What's new

A disconcerting but revealing soap experience

I'll go with somethting like this. Maybe 40 soaps / creams, 20 colognes. 50-ish razors. I mainly stopped buying soaps and creams about 10 years ago. I've picked up a few soaps and creams in the last few years but have given away about as many.

Well if you stopped buying soaps10 years ago, you should have some AoS Tallow to release back into the wild :001_cool:

Your not alone my friend. I was inspired by this post and just got done counting my soaps and creams and I was shocked that I have 67! An that’s not counting the more than 20 samples I have in a big jar and the 2 new soaps I just ordered from MDC and SV last week.
So I immediately pulled 8 of them out of the collection that I’ll sell and that’s without opening them up to smell them. I’m going to open the ones I’m not sure about over the next few days and see how many more I can clear out.
So thanks for getting me to do what I should have done a while ago!

Note to self:
Start watching B-S-T religiously, lol :)

Apparently I have no problems like you as I only have 40 tubs of soap........Dave walks away feeling somewhat normal and happy that he isn't like the crazy guy with 70 soaps......

I feel much better reading this thread for some reason. I peaked at around 50 soaps and creams and I still have a bag of samples....but I have been on a major clean out lately and PIFd a bunch, a few hit the showers and I have the feeling another PIF to family members and the local men's shelter is in the works. My goal is to get my creams down to 2 and my soaps down to maybe 3. Only keeping the best. Or so he said. (insert evil laugh here)

I'm down to a 10mm nub of Lea stick stuck onto Tabac stick base for ease of handling, an almost empty tube of Musgo Real and an almost full tube of La Toja cream. Until i run out of blades or 3P shave balm (neither of which can be found locally) and have to place an order with Italian Barber (2019...) i'll replenish soap/cream as i need it with Porarso, Macca Root or others i can pick up in neighbourhood stores.

Ideally, the goal is to place that order, minimally breaking the free shipping threshold but not ordering until i'm almost out of everything i buy from Italian Barber. See if i can make this work.
dave

I'm not going to count because....well....I'm afraid I have more. But it would be pretty close. I will not purchase another item until I am down to less than 5 products.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've concluded there are a number of perfectly good to actually great soaps in my 3018 stash, but that doesn't mean I've not purchased two more this week. In all fairness one is needed to replace the WK I'm going to soon use up. One is a new soap suggested to me as being great.

proxy.php

I'm afraid it's already 3019.

I have a basket thing, a little under a cubic foot, I think, for keeping all my soaps and creams. If I want to buy more I have to finish some of what I've got.
Right now I'm near the bottom of a Wilkinson blue bowl, a TBS Maca Root tub, and a ring remaining in a really old (discontinued) tub of C&E Sienna.
I know I can resist the temptation of buying more because, like Galahad,
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten
Because my heart is pure.​
Razor and brush acquisitions don't count, of course, because they're stored elsewhere.

I have a basket thing, a little under a cubic foot, I think, for keeping all my soaps and creams. If I want to buy more I have to finish some of what I've got.
Right now I'm near the bottom of a Wilkinson blue bowl, a TBS Maca Root tub, and a ring remaining in a really old (discontinued) tub of C&E Sienna.
I know I can resist the temptation of buying more because, like Galahad,
My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten
Because my heart is pure.​
Razor and brush acquisitions don't count, of course, because they're stored elsewhere.

Men at some time are masters of their fates. The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings.
William Shakespeare. (From Julius Caesar):001_smile

I hear you brother.

But I did keep mine mostly hidden, so out of sight out of mind. I just get 10 or so, and rotate those for a month, then “shop” again from my stash.

Not buying anymore though except for very rare circumstances that my curiosity is piqued by something new and unusual. Not into scents, don’t care much about that now as long as it doesn’t make me nauseous, but the composition or the formula of the soap gets me interested.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
With uncountable soaps, creams and samples, I still feel anguish that I missed out on Declaration Grooming's "Darkfall."

It never ends, and it shouldn't. :001_tongu Follow your bliss. It's just soap.

AA

With uncountable soaps, creams and samples, I still feel anguish that I missed out on Declaration Grooming's "Darkfall."

It never ends, and it shouldn't. :001_tongu Follow your bliss. It's just soap.

AA

I feel like I've missed Declaration Grooming "( . )" >Literally 'period'. If it wasn't for a gift of Trismegistus from a very generous B&B'er, I'd never have known. Now, I have much to use up - or, more to add to the stacks in the "film cans library" I have in my walk in.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I feel like I've missed Declaration Grooming "( . )" >Literally 'period'. If it wasn't for a gift of Trismegistus from a very generous B&B'er, I'd never have known. Now, I have much to use up - or, more to add to the stacks in the "film cans library" I have in my walk in.

DG rules. I've got Trismegistus, TSM Fougere and the super lavender - love them all.

AA

I have enough soaps to open a wet shavers museum hahaha. Variety is the best part of this hobby IMO and scented soaps are the reason I got started in the first place.

Love to try new soaps, trade and share my favorites with others. Many of my all time favorites have been soaps I got in a trade or PIF, think it is because they turn out to be something you may not blind buy online but turn out to be something special.

Sometimes limited availability or discontinued soaps can be a issue if you really like something and can't get more. I Coloniali is a prefect example people stocked up when it was discontinued (and don't blame them) while it is a excellent soap, having multiple backups is just silly IMO since there are so many other great products one would miss out on.

Top Bottom