What's new

A disconcerting but revealing soap experience

@SHAVEWIZARD420 I see your point, and maybe that's what we need is a few shaving soap museums. The French have finally worked out that they have a national heritage and created fragrance repositories with earnest scholarly pursuits. Ya, you don't get to sniff unless you have a piled higher and deeper, but at least what is there is being cataloged and detailed for generations to come.

The idea of having a few back-ups may lock your shaving experiences in for a while, while the world goes on making new ones. But maybe that's a good thing too; you're an expert on the old stuff!

Like you say though, it would be nice to have the new experiences too. Sometimes the argument I bounce against is: I have spent the money before, I don't have to spend it now. And someday, that may be the most important point! IF I can be certain of some way to carry all this stuff with me on to the retirement home - when I'm broke!!!

Trades with @SHAVEWIZARD420 is what shoved me further down this slippery slope I'm enjoying :001_302:

Glad to hear you enjoy the soaps! Trades are a great way to try a product you might not have ordered otherwise, broadening our horizons (scent wheelhouse) is always a good thing.

I picked up a tin of Ellegant Rose soap from the PIF table at Maggard Meet up and have been really intrigued by this soap. never heard of them before but the lather and scent is top tier which is surprising for a unknown artisan. Lather consistency similar to WK and English Rose smells similar to Chypre Rose Concerto, just a beautiful bright rose blend.

@SHAVEWIZARD420 I see your point, and maybe that's what we need is a few shaving soap museums. The French have finally worked out that they have a national heritage and created fragrance repositories with earnest scholarly pursuits. Ya, you don't get to sniff unless you have a piled higher and deeper, but at least what is there is being cataloged and detailed for generations to come.

The idea of having a few back-ups may lock your shaving experiences in for a while, while the world goes on making new ones. But maybe that's a good thing too; you're an expert on the old stuff!

Like you say though, it would be nice to have the new experiences too. Sometimes the argument I bounce against is: I have spent the money before, I don't have to spend it now. And someday, that may be the most important point! IF I can be certain of some way to carry all this stuff with me on to the retirement home - when I'm broke!!!

Hahaha soaps can certainly become heavy. I broke up with my GF a while back and had to move my entire den, it was crazy how heavy the boxes were. Recently ran a couple PIF's to get rid of some stuff, always willing to trade (sometimes 2 for 1) to try something new and whittle down the den at the same time.

I wish there was a shave soap museum as there are many discontinued artisans or hard to find scents that many people have no idea even exist. It's interesting and peaceful to smell the various scents, in the meantime since there is no museum I will have to settle for my den and Maggards.

I recently went through a process of eliminating the soaps and creams I’ll never use. They either got given away or sent to the shower.

I currently have 9 soaps and 5 creams.

But I have 1 more of each on the way, so that number subject to change!

for the last... three years I've had 6 in rotation, plus sticks of two of those and another stick for travel. I never had a huge collection.

for the last... three years I've had 6 in rotation, plus sticks of two of those and another stick for travel. I never had a huge collection.
proxy.php

:001_302::001_cool::001_302:

According to my Shave buddy app, I'm now at
Razors 70
Blade brands 25
Brushes 25
Lathers 69
Aftershaves 73
I fell off the sabbatical wagon again this year.

Danke,
It always amazes me, I look at a bunch of things and don't see it for the life of me; then someone goes "right here!" and it's /headbonk between the eyes and I'm enlightened.

Glad to hear you enjoy the soaps! Trades are a great way to try a product you might not have ordered otherwise, broadening our horizons (scent wheelhouse) is always a good thing.

I picked up a tin of Ellegant Rose soap from the PIF table at Maggard Meet up and have been really intrigued by this soap. never heard of them before but the lather and scent is top tier which is surprising for a unknown artisan. Lather consistency similar to WK and English Rose smells similar to Chypre Rose Concerto, just a beautiful bright rose blend.

I really have to thank you for this, @SHAVEWIZARD420, I love a good rose shaving soap! Now I will have to find this one and acquire it. :censored::censored::censored:

Oh, and @Polarbeard, I suspect I have somewhere north of 200 shaving soaps that I've acquired over ~4 years. I have PIF'd some, but nowhere near enough to make a dent in the hoard(I mean collection!) The soaps are stored in four separate locations in our house from the basement, to the bedroom, the bedroom closet, and the bathroom. No, I haven't counted them. Counting them would require assembling them together and that would change the status of my wife from SUSPECTING that I have wwwaaaayyy too many shaving soaps, to KNOWING that I have wwwaaaayyy too many shaving soaps. I've been a very bad boy. :blushing:

All I have left is 5 soap sticks and enough in a tub for 2 stick refills. That will still last me at least two, probably three years.

I really have to thank you for this, @SHAVEWIZARD420, I love a good rose shaving soap! Now I will have to find this one and acquire it. :censored::censored::censored:

Oh, and @Polarbeard, I suspect I have somewhere north of 200 shaving soaps that I've acquired over ~4 years. I have PIF'd some, but nowhere near enough to make a dent in the hoard(I mean collection!) The soaps are stored in four separate locations in our house from the basement, to the bedroom, the bedroom closet, and the bathroom. No, I haven't counted them. Counting them would require assembling them together and that would change the status of my wife from SUSPECTING that I have wwwaaaayyy too many shaving soaps, to KNOWING that I have wwwaaaayyy too many shaving soaps. I've been a very bad boy. :blushing:

I've started to test shave every soap/cream/croap, one at the time and seven days in a row. The ones I judge to be "very good" gets to stay. The rest have to go.
So far the results are the following:
Nanny's Silly Soap (Moroccan Sands Signature). A fantastic scent, but it has to go.
Nivea shaving cream (Men for normal skin made in Germany). Yes! Yes! YESSSS! it stays.

I have nine creams/soaps and three samples:
Proraso Green
Rockwell Cream
LEA shave stick
ARKO shave stick
Sandalwood soap
Piccadilly Shave Cream (Sandalwood) (1.5 containers)
Derby Menthol
TBS Macca Root
Al’s Shaving Company Calypso

I also have Rise and Cremo latherless cream as well as archipelago latherless cream that I use as pre-shave.

I have tried somewhere around 300 different soaps, so have tried almost everything and know what I like from my shave soap. This Ellegant Rose was a real surprise since it is pretty much unknown on the forums, but both scent and performance have blown me away (which doesn't happen that often these days).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
According to my Shave buddy app, I'm now at
Razors 70
Blade brands 25
Brushes 25
Lathers 69
Aftershaves 73
I fell off the sabbatical wagon again this year.

You do realize that with these paltry numbers you're going to have to use some of these items multiple times each year?

Top Bottom