What's new

A day spent sharpening

Thursday I unexpectedly had the day free from any obligations, being in the last week and a half of school it's a very unexpected, yet appreciated surprise. Ive noticed that with my new stones and experience I have been getting better results shaving than i have in the past, so I thought that i might go over all of my razors and assure that they're ready to pop hairs.

I spent the day honing and was able to get 26 of my straights "shave ready". Its in quotes, because we never know how it goes until we shave right? Well they all easily pop hairs between 4-6mm, and are ready to try shaving the next time my face allows. My thoughts were to get all 26 razors up to the same point and vary them as necessary/appropriate once I learn what is best with my skills/my stones.

I did learn a few things in my session that will allow future sessions to be quicker.
1) if i've gotten the razor shave ready before and question the current edge, I found that it's easily regained going from coticule and back to finishing stone.
2) The JNS that I own gets the blade to popping hairs, but it's on the low end of that spectrum. My JNS benefits from a slight application of Dark Blue Thuri Slurry and brings it up to either aggressively pop hairs away, or a few razors silently popped hairs.
3) I had one razor that had a couple chips, both less than 1/16" and cut down the razor on my shapton 1.2k. This is the second time i did chip removal on this stone, the first time on a red imp wedge. If I want to do chip removal in the future, i'll want a coarser stone.
4) I must determine if Thuri is supposed to be a good nagura, and what a better stone might be.

This last February my wife and i got a lot of razors from a social marketplace, one of them was a 7/8" Wade and Butcher. This is now the largest blade that i own, and it's the old heavy tang model. This was one of the razors that I worked with, and just got an unprecedented shave. 1/26 of these razors finished on my Ozuku/Thuri Slurry combo have provided one of the best shaves of my life.

This is the razor as it was when i purchased it, haven't done much besides sharpen it. The tip had an ever so slight bend and wouldn't sit flat on my stones, so i bent it gently a few times, and it was able to sit flat after. It might not have been ideal, but it worked...this time.

Nice looking ancient razor, sir. Just wanted to say that I did the same by using the Coticule and then my finishing stone.

I've always had a difficult time setting bevels on a cuticle, until about a week ago. it just seemed to work well, despite the massive looking scratch pattern it would still pass HHT once stropped. Since learning that, I was curious if i could skip a good chunk of my progression and save a good chunk of time. It worked!

Thanks, I almost didn't take it as part of the lot because the toe is more narrow than the heel. and the slight bend. That being said i'm glad i got it, it shaves wonderfully! and it's magnificently old!

Early last week I spent the entire day sharpening a good chunk of my razors, and each of them passed HHT, tree topping, and thumb pad test as equally as I could discern. Over the next few weeks my plan is to use the razors and document the experience to see what variability there is.

Friday, I shaved with my Puma and it sang to me as it shaved me, plinking off all the extra hair until I found myself with a nearly BBS shave. There always seems to be a slight bit of stubble along the area of neck under my chin. This shave was effortless and enjoyable, with no bleeding or irritation.

Yesterday was the first time in a few days I was able to scrounge up the time to shave. I gave my “gong” razor a try. It’s a round tip that I discovered was produced by Carl Friedrich ERN and has a width of 6/8". The first pass was not anything particularly special but provided zero irritation. The second pass (against the grain) is where the confusion set in. It was able to smoothly cut hair without skipping, but when I was done it felt like it didn’t even touch the hair except maybe sharpening the tips.

Had not paid enough attention to blade angle? I tried again to go against the grain, carefully mapping the hairs and the razor left it untouched. It was such a non-aggressive shave that I was able to do two passes with it, and then once with a blade I know provides BBS. 2/3 of the attempted razors have provided a great shave, and I will have to spend more time on the stones with this Gong to see if I can find out why it’s holding out.

Top Bottom