What's new

A DE newb's journal, trials, tribulations, pain, and ecstasy

This is where I am going to note my success and failure at re-learning how to shave.

It will go in this order
Some history about me
My DE Newb experience
My recommendations to other NEWB
My qustions for others (Newb or Vets)

Some history on me if you want it other skip it:
for 18 years I have been using a mix of electric razors (most of the time) and Gillette Fusion Pro Glide Vibrator in the shower.

My first razor was an inexpensive dual rotary blade at the age of 14 and I needed it. Then I received the original (1999-2000) Phillips Nivea Wet Electric Razor with the GOO and it was truly amazing. After that the self cleaning Braun and then eventually replaced that with a newer version which I still have today.

I have no issue with electrics...

My issue is with the price of Gillette Fusion Pro Glide cartidges! At ~$5 a pop and truly better than what you get from places like the dollar shave club (smoother, last longer, cuts closer) there seemed to be no way out of it.

Then I thought about going old school and getting a straight razor. It was then that I stumbled upon this "underground" world of old school safety razor users. I say underground because Gillette and Schick must be pulling some strings to keep places like, wal-mart, k-mart, walgreens, and CVS from carrying ANY DE supplies. They want you to believe that no one at all uses this stuff.

Truth is I notice there has been a major revival!

Anyways on to my experience with DE:

So far I went and bought the following:
Razor: Edwin Jagor Faux Ebony Double Edge Safety Razor
Blades: Astra, Blue Bird, Derby Extra, Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock, Gillette Silver Blue, and Shark Super Chrome
Soap: Arko Shaving Soap In Bowl
Brush: Van Der Hagen Boar Brush from Target Shave Set
Soap Dish: Van Der Hagen Large Soap Dish w/ Handle from Target Shave Set
Stand: Cheap Plexi-Glass Stand from Target Shave Set
Razor Burn Protection: Gentleman Jon Alum Block After Shave
Razor Burn Protection: Nivea for Men - Extreme Comfort Post Shave Balm

My experience and recommendations...

First and foremost DONT BUY THE RAZOR I BOUGHT!!! IN FACT I'M SENDING IT BACK!!!

I have had the chance to use 2 other razors and BOTH are better... but how can they be better? well ADJUSTABLILITY or SLANT!

Either buy an adjustable razor like the Merkur Futur or buy a Slant Bar Razor like the Merkur 37c w/ slant bar (people will say no don't do that if your a newb but wait and listen) it will allow you to shave your face in 1 or 2 or 1.5 passes with a non aggressive blade. Whatever you do DONT use a feather in it. Use shark blades or at the sharpest use blue bird blades. Both are very smooth blades... but the blue bird can be hard the first shave with it.

That brings me onto blades...

I bought a kit with a bunch of blades but truth be told it was a kit with some good blades and a bunch of worthless ones you don't need to try...

Shark is probably the dullest smoothest blade. It's absolutely perfect... You might only get 2-3 6 pass shaves out of it but with the 2 pass shave you should get 4-5 shaves out of it... with how cheap they are though... throw them away every 2 or 3 shaves...

Want something sharper grab a blue bird... but I wouldn't use it on the slant.

You buy the slant and use that it will be a faithful replacement to your old cartridge based razor.

--------------

As for my question for the pros...

whats the smoothest cheap shaving soap or cream you have used?

Last edited:
I'm not a pro but I'll kick off the thread by saying the "slickest" croap I've used is Cella with Proraso coming in a close second. I'm assuming how well the product allows the blade to glide is what you meant by "smoothest".

Proraso also has the added benefit of giving your skin a cool feel as you shave, which works as a good wake-up in the morning.

Top Bottom