. Maybe.

Reactions: bjm
One man's trash...
I will keep using Summer Fig until it’s gone. After that I will try to find the original Kaizen with Lady Godiva on the lid. I understand the scent is more conventional. Now I just have to find homes for these two new pucks of Wool Fat. Maybe a PIF might be in order.

One of the reasons I LOVE A&E soaps is the strong scent. I happen to really like The Undersea.

As for performance (to me) this is the best shaving soap EVER made.
Best shaving experience that I’ve EVER had. A Feather blade, A&E soap, Rockwell 6S and my RazoRock 400 brush. I might not shave ever again with anything else.

Never tried the fig, but many of the A&E scents are too sweet/flowery for me. Performance superb but I need to find the right scent. Maybe the Undersea?

Never tried the fig, but many of the A&E scents are too sweet/flowery for me. Performance superb but I need to find the right scent. Maybe the Undersea?
One scent that is not sweet, but very "old school", a bit smoky and green is their A&E Vetiver Magnifique. It's an homage to Guerlain Vetiver. It's probably my favorite. The Undersea is not sweet either, well at least to my nose it isn't. It's a complex scent. I get more fruity/citrusy overall, then I get "sea notes". I do like it, but find it hard to explain what it smells like. Sorry.

Last edited:
One scent that is not sweet, but very "old school", a bit smoky and green is their A&E Vetiver Magnifique. It's an homage to Guerlain Vetiver. It's probably my favorite. The Undersea is not sweet either, well at least to my nose it isn't. It's a complex scent. I get more fruity/citrusy overall, then I get "sea notes". I do like it, but find it hard to explain what it smells like. Sorry.
That’s okay,I can’t explain what any scent smells like. I don’t know what most of the notes everyone talks about smells like. So even a description of the scent to me doesn’t help.

That’s okay,I can’t explain what any scent smells like. I don’t know what most of the notes everyone talks about smells like. So even a description of the scent to me doesn’t help.
I know what you mean, I'm much the same. I've found out that unless I actually smell the flanker, I never know if I'll like it or not or if it'll be even remotely close to what I might expect, based on notes description.

So, I had a lot of trial & error... but over the years (decades) concluded that "old-fashioned" stuff suits me well. Some of the fragrances I really like have been on the market long before I was born. Take this Guerlain Vetiver I mentioned or Dior Eau Sauvage, both released in the '60s, I love that stuff. The most "modern" ones I sport are CW, Kouros, Fahrenheit, AdG and Aramis Havana, which were "revolutionary" when released, back in the '80s. I was in high school at the time. By today's standards these are "classics", one more reason to like them even better 😎

A&E/The Club soaps are generally strongly scented so the OP's reaction to Summer Fig certainly does not surprise me. As to less sweet alternatives, two that I would suggest are Tibetan Temple and Signature. That said, both are strongly scented. For an elegant but slightly less pungent alternative I suggest Chasing the Dragon.

I remember wanting to try Kaizen so bad. My mileage varied :p I gave it two tries and then PIF'd it. It was unbearable to me, which was frustrating because its performance seemed so satisfying.

I'm really interested in dipping my toes into A&E. Which soaps have the Kaizen 1 base, which ones have the Kaizen 2 base, and which ones have neither? I had a tough time figuring it out on the A&E website.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm really interested in dipping my toes into A&E. Which soaps have the Kaizen 1 base, which ones have the Kaizen 2 base, and which ones have neither? I had a tough time figuring it out on the A&E website.

Agreed. If a producer is going to offer several bases, at least make it clear to the potential buyer.

From speaking with Peter previously, my understanding is every soap on the A&E website is offered in the Kaizen base that’s why they don’t specify since they all are. The exception is the shaving butter which is vegan and shares some ingredients and characteristics of the new K2 base. At this time the new K2 base is only offered to members of the Club, which you pay a monthly fee to be part of, on the Club site. I saw an announcement recently that they would be doing a public release of several, not sure if all, of the soaps in the new K2 base. From what I have seen the ones in K2 have K2 written on the label so it is obvious and states it is in the description

From speaking with Peter previously, my understanding is every soap on the A&E website is offered in the Kaizen base that’s why they don’t specify since they all are. The exception is the shaving butter which is vegan and shares some ingredients and characteristics of the new K2 base. At this time the new K2 base is only offered to members of the Club, which you pay a monthly fee to be part of, on the Club site. I saw an announcement recently that they would be doing a public release of several, not sure if all, of the soaps in the new K2 base. From what I have seen the ones in K2 have K2 written on the label so it is obvious and states it is in the description
Thanks for sharing! I'll hold off on buying soapa until the Kaizen 2 base becomes available for the general public, and I'll look into the samples sold on Maggards in the meantime. I'm assuming the scents will be almost identical in the Kaizen 1 base so that should help me figure out which scents I like and dislike.

Top Bottom