What's new

A&E Asian Pear

First off, this was my first go with an A&E soap and it was awesome. Though at this point, I’ve had really good outcomes with all of the artisan soaps I have used, but this was no exception.

The tin note to me was a bit sweet. It certainly smelled like pear, but just wasn’t sure about it. But when lathering, the sweet notes became muted and something else came out, more complex and very pleasant. Can’t explain it, but I’m glad I used it and didn’t set it aside after just smelling it. It is REALLY nice.

And used a PAA peregrino brush for the first time and love it. A tad less backbone than my aerolite (which I also love) but enough to get a good scrub. Super luxurious. I have no need for badger brushes anymore.

Cheers.

I got several samples of Ariana and Evans soaps. I tried the asian plum and the kaizen thus far. The scents are amazing. Including the Asian pear. However, this soap doesn't lather at all. I used plenty of product. I used a fat silvertip brush for the first, and that didn't work. Then I tried a vulvix brush, and that didn't work. I'm not having any luck with getting these A&E to build a lather. The scents are amazing, but apart from that.....thumbs down.

I got several samples of Ariana and Evans soaps. I tried the asian plum and the kaizen thus far. The scents are amazing. Including the Asian pear. However, this soap doesn't lather at all. I used plenty of product. I used a fat silvertip brush for the first, and that didn't work. Then I tried a vulvix brush, and that didn't work. I'm not having any luck with getting these A&E to build a lather. The scents are amazing, but apart from that.....thumbs down.
Hmm. That wasn’t my experience at all… sorry to hear that. 10 seconds lathering the soap with my peregrino and I had enough lather for 5 passes probably (though I only do 2). I face lather initially, so that tends to thicken it up.

I know different soaps/creams work differently for different people. Asian pear lathered as well as any for me. Go figure.

Because of this thread, I decided to use Asian Pear this morning. Ordinarily, it is in my rotation of seven soaps, but I have been trying to 3017 my jar of Castle Forbes Lime (which, btw, lathers up like crazy). Anyway, the Asian Pear didn’t create big fluffy lather, but as @Drew said, there was plenty of lather for plenty of passes. It went on thick as I face-lathered. I enjoyed the shave and love the scent. I used a Semogue Mistura brush for the lathering.

I still have some unopened soaps (hence the 3017–ing of the CF soap…I am resolved not to start a new soap until the CF is gone), but will certainly replace the Asian Pear (and the CF as well) when the time comes.

I find the scents of the A&E soaps to be overbearing. Over the years, in have developed a preference for lighter scents. YMMV :001_smile

@EdmundJabber Too much water, perhaps? Every A&E I've used was a lather monster, huge billows of lather, in fact.

I like A&E shaving soaps, especially the new Kaizen base. Thanks for the Review. I've wanted to try this soap. Now I'm torn between trying this one and the Kaizen scent.

@EdmundJabber Too much water, perhaps? Every A&E I've used was a lather monster, huge billows of lather, in fact.

I like A&E shaving soaps, especially the new Kaizen base. Thanks for the Review. I've wanted to try this soap. Now I'm torn between trying this one and the Kaizen scent.
I honestly don't know what the issue is. I have several A&E samples. They are small little containers with the corresponding soap. I take a little bit of it out, into my scuttle (I'd say a dime sized piece). I use a badger brush, and my tap water. The soap won't lather.

I do this exact same method with zingari man, or stirling, or PAA (same dime sized amount), and I get tons of lather. A&E soap has fallen flat for me. I may need to get a whole container. I like the Asian plum/pear. Kaizen, and local hipster scents anyways.

I honestly don't know what the issue is. I have several A&E samples. They are small little containers with the corresponding soap. I take a little bit of it out, into my scuttle (I'd say a dime sized piece). I use a badger brush, and my tap water. The soap won't lather.

I do this exact same method with zingari man, or stirling, or PAA (same dime sized amount), and I get tons of lather. A&E soap has fallen flat for me. I may need to get a whole container. I like the Asian plum/pear. Kaizen, and local hipster scents anyways.
I don't have that problem at all. I have the Kaizen, Barbiere Sofisticato, and Peaches and Cognac. They lather very well, indeed. My water is very hard. I shake or squeeze the excess water out, run the brush around in the tub for about 10 seconds, and then move to my bowl to finish making lather. i add water bit by bit as needed. it comes out thick and nice.

Top Bottom