What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Took my brand new Ruger SP101 .327 Federal magnum to the range today. Shot it some after the weekly Range officers match. Shot 12 rounds each of .32 S&W long, .32 H&R magnum and .327 Federal Magnum. The below targets had been used in the match. (I shot a S&W 686 in the match, came in 5th.) These targets were shot at 10 yd.s.
A71C4932-99BD-4892-832D-A46665C145A8.jpeg

The above target was mounted sideways as pictured. 12 round of .32 S&W long fired at the center of the X ring, no surprise that they shot low. It was like shooting a .22 LR almost.

F0AFDDF7-2B46-43BF-9959-27433C098B80.jpeg

12 rounds of .32 H&R magnum, shot slightly higher, but a larger group.

4F4C01D2-1951-4704-BC9F-1AA6F512D8EE.jpeg

12 rounds of .327 Federal magnum. Very peppy! POA was the top of the 7 ring, grouping slightly higher?

The SP 101 has a horribly heavy trigger pull in DA. Off the scale on my Lyman trigger pull gauge, which means greater than 15 lbs. I suspect all three groups suffered from this and probably grouping low in general as a result. Luckily I have a Wolfe spring kit which should tame down the trigger pull.
After shooting just 12 each of the .32 S&W Longs and the .32 H&R mags, extraction was VERY difficult with the .327 Fed. mags. I had to push the extractor rod against a post, couldn't do it by hand. The rod is rather small in diameter, as compare to one found on a S&W and very uncomfortable to "palm strike".

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Took my brand new Ruger SP101 .327 Federal magnum to the range today. Shot it some after the weekly Range officers match. Shot 12 rounds each of .32 S&W long, .32 H&R magnum and .327 Federal Magnum. The below targets had been used in the match. (I shot a S&W 686 in the match, came in 5th.) These targets were shot at 10 yd.s.
View attachment 1036805

The above target was mounted sideways as pictured. 12 round of .32 S&W long fired at the center of the X ring, no surprise that they shot low. It was like shooting a .22 LR almost.

View attachment 1036806

View attachment 1036807

12 rounds of .327 Federal magnum. Very peppy! POA was the top of the 7 ring, grouping slightly higher?

The SP 101 has a horribly heavy trigger pull in DA. Off the scale on my Lyman trigger pull gauge, which means greater than 15 lbs. I suspect all three groups suffered from this and probably grouping low in general as a result. Luckily I have a Wolfe spring kit which should tame down the trigger pull.
After shooting just 12 each of the .32 S&W Longs and the .32 H&R mags, extraction was VERY difficult with the .327 Fed. mags. I had to push the extractor rod against a post, couldn't do it by hand. The rod is rather small in diameter, as compare to one found on a S&W and very uncomfortable to "palm strike".
Good shooting! The curse of the Ruger, those triggers! I have a love/hate relationship with all of mine. But ..... the LCR has a trigger that is sublime.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
No pics, but I got some range time in with my VP9SK today. It had been a few weeks since my last range visit, so it was nice and therapeutic to finally get to squeeze off some rounds again.

View attachment 1036805

View attachment 1036806

View attachment 1036807

Nice!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Finally got the 1942 JP Sauer 38h well and through rehab. Not quite 100% yet but I think a new magazine spring will help there. It's shooting as reliably now as the 1941 one and the cocker/decocker is working as it should. I have three magazines, all original S&S wartime with the zinc fancy base plates. One of the magazines is electrostenciled to the serial number of the 1941 model which was common in East German police pistols. The 1942 one was Wehrmacht acceptance stamped but only in service for about a year before being captured by a US GI.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The cocking lever spring had to be replaced three times, the first were from Numrich and very likely very old or used but then I bought some newly made ones from Jack First and that solved everything. I have some generic Wolff magazine springs on order and will see if they help.

Ran off to the range last night to try out the HK after a minor sight adjustment.
10 yds.

proxy.php

Much happier with a more consistent center, now, if I could just get rid of the odd stray.
Anticipation I think.

M&P 2.0
I had some trouble with this thing first time out. It kept stacking or stove piping and I couldn't shoot more than 2-3 rounds at a time. Had less than 2 mags through it, however, my very first round was a perfect bullseye at 10 yds so I had hopes.
Got it home field striped it and the sear release lever fell out and the spring was sideways.
I had it into the gun shop, he removed it and the spring and said I don't need it but if I wanted it put in he would have to order the pin for it because it was gone.
Remove it!
So this was the first chance to put a few hundred rounds through it.
It seems to very accurate and should only get better as I improve.

I actually had the target hung upside down so my grouping is slightly low but where I aim.

proxy.php

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Been tweeking the rifle for a few. Getting the LOP right and making sure I'm actually getting behind the rifle. Today was re-zero day and I think I'm close...

And then over to the pistol bay to play with the STI. What a fun pistol to shoot! I am clearly anticipating the the shot (gotta work on that) but 24 rounds at 10 yards off hand. I'd call it one minute of center mass!

Top Bottom