What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

PPK, Federal American Eagle, 12 yards. 3 hits, 3 misses.
B42C3FAB-C585-4CBB-A9D5-07C78E692A1D.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
PPK, Federal American Eagle, 12 yards. 3 hits, 3 misses.
View attachment 1561270
You don't count the flier, and that one hole is touching the target, so you wounded it, and the one is a mulligan, so that counts too, so...by my hillbilly gun range standards, that right there is a Master Marksman Score. I know Rob, @OkieStubble would concur.... And the Canadians amongst us also agree because they are just NICE like that!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You don't count the flier, and that one hole is touching the target, so you wounded it, and the one is a mulligan, so that counts too, so...by my hillbilly gun range standards, that right there is a Master Marksman Score. I know Rob, @OkieStubble would concur.... And the Canadians amongst us also agree because they are just NICE like that!

Considering that is a very small target sticker, stuck to a piece of cardboard at 12 yards, you’re damn right I concur. Great shooting @ctr!

My eyes are aging so fast, that round sticker would be just a blur at 12 yards.

Last edited:
Considering that is a very small target sticker, stuck to a piece of cardboard at 12 yards, you’re damn right I concur. Great shooting @ctr!

My eyes are aging so fast, that round sticker would be just a blur at 12 yards.

Thank you! The sticker IS a blur. The front sight IS a blur. Probably why I seldom hit bullseye at that distance.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took Vdoo #2 aka Dr. John (No, not the singer. The guy the singer took his name from.) to the range to shoot a 5x6. It "looked" like the rain was letting up so why not? Well, I was dead wrong and had 2 inches of standing water by the time I was done. Everything is soggy and that is all I will say about that! :lol: The ZCO is the top of the mountain and lives up to all the hype I read while deciding to take one home. I don't really get into the specs other than to think "well that looks pretty good" but this scope punches thru murk, and fog, and rain like it isn't there! On to the target. Shot a 10 round group to the head score zone (see the one I shanked?) to settle the barrel in and proceeded. Finished with 1 shot to the, uhm, navel?, and used it as the POA for the last 9 shots. I got sloppy on a few groups but for a not even really seasoned yet barrel Dr. John shows promise!
Drjohn112622-1.jpg

And to cherry pick, here is the best of the bunch! BTW, wet cardboard does not offer crisp punched holes. :lol:
Drjohn112622-2.jpg

And the craptastic condidtions I was shooting in. Ugh! Did I mention everything is soggy. :(
Drjohn112622-3.jpg

nikonNUT

That’s some fine shooting Chris! :)
Thank you, Rob! I've been practicing with some ideas that were suggested at my PRS class. The gist was a 2 finger gap between the recoil pad and my shoulder and no cheek weld to reduce shooter induced movements. Dominate hand runs the trigger and the bolt while the weak hand steers the gun via the stock or the objective bell of the scope. I swear my reticle used to look like an EKG the way it bounced up and down and it was a struggles to keep everything still. Now my rifles are dead calm. Feels weird but I'll get used to it!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Thank you, Rob! I've been practicing with some ideas that were suggested at my PRS class. The gist was a 2 finger gap between the recoil pad and my shoulder and no cheek weld to reduce shooter induced movements. Dominate hand runs the trigger and the bolt while the weak hand steers the gun via the stock or the objective bell of the scope. I swear my reticle used to look like an EKG the way it bounced up and down and it was a struggles to keep everything still. Now my rifles are dead calm. Feels weird but I'll get used to it!

That all sounds contrary to what I learned of keeping the stock snug against the shoulder with a proper cheek weld. Talk about thinking ‘outside of the box.’ :)

I can’t imagine keeping a 2 inch gap between my shoulder and stock with the likes of a 30.06 or .308? :)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I can’t imagine keeping a 2 inch gap between my shoulder and stock with the likes of a 30.06 or .308? :)
That’s how my uncle taught me to properly seat a shotgun on my shoulder. He has be stand with my shoulder braced against a tree then hold the shotgun about an inch from my shoulder and fire. It was only a .410 but it still hurt enough that I’ve always remembered the lesson.

I can see how removing most of the contact with a rifle would improve scores when shooting a .22.

OkieStubble

That’s how my uncle taught me to properly seat a shotgun on my shoulder. He has be stand with my shoulder braced against a tree then hold the shotgun about an inch from my shoulder and fire. It was only a .410 but it still hurt enough that I’ve always remembered the lesson.

I can see how removing most of the contact with a rifle would improve scores when shooting a .22.

I think I read somewhere before also, that it’s better to let the forearm of a .22 rest on an open palm, instead of actually gripping it with the support hand and fingers.

nikonNUT

That all sounds contrary to what I learned of keeping the stock snug against the shoulder with a proper cheek weld. Talk about thinking ‘outside of the box.’ :)

Oddly enough, the fella that was giving the class shoots his .308 the same way. Now lets be perfectly clear... We are talking 18 pound .22s and his .308 tips the scales at 25 pounds but these are PRS comp guns. 6 or 7 pound ultra-lite hunting rifle? I'm bearing down on that sucker for all I'm worth!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My rifles that I shoot for accuracy are not heavy enough for the free recoil method and I make contact enough for a good scope picture and a consistent check weld, the butt is in my shoulder, but not pulled in tight. I'm shooting with a bipod and a rear squeeze bag. I have a light hold on the pistol grip, just enough for a consistent trigger pull. The Ergo fat grip (Deluxe Tactical) helps on ARs and my bolt gun stock I built up the pistol grip area for a more vertical geometry with a "wudhammer swell". The guns are steady enough that I can see the reticle bounce slightly with my heartbeat when using high magnification.

Top Bottom