What's your connection to Wet Shaving: Past vs Present

• I'm here for the connection to the past

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I'm here for a better shave than I can get from a cart

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • I'm here for both: Connection to past plus a better shave

Votes: 88 57.5%

• Total voters
Id say that Im a bit of both. I do love the nostalgia of a brush and DE razor but I also do believe that a DE razor gives a better shave and can save you a bit of money if you dont get sucked into overbuying.

My primary reason for wet shaving is that it is a better shave. I admit to liking the ritual and aroma therapy of my morning wet shave, but I would not have switched to it unless the results were better. I am old enough that my first shave was with my father's DE. I got an electric shaver for my 13th birthday, then went through the 60's to 90's cycle of cartridges, and disposables. My first venture back into something other than a Gillette multi-blade cartridge and Gel was when I was shopping with my wife in a health food store and saw "Kiss my Face" shaving cream. I tried it and from there, went whole hog into the brush, good soaps and creams then full DE wet shaving. That was about 20 years ago. I still use a Harry's razor for travel but otherwise shave only DE. Not surprisingly, I relied on great advice here and Shave My Face to learn what works for me.

I am now at the point where I have bought everything I need (and then some) and require no advice about how to get a better shave. The reason I am here is that you are a nice group of gents with many interests that overlap with mine.

I don't like the survey questions. Wet shaving INCLUDES cartridges. I use a mug and brush WITH cartridges to obtain a better shave. At 76 years of age I have spent more of my life shaving with DE razors, and for me cartridges work better. Far better.
If you don't mind my asking, could you share with us what cartridge razor you are currently using? Thanks.

Most of the time a Dorco 7 with a Dorco 3 to trim around the nose and mouth. For travel I use a Micro Touch triple.

The Gillette Fusion Power 5 shave well enough but the $5.00 cost for cartridges that only last three shaves needed an alternative. Schicks work well too, particularly the Quattro and the Hydro Five Power. They last longer than Gillettes but are still more expensive than the Dorcos.

I have several cartridge systems and move around to them just for the sake of change just like frequently changing soaps. This morning I used a Bull Dog (basically a 5 blade Schick Quatro) for the first pass, a Quattro for the second pass, and a Power Hydro 5 for the third pass.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of using the Gillette Power Fusion handle with Edgewell (Personna / Schick) cartridge that fits the Fusion for the first pass. I'm not sure what I'll use for the next two.

I'm certainly both. The shave is much better than carts, but I love the connection with the past. Perhaps that's why I use all vintage (at this time!)

Neither. I lost my job due to these recent world events and decided that it was time to learn something new. My father always had used an electric razor and I had only ever seen commercials for 3/5 blade cartage razors and thought that was the best there was; so that was what I used. Two decades of ingrown hairs, rashes, and razor burn later and I came across a couple videos on youtube with a guy using DE razors. I became interested and then started to read as much as I could. One month in and I am falling down the rabbit hole...

Be careful that rabbit hole is deeeep. There are different tunnels once you get down there too. There's SAD, RAD, BAD, ASAD. I've been through most of them except BAD.

When I started shaving in '88, my dad had already switched to electric, and DE was not very common. It was disposable single edges. And then the twin blades, and then cartridges. Tried a Norelco 3 'blade' electric for a while. Went back to cartridges. After I got out, I decided to grow a mustache and goatee, and have had both for about 18 years now.
Been that way until this year.
The other razors never gave me a 'great shave', but in my 20's I didn't have the thick, wiry facial hair I have now.
Shaving was something I HAD to do when in the military, and they razors I used did well enough to pass inspection.
But one day in May, I decided I had had enough of cartridges. It was too hard to get a good line on my sideburns or the bottom of my goatee, so I decide to see if Walmart had a 'traditional' DE. They had a VDH TTO, blades, brush, soap, and shave bowl, so I picked them up.
And it didn't do great, but better than a cartridge, and I was able to really see where the blade sat when doing the sides and on my neck, and I was able to get a pretty good line on the sideburns and goatee.
Then I was telling my dad that I really liked using a DE, and he told me had his old DE (Gillette Super Speed 1976 Q4 manufacture) and his Old Spice shave mug that were gifts from Grandma in 1977 when we returned from Okinawa. I remember watching him use them up to the point he got his electric in the mid '80's. And we found them and he gave them to me. And when I get the razor back from being re-plated, I will use it. The nickel was coming off on the doors and guard.
So for me it's both. I enjoy the prep, the quality of the sahve, and the idea that this is how my father shaved for years, and how my grandaddies did it.
I need to find my maternal grandfather's autostrop, Not to use, but to just put in my now growing collection.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Neither. I lost my job due to these recent world events and decided that it was time to learn something new. My father always had used an electric razor and I had only ever seen commercials for 3/5 blade cartage razors and thought that was the best there was; so that was what I used. Two decades of ingrown hairs, rashes, and razor burn later and I came across a couple videos on youtube with a guy using DE razors. I became interested and then started to read as much as I could. One month in and I am falling down the rabbit hole...
So sorry for your troubles because of these times we have found ourselves in.

Yes, the hole is a deep one, avoid it!

So sorry for your troubles because of these times we have found ourselves in.

Yes, the hole is a deep one, avoid it!

Like the plague!! I've spend ore on wet shave in the last 2 months than I spend the last 2 years of cartridges and cans of Barbasol.
But I also didn't shave like I do now.. Maybe one day I'll find the elusive 'less expensive' thing I keep hearing about.

I went for so long without shaving late '18 IIRC', my mom asked if I joined the Taliban.. That was't a fun shave.

I started out just wanting a luxury shave and bought the Art of Shaving stuff... before the Gillette commercial happened.

Then I went from desperately seeking an alternative to cartridge razors companies that wanted to lecture me to discovering a huge world of history, artisans, and community I would never have known about otherwise.

I guess both. Thanks Gillette!

Top Bottom