What's new

A Deep Dive Through Vintage Gillettes

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks! How would you describe the way your Ranger Techs shave compared to a 40's Superspeed (if you've used one of those before)?
I sure have. I would say that the Ranger Tech is smoother, yet more more aggressive, if that makes any sense. It really is a fantastic razor. I’m not sure why they changed it after the war except that there seems to be a general trend of Gilette making razors milder over time. The Red Tip is the only Superspeed close to the Ranger in efficiency. I would give the Red Tip the edge for comfort.

The Ranger Tech has a fascinating history, which is another reason I like it so much. It was designed to be the counterpart to the Tech, “Tech” being Gillette’s designation for the safety bar or closed comb. There was also a Milord Tech and Regent Tech. I think that had to do with marketing the safety bar as new “tech” or “technology”, but really it was mostly cheaper to manufacture than an open comb. Gillette has always been tricky that way. But anyway, just like the pre-war Tech was essentially a closed-comb NEW, the Ranger Tech was a closed-comb Senator. The Senator was the nickel-plated open comb TTO that Gillette made in the 30’s. The Ranger Tech was produced in 1941 and went on sale for the Holiday Season just in time for - you guessed it - the attack on Pearl Harbor. Gillette ceased production immediately and exclusively manufactured plastic-handled Techs for the military for the duration of the war. Nevertheless, the Ranger Tech has a strong association with World War 2 since undoubtedly many of the young men who received one for Christmas in 1941 shipped out shortly thereafter to fight the Nazis or the Japanese Empire. In 1946, Gillette made a short production run of Ranger Techs and then redesigned it in 1947, changing the name to Superspeed.

Welcome to B & B!

I've only known 3 modern razors, the Merkur 23C I started with, my Merkur Progress, and the Fatip Open Comb Slant. The rest of my little stable, except for a Hoffritz Slant, are vintage Gillettes.

Personally I enjoy the connection to a time when you could stroll down to the corner drugstore, pick up all the shaving gear you needed (a Tech for less than a dollar on sale, blades, soap, etc.), to do a quick 1-2 pass shave as an accepted and necessary part of your day. You could also pick up the latest Saturday Evening Post and read the latest serial while you smoked the pipe tobacco you also bought on that drugstore run. In other words, the world that Norman Rockwell painted for us: the civilized society that really existed only a few decades ago.

Gillettes were a solid part of that world, and one we can still touch and -- unlike classic cars, for example -- own for very little money.

The handle on your LC looks like it's aluminum (I think that's what later model Tech handles were made of, someone can correct me) made out of one piece rather than the brass handles earlier razors where made of. The original ball handles were made of three pieces, the brass tube with the ball inserted in one end and the threaded top in the other. Most of the original brass handles have developed stress cracks that start where the end pieces are inserted. Many cracks are minor and most I think can be repaired. But I think it's because of the cracks that many of the old handles have been replaced with Tech and other handles. If you look closely at pictures from sites like this: mr-razor Gillette Rasierer - http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette%20Rasierer.htm , or even auction sites I think you can see the difference. Look especially at the ball-end, which looks to me to be bigger on the original handles, and also the knurling on the handle has gaps on each end on the brass handles where patent info is stamped.

That makes a lot of sense. This is helpful to now, thanks!

I sure have. I would say that the Ranger Tech is smoother, yet more more aggressive, if that makes any sense. It really is a fantastic razor. I’m not sure why they changed it after the war except that there seems to be a general trend of Gilette making razors milder over time. The Red Tip is the only Superspeed close to the Ranger in efficiency. I would give the Red Tip the edge for comfort.

The Ranger Tech has a fascinating history, which is another reason I like it so much. It was designed to be the counterpart to the Tech, “Tech” being Gillette’s designation for the safety bar or closed comb. There was also a Milord Tech and Regent Tech. I think that had to do with marketing the safety bar as new “tech” or “technology”, but really it was mostly cheaper to manufacture than an open comb. Gillette has always been tricky that way. But anyway, just like the pre-war Tech was essentially a closed-comb NEW, the Ranger Tech was a closed-comb Senator. The Senator was the nickel-plated open comb TTO that Gillette made in the 30’s. The Ranger Tech was produced in 1941 and went on sale for the Holiday Season just in time for - you guessed it - the attack on Pearl Harbor. Gillette ceased production immediately and exclusively manufactured plastic-handled Techs for the military for the duration of the war. Nevertheless, the Ranger Tech has a strong association with World War 2 since undoubtedly many of the young men who received one for Christmas in 1941 shipped out shortly thereafter to fight the Nazis or the Japanese Empire. In 1946, Gillette made a short production run of Ranger Techs and then redesigned it in 1947, changing the name to Superspeed.

I don't think I realized that Gillette made open and closed comb counterparts for each of their razors back then, or that WWII effectively rained on the Ranger's production parade making them so (relatively) scarce. Tankerjohn, this is precisely the sort of education I was looking for when I decided to post this thread. Thanks!

Definitely needs an old type and a fat boy in there. Also a raised flat bottom, flat bottom tech, and a rocket.

Haha well, I guess I'm going to have to start putting together a list for an eventual round two. I do have a Rocket on the way though, really looking forward to that.

Personally I enjoy the connection to a time when you could stroll down to the corner drugstore, pick up all the shaving gear you needed (a Tech for less than a dollar on sale, blades, soap, etc.), to do a quick 1-2 pass shave as an accepted and necessary part of your day. You could also pick up the latest Saturday Evening Post and read the latest serial while you smoked the pipe tobacco you also bought on that drugstore run. In other words, the world that Norman Rockwell painted for us: the civilized society that really existed only a few decades ago.

Gillettes were a solid part of that world, and one we can still touch and -- unlike classic cars, for example -- own for very little money.

Agreed, there is definitely something "classic" about these old Gillettes. Part of the allure is that they serve as these great tangible relics from a past era of American manufacturing -- beautiful, functional, and very well made. Norman Rockwell's America pre-dates me by several decades though, so I don't really have direct experience to draw from.

Good Job.....that's the way it starts, you pick up a razor here and there. Your collection will constantly grow. Some razors are not as easy to find any longer, and cost have gone up, but when you come across a good one you feel good about it. Enjoy.....

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. Great first post! :)

Please post over on the Vintage April thread, too. :)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't think I realized that Gillette made open and closed comb counterparts for each of their razors back then, or that WWII effectively rained on the Ranger's production parade making them so (relatively) scarce. Tankerjohn, this is precisely the sort of education I was looking for when I decided to post this thread. Thanks!
You’re welcome. My pleasure. The CC models replaced the OCs between 1939-1941. There may have been some small overlap in the production, but for the most past they weren’t sold concurrently, as I understand it.

Are the top caps for the New Type long comb and short comb razors the same?

They seem to fit both, but are the identical? And are they symmetrical?

Thanks!

Well I moved on to try the NEW SC this morning for the first time.

Initial impressions... yep, I definitely get why people like it so much. Felt very intuitive. Smooth, comfortable.

20210417_163014.jpg

Looking forward to shaving with this for the next few weeks to get better acquainted with it.

Top Bottom