What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Have a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 with a Trijicon Dual RMR. Like the setup enough that I purchased another RMR for the Ruger American Rimfire 22LR. Gives me two rifles with virtually identical setup. Anyhow the Rimfire has been sitting for quite some time waiting on a sight in range trip. Today was the day.

Cool morning, 29 degrees at 8 am, slight breeze. Rifle and ammo were sitting in the cold for about an hour while I listened to the birds with a hot beverage from the thermos. Had the place to myself this morning, just the way I like it.

Took maybe 20 rounds to sight in at 25 yards. Working my way down the target. First two were high, one over the top. Last 4 in the bullseye.

C10B4D8D-2F99-412C-86A3-DE5D596ADA73.jpeg

Placed a target at 50 yards. The flyers are on me, jerked the trigger a few times. Three decent hits.
908BC83C-2E3B-4E22-AB2C-33115F2614DF.jpeg

Bought a popper to try out. Set at the berm base 100 yards out. Pulled out a stool and shot freehand maybe 15 shots at 100 yards. Few misses but definite hits. Seems shots are mostly 6 inch drop at 100 yards with CCI Minimag 40 gr rounds.

D2F3CE86-0500-4702-A604-62413C1B1CA1.jpeg
B4D0F5C4-910A-4F44-A96D-A2E53883CF55.jpeg

Will try raising half the triangle holdover next time. Fun morning with the rifle. Followed up with pistol on the steel range.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Changed out the firing pin spring (lighter) and extractor spring (heavier) on the Ruger LCP2 Lit3 Rack 22lr. Then tried some more bulk ammo from Remington, Federal and Aguila and had no light strikes or failure to extract. Will try again tomorrow morning and run more bulk pack ammo.

Exercised the 340PD for the first time. This is one baaaad wheel gun. After 75 rounds of .357 Magnum - my face was bleeding (something must have blasted back and hit my face) and my palm was tingling. I will admit - my accuracy on this wheel-gun is going to need improvement, and after 50 rounds of .357, I put gloves on. It’s going to be quite a beast to tame - but I’m determined. I don’t know why, as it’s given me no reason to - but I absolutely adore this gun. The lasting tingle in my palm and wrist hours later - are an ever present reminder of its power and mystique.

271B525D-B667-4809-980B-6C0C440D870E.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Exercised the 340PD for the first time. This is one baaaad wheel gun. After 75 rounds of .357 Magnum - my face was bleeding (something must have blasted back and hit my face) and my palm was tingling. I will admit - my accuracy on this wheel-gun is going to need improvement, and after 50 rounds of .357, I put gloves on. It’s going to be quite a beast to tame - but I’m determined. I don’t know why, as it’s given me no reason to - but I absolutely adore this gun. The lasting tingle in my palm and wrist hours later - are an ever present reminder of its power and mystique.

View attachment 1621190

Lol’d! Sounds like you had a great time shooting it. Congrats on your 340. You’re a tough hombre for sure, 75 full power loads of .357 with 50 thru it bare handed. I gloved up after 5 rounds! :)

Lol’d! Sounds like you had a great time shooting it. Congrats on your 340. You’re a tough hombre for sure, 75 full power loads of .357 with 50 thru it bare handed. I gloved up after 5 rounds! :)

Perhaps less tough and more stubborn. I absolutely do not want to let that little revolver get the best of me… but it sure is a worthy opponent. Here I thought 500 Mag recoil was stout…

Perhaps less tough and more stubborn. I absolutely do not want to let that little revolver get the best of me… but it sure is a worthy opponent. Here I thought 500 Mag recoil was stout…

I did that for years. Heavy magnum loads. Caused lasting damage to my right hand. Something to be aware of that will affect what you can shoot later in life. :pipe:

Took my new Glock 47 to an indoor range on Saturday just to make sure it functions with the light I’m going to pair with it. Filthy, but all jams/malfunctions on that day were with the range provided staple gun thankfully. There’s a blast mark on the top of the light bezel but the glass cleaned up so it’s good to go.

View attachment 1616885
A couple tips on the light, put chapstick on the lens before going to the range it keep it protected from the carbon and wipes right off. If you don’t a pencil eraser should remove the carbon.

Pic from the range today.
D10F5957-FBD1-487E-BE18-6DDA1AE016EF.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I worked as a Range Safety Officer today and saw for the first time a broken AR 15 bolt. The bolt broke in two where the bolt cam pin inserts through the bolt. The AR in question was an Anderson Manufacturing complete firearm, apparently not a build, as I asked the owner what brand of bolt that he had in the gun and he just pointed to the Anderson logo on the receiver.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I have seen that a few times over the years. Two of them happened on Rock River Bolts.

Usually when a can pin hole breaks from a stress fracture, it’s because they accidentally over hardened the steel in the steel hardening process. Upper tier AR companies who do magnetic particle inspections on every single bolt and every single barrel that passes down their assembly line, will catch these small stress fractures that can’t be seen with the naked eye.

But a few of the AR makers RRA being one of those, only do MPI/HPT of small samples from large batches at a time instead of every bolt and barrel like Colt and some others. While we should all always examine our rifles bolts and pins during cleanings, one may see and find a small crack in a Cam Pin in order to prevent a break when shooting, but the many small fissures in a cam pin hole of the bolt, are many times internal and can’t/ won’t be seen with the naked eye. So it’s usually not found until it actually breaks during shooting.

Any company can get parts with over hardened steel, but inspecting each part in the assembly process will prevent them from getting out to market. However, there are just as many AR manufacturers that are only inspecting samples of large batches as there are companies that inspect each one; and we still don’t hear a lot about it like it’s happening in frequency.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I did suggest that the owner of the Anderson gun get a higher quality bolt that was MPI and HPT tested, such as Aero Precision. I suggested that there was a fault in the bolt unobservable to the naked eye and that it probably was not related to the ammo used.

OkieStubble

I did suggest that the owner of the Anderson gun get a higher quality bolt that was MPI and HPT tested, such as Aero Precision. I suggested that there was a fault in the bolt unobservable to the naked eye and that it probably was not related to the ammo used.
Ahhh… Anderson. It happens.

Top Bottom