What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Ad Astra

The Instigator
In honor of Rob's 1911 journey, I was going to shoot my poor example today but the thing needed grease and I didn't have time... Yeah, it wasn't that the ammo is about $4/shot these days, no. 🤔

So. Shot the Colt Police Positive Special, the High Standard derringer and an H&R 22 model.

20210129_095000.jpg

That box of 38s dates to 1973!😏 Had to wipe the lead oxide off those old 158-grainers.
20210129_095517.jpg

They went bang.

The derringer; with those full-house CCI rounds - made for a rifle - you're just shaking hands with a fireball! And then, with a pistol with an absolutely unique grip. It is possible to extend a finger into the BBQ of that muzzle blast. 🙆 Who says shooting isn't a sport?

AA

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Shot my RMR2 equipped Glock 19 for the first time in the weekly RSO match, that red dot is going to take some getting used to, had trouble finding the dot after transitioning from one target to another, subsequently my score suffered as it is a timed event. On the upside, I ended up winning our quarterly match with the target featured in post #1093, .22LR from the bench at 50 yds.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shot my RMR2 equipped Glock 19 for the first time in the weekly RSO match, that red dot is going to take some getting used to, had trouble finding the dot after transitioning from one target to another, subsequently my score suffered as it is a timed event. On the upside, I ended up winning our quarterly match with the target featured in post #1093, .22LR from the bench at 50 yds.
That was some pretty good shooting on that post! Lol, I'd a been happy with the ones you scratched!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took the Scorpion out and got the Romeo dialed in. I definitely like a bigger dot as it seems to calm the wobble a bit. Got her zeroed at 20 yards and then did an accuracy test. Paced off 10 yards and let 15 fly. I think it’s a keeper!!!
A89C9945-EFA5-4047-B5B9-6799CC5B94BD.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would think it's the dot size. The RMRs are available in a couple of different dot sizes. I just put an RMR2 on my G19 and it has a 3.5 MOA dot. I think that may be the sweet spot for many people. YMMV.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would think it's the dot size. The RMRs are available in a couple of different dot sizes. I just put an RMR2 on my G19 and it has a 3.5 MOA dot. I think that may be the sweet spot for many people. YMMV.

yeah, I’ve seen many the Officer with a 3mm dot. But unless a smaller dot is needed for competition or something I can see where a bigger dot for defensive purposes.

nikonNUT

yeah, I’ve seen many the Officer with a 3mm dot. But unless a smaller dot is needed for competition or something I can see where a bigger dot for defensive purposes.
I think what I like about the 6MOA dot is I can pick it up quicker at lower brightness. The 3MOA works fine and I can make it "bigger" by cranking the brightness but then it starts flaring pretty badly. For a defensive pistol I'm perfectly fine with the 6MOA. On a carbine I could see the advantages of a 3MOA. For all I know it's the high bore axis of the Sig working for me from an acquisition stand point. All I know is it works well! :)

nikonNUT

Went out and experiment with the Go Gun Gas Pedals today. Set-up a little experiment to see how it works. Full disclosure, grip must be modified to reap the benefits and that will take me some time. Anyways! Loaded 16 rounds, set-up at 10 yards, and shot 10 rounds into a 2” dot to in the head scoring zone of a IDPA target to verify the ammo (trying the Sterling for the first time) followed by 3 double taps to the body. First up was the stock take down lever...
NOPEDAL1.jpeg

NOPEDAL2.jpeg

Then the gas pedal...
PEDAL1.jpeg

PEDAL2.jpeg

I’m am definitely anticipating the shot but it seems like I’m not pushing the gun “as” bad. I don't know 🤷‍♂️ Lastly, I loaded a full mag (18 rounds) and shot double taps. If felt (and looked) like the dot never moved! I am gonna keep working with it for sure!
DOUBLETAP.jpeg

Might have to go out in the snow tomorrow and try again!

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Made the bed room my range today! Been working on the neural pathways to embrace the opposing grip that works with the gas pedal and finding the red dot. Put a 5/8" black dot on the wall (about 3 yards away) and practiced as follows... Draw stoke, drive the gun out, get the red dot on the black dot, break the "shot", reset the trigger without releasing, let it return forward until it clicks, and go again. I'm about 800 cycles in and it's getting easier! Love how cheap it is too! Oh, and my groups are measuring 0.00"! :lol:

nikonNUT

Dang! The stare that @OkieStubble calls home has some tough conditions! Woke up this morning and the fog in Ninnekah was so thick I couldn’t see across the street! Grabbed some breakfast and headed to Fouled Bore Precision. Started over on the pistol range and played a bit with the .22 and the 9s. Felt relaxed and ready so I hit the long range. Wind gusting to 20+ from the 10:00 to 11:00 and foggy enough that any magnification over 10x and the targets (white) washed out and disappeared in the mist. Seriously, I had to shake my Kestrel (which was useless) out when I was done! Managed to find steel at 700, 750, and 850 yards but mainly stuck with 700 as I zeroed in on that target and I proceeded to wear it out! I will be back and hopefully be able to see the steel I seek at 1350! It was a great learning experience! Magnification isn’t everything and when it is wet and there is no splash to see your impacts (read misses) you gotta default to other skills to get on target. Pictures...
41EDDF0A-E20D-4E1A-A862-314670D3EEC1.jpeg
3F28B7C7-9A67-44C1-9B3C-890C6C3589D6.jpeg

P.S.the big diamond on the right is at 900 yards. Whaddya mean you can’t see it? Yeah, me neither... 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Worked the morning shift at the range as an RSO. It was pretty foggy at first, but clear by mid morning. I don't know if it was the ammo shortage and prices or what but I've never seen it so slow, only a handful of shooters most of the morning but picked up a bit. There was a local gun show going on and the crowds tend to pick up with new shooters with new toys straight from the gun show. Usually on a nice day, there are people standing in line waiting for spots to open up on the shooting line. Not today.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Shot the RSO match today, rifles on the pistol range. Ranges 20 to 25 yds. Partially hidden targets, shooting through narrow openings between barricades. Great fun. After the match I did some off hand shooting at 100 yards with my AR that I built. This Quarters RSO match is 5 rounds offhand at 100 yds. on the SR1 target. My best effort so far is 40 out 50 possible points. Needs a lot of practice, I don't shoot off hand at distance very often.

Top Bottom