What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I enjoying hearing others talk about their shooting experience. Whether it is plinking at cans, to competition shoots let's post it here.

Remember pics or it didn't happen.

Last time I was at the range was a few years back. It is much more regulated here in the UK so I don't go anymore as it is more hassle than it is worth.
I had an accidental/negligent discharge, while the rifle was aimed downrange, which was entirely my fault due to a lack of understanding of how a lever action rifle works. I didn't realise you had to depress the lever fully to be able to pull the trigger. Long story short a .357 Magnum round ricochet off of the floor and embedded itself in the ceiling.

Last edited:
Last time I was at the range was a few years back. It is much more regulated here in the UK so I don't go anymore as it is more hassle than it is worth.
I had an accidental discharge, while the rifle was aimed downrange, which was entirely my fault due to a lack of understanding of how a lever action rifle works. I didn't realise you had to depress the lever fully to be able to pull the trigger. Long story short a .357 Magnum round ricochet off of the floor and embedded itself in the ceiling.

Yikes! Glad no one got hurt.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
Here is a little fun from yesterday. The all white target is from 2 weeks ago, 1st 15 shots with my new Glock 43.

Last edited:
I did my first ever upload to youtube just for you guys. I found one of the videos the wife took from an older match that I hosted. Nothing fancy, just a short little scenario.
The pause was because I did have one round that didn't fully go into battery, and yes I know, I didn't step back behind cover to fix it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just got this one finished. Sometime this week I will take it out and make some noise with it. Pietta 1858 Remington, .44 cap & ball. I have one spare cylinder and two more in the mail, so this is gonna be fun.

I gotta say, though, that the sights will take some getting used to. Modern sights are a hyoooge improvement over 19th century cowboy sights.
1488843167437-1997432001.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 773597 View attachment 773598 View attachment 773594 View attachment 773595 View attachment 773596 Here is a little fun from yesterday. The all white target is from 2 weeks ago, 1st 15 shots with my new Glock 43.

Nice shooting Scott! I really like those dirty bird targets. :) Thanks for the 15' yd comparisons. Really impressed with what you did with the 43 at that distance. The difference with the 26 definitely bores out and confirms the same findings i had with the thickness in grip from my G19.

I actually see a bigger difference in my comparisons but I give that to the extra length of barrel, slide and sight radius of the 19 over the 43. Fantastic shooting, all the way around.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I did my first ever upload to youtube just for you guys.

Just for us? :)

I found one of the videos the wife took from an older match that I hosted.

Takes the wife with him and gets her involved?

The pause was because I did have one round that didn't fully go into battery, and yes I know, I didn't step back behind cover to fix it.

Humbly recognizes and fixes his own small mistakes?

What's not to love... ;)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Nice shooting Scott! I really like those dirty bird targets. :) Thanks for the 15' yd comparisons. Really impressed with what you did with the 43 at that distance. The difference with the 26 definitely bores out and confirms the same findings i had with the thickness in grip from my G19.

I actually see a bigger difference in my comparisons but I give that to the extra length of barrel, slide and sight radius of the 19 over the 43. Fantastic shooting, all the way around.

Thanks Rob-I do push a bit with my right hand and I think some of that is being cross eyed dominant. But hey I am not shooting competition. :smile:

Finally got the time to head out last weekend. Shot 9 & .45
Brought out both a Glock 17 & 19, both gen4.
Also brought out a brand spanking new Springfield Loaded Operator.
I load my own, but my .45 reloads were not stout enough to cycle the slide.
Factory fresh Federal 230 grain and she was off to the races.
Can't wait to get back out!

proxy.php

Finally got the time to head out last weekend. Shot 9 & .45
Brought out both a Glock 17 & 19, both gen4.
Also brought out a brand spanking new Springfield Loaded Operator.
I load my own, but my .45 reloads were not stout enough to cycle the slide.
Factory fresh Federal 230 grain and she was off to the races.
Can't wait to get back out!

proxy.php
Nice! Wish my day looked like that.... New batch of high winds and snow again all week....

IMG_0994.JPG

Most Tuesday mornings will find me at the local indoor range. This week it was two new guns I hadn't shot - the 22s - and a thumper. The Charger performed as expected, once I dialed in the sight it shot a 1" hole in the target at 25 yds. The North American is a squirmy little beast when it goes bang, but I did keep them all on a 8" target at 15 feet. Can't see really carrying it, though some do, it is just a novelty gun for me. The Ruger Super Blackhawk (10.5 inch) is just a hoot. The Tactical Timmy types who have never shot a real revolver line up to give it a go, few will empty all 6 before handing it back. I think I will take the 480 next week to really give them a handful.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think the Super Blackhawk is very easy on the hand, for a .44 mag. That plow handle grip just rolls up so nicely in the hand instead of slamming straight back. My 4'10" ex loved wrapping her little mitts around it and chasing tin cans all over the place!

Sorry no pic's, but I did enjoy several hours this week at my range in NYC chronographing loads I worked up for my Glock 35, .40. For USPSA major, 165gr FMJ. First batch (W231, mixed used brass) had a very wide range but 5.3 & 5.4gr was generally above 1k. Still learning but not new to reloading, went back and measured the brass. Various case lengths and resulting crimp no doubt an issue I haven't experienced with .9mm, .38, and .45. Went home and trimmed brass to .840 and adjusted crimp narrowed the range to +-35fps. More work to do but I have something to start with. Looking work this gun up for USPSA Limited 10.

Tom

Top Bottom