What's new

A different suit for different occasions

ok, now that we've got suit coordination out of the way, I was wondering if any of you could shed more light on the do's and don'ts of what color suit to wear on different occasions? I know this should be a no brainer but I feel like certain occasions warrant a certain wardrobe.

for example, weddings are pretty flexible and you could wear any number of suit styles, be it light colored or dark. funerals or job interviews, on the other hand, require a little more finesse. I wouldn't show up at a wake wearing a light tan suit or even pinstripes. conversely, I might not wear a light colored suit to a job interview, but black, navy or charcoal are pretty versatile.

do any of you stick to a 'golden rule' when dressing up? or are you fairly conservative in the way you dress for formal occasions?

I have a lot of suits, with virtually every permutation of features you can imagine within reason, that I wear regularly. Having said that, I wear a dark navy suit for just about every "somber" occasion, anything dark & conservative for important business affairs, and weddings just depend on the season/theme.

If you can only have one suit, get the dark navy. That will get you through most occasions without getting you unwanted attention. After that, go with a charcoal pinstripe and then, perhaps, a brown windowpane or plaid.

For most folks, that will be a perfectly sufficient suit arsenal. Flesh that out with slacks, shoes, shirts, ties, and a sport coat or two and you're in the realm of the adult male.

Navy or charcoal for winter/job interviews, black for weddings and funerals, brown for fall, olive or tan for spring/summer.

Top Bottom