What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Seems like fun but I'm too old for all that crawlin' around. You are a better man sir.
It's not as bad as it looks my friend. You forget all the acrobatics when you hear "IMPACT!". THE absoulte worst this that has happened to me was planting a knee on an upright spent .22 case! Little, uhm, bugger literally took a core sample out of me! At that point I didn't want to play anymore...

Today was rainy and windy. It was a good day to go old school with an old Marlin 39A and bang steel swingers and gongs from an enclosed range house.
20221111_164005.jpg

My club just started a 50 yard .22 rimfire sporter benchrest league for the winter. Sporters are challenging due to their lighter weight and usually much heavier triggers compared to our custom guns. You actually have to hold them to shoot them compared to the free recoil shooting most of us do with the unlimited guns.

We shoot a 10 shot target that has a maximum of 100-10x score. Most the scores fall in between 80 and 90. X count is usually pretty low.

This was the best target shot last night. For reference probably 45 targets were shot. Amazingly, it was shot with budget ammo.

20221114_224559.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My club just started a 50 yard .22 rimfire sporter benchrest league for the winter. Sporters are challenging due to their lighter weight and usually much heavier triggers compared to our custom guns. You actually have to hold them to shoot them compared to the free recoil shooting most of us do with the unlimited guns.

We shoot a 10 shot target that has a maximum of 100-10x score. Most the scores fall in between 80 and 90. X count is usually pretty low.

This was the best target shot last night. For reference probably 45 targets were shot. Amazingly, it was shot with budget ammo.

View attachment 1557239

Wow, what budget ammo was it?

Wow, what budget ammo was it?
It was the Wolf Match in the pic. Here's the catch, though. It is the old Wolf Match that was made in Germany by Lapua. The Wolf Match made since 2018 is made in England by Eley. It's not the same ammo. I can't say if the new ammo is any good. To be honest, the ammo used on that target may just be a good lot. I have about 5 bricks of the old Wolf left. Only part of a brick is the lot that target was shot with. The remaining old ammo of different lot numbers may not shoot as well.

Even though that lot number shot some really good targets or groups, it also did exactly what I expect cheaper ammo to do and that was throw a flyer every now and then. It seems like every box has a round or two that will go wild and cause a loss of a couple of points.

Took my smallest carry gun to the range at lunchtime. Bodyguard 380. Federal ball ammo.

20 yards...
027F20C1-574C-42D5-B019-00E71999934B.jpeg

15 yards...
AB7CA29D-D996-42CD-B416-80A76AE26371.jpeg

7 yards...
2223419B-84BD-4B9F-9D99-3DA0C03EBF39.jpeg

5 yards...
6413C6C8-C2E2-4EF2-B819-30589EC13C76.jpeg

A few flyers. Small pistol, easy to see front sight. DAO. This pistol has always pulled right. Excellent ejection. Takes some care not to depress the magazine release when shooting.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Took my smallest carry gun to the range at lunchtime. Bodyguard 380. Federal ball ammo.

20 yards...
View attachment 1558293

15 yards...
View attachment 1558294

7 yards...
View attachment 1558295

5 yards...
View attachment 1558296

A few flyers. Small pistol, easy to see front sight. DAO. This pistol has always pulled right. Excellent ejection. Takes some care not to depress the magazine release when shooting.
That's a pretty small target. Good shootin' making a .380 do that. :)

Reactions: ctr

Eben Stone

Staff member
Well I think this is the best the Vudoo has every done. Hit the range tonight to true muzzel velocity and reset my zero @ 50 yards and was blessed with 1MPH winds. Did the deed at 50 (.2 mRad low) and move back to 197. I was shooting about .12 mRad high so tweeked the speed in the Kestrel from 1102 FPS to 1120 FPS. Not sure this is the correct way (Maybe use DSF and tweek the BC of the bullet?) but it's so close I think it will be ok. Ran out of light before I could verify (yay. another trip) but got these 4 to clump up pretty nicely to check the initail dial!
View attachment 1538309
What app are you using to measure the group?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 HS Derringer made it to the range again, and since I was gifted with some novelty targets, patterned the CCI 22 WMR shotshells.
Top half, 2 at 20'. Bottom, 2 at 12'. Big difference.

IMG_20221118_115239416.jpg

At 10' or less, two quick shots wouldn't miss (unlike the solids) and might have considerable effect (on a rat or a sparrow!) 😏 Like those older Bond Arms ads...

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
RSO match today, we shot bowling pins, double elimination. Shot my Glock 21 .45 ACP 230 gr. RN. We shot two matches back-to-back. First one I managed 3rd place, the second one I got eliminated early. On the rifle range I shot a few targets with my AR 10 in 6.5CM, unable to get the elusive 0.5 MOA 5 shot group. Best I could do was 0.85 MOA. I need to beat 0.75 (so far) to win our ongoing quarterly match.

Top Bottom