What's new

A diamond in the rough? Maybe not.

This one came in today. I got it on the bay for $19.99. I'm pretty sure the scales are bone. They have some grain to them and the tiniest of a bug bite at one end - barely noticeable. The pins are nice and tight. The blade face has a very nice etch with what looks like an original mirror polish. The back of the blade is more satin, showing the original grind marks. It came in looking awful, but some wiping with The Barkeepers Friend did wonders. All rust spots are gone but there is staining and some pitting. I don't mind that too much, as it adds character to an old razor. However, I do have some questions.

1. I would like to improve the appearance of the blade and scales but I do not want to get too abrasive. I don't want to spoil that nice etch. I was considering .1µ diamond paste, but not sure. Any tips would be appreciated.
2. What is the best way to improve/care for the scales?
3. The bevel has pitting at the toe. I think there is enough metal to work with. But would a razor like this be worth sending out for honing, say to Griffith or Bob's Razors? I am not very experienced at honing.
4. Would anyone have an idea as to when this razor was manufactured?

This forum has always been very helpful and thanks for that!

Wostenholm.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The scales are horn.

The etching is pretty deep. You could de-scratch the show side pretty good, with .5u diamond paste and a small piece of tshirt fabric.

Right now I have the blade dripping with Balistol and the horn dripping with Neatsfoot. It's in a ziplok bag waiting for me to decide on the next move. I've read that neatsfoot oil will help to reinvigorate the scales and bring back some luster. I may polish the scales, but won't sand them, as they have a raised grain.

If the etch is frosted then just about anything will remove it, be careful-if it is deep then you are ok.

The scales are horn, soak to rehydrate, light sanding and a buff and they will be near new.

Honing it looks pretty straight forward.

If the etch is frosted then just about anything will remove it, be careful-if it is deep then you are ok.

The scales are horn, soak to rehydrate, light sanding and a buff and they will be near new.

Honing it looks pretty straight forward.
I suspect the etch is deep. I cleaned the blade with Barkeepers Friend and a rag, removing quite a bit of rust and stains. But the etch remained solid. So likely it is not frosted as it stood up to all that cleaning. So far, so good.

Top Bottom