What's new

A&E B1 Lancer

I’m wondering if anyone here has tried the A&E B1 Lancer yet? They announced it on their FB feed tonight - say it’s a mild razor with 0.60 blade gap but very efficient. It’s a $45 DE razor…

I just saw that one on their page... Debating with myself on the purchase... Ah the rabbit holes run deep at times..

Where did you find genuine reviews? So far I’ve only seen the shill videos :D

You're right!
The reviews were glowing.
It was the audible feedback which indicated a high level of blade chatter.

I can just imagine the hell that razor would unleash on my skin!

It’s probably a perfectly serviceable razor - just the impression I’ve had when watching the reviews is that the optics aren’t for me and that the shave doesn’t sound very smooth tbh. Of course I can be wrong, but it overall doesn’t tempt me.

Reactions: nav
You're right!
The reviews were glowing.
It was the audible feedback which indicated a high level of blade chatter.

I can just imagine the hell that razor would unleash on my skin!
My first thought when I saw the name of it was "how loud is it?" If you've ever been around one of those birds you know what I'm talking about.

I had couple shaves with the Lancer and my first impression was not good. The shave felt rough on the first time and I had this weird scratching sensation. Turns out there was a tiny metal shaving on the guard that was scratching my skin. I sanded this down and the shave went much better. (I got in contact with Pete and I'm getting it replaced).

Second round, the shave went well. I'd say it's mid-aggressive and mid-high efficient. By 2 pass, I got to a DFS and with a little cleanup, I was able to get to a BBS result. I do like the clamping mechanism but I wish it would bend the blade. The blade clamped tight but barely bends. I had several weepers towards the end when I went for a BBS.

My thoughts on it after couple uses. It's a creative design. Light weight but stable with the brass ring. Mid-aggressive and can be a good shaver in a 2 pass. When going for a BBS result, it cuts fairly close to the skin and resulted in couple weepers.

The B1 Lancer definitely intrigued me enough to purchase. My first DE razor was a low end top loader that was inconsistent enough, and I was not patient enough at the time to keep it... The doors always rattled and the blade shifted around quite a bit. However I had been considering buying another of this style, perhaps a Parker 87R or something similar... What caught my eye and intrigued me was the use of a spring on the A&E version, mayhaps this would help the shifting I had with my old razor. While it did prevent shifting of the blade it did make opening it to insert the blade slightly awkward, having to either manage to open it one handed using my left hand while loading the blade with the right or pressing the base of the handle down onto a flat surface to load the blade. Blade reveal was equal on both sides with the end tabs covered.
I agree with Timeclo that the blade sits almost flat. I needed to take a fairly steep angle to try to minimize the blade chatter I noticed on the first stroke of my first pass. I did manage 2 passes for a DFS with minor weepers but, the Alum block definitely let me know I had shaved. I would say that it is above average on efficiency and definitely higher up on the aggressiveness scale. I tried it with a new Dorco Prime Platinum blade, which tends to be among my favorites, so I may need to try a different blade with this one.
PXL_20230222_220326873.jpg
PXL_20230222_212724438.jpg
PXL_20230222_212732999.jpg
PXL_20230222_212813501.jpg
PXL_20230222_212909394.jpg
PXL_20230222_213042506.jpg
PXL_20230222_220355371.jpg
PXL_20230222_213206360.jpg
PXL_20230222_213236400.jpg
PXL_20230222_213258499.jpg

Top Bottom