What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yeah, I got a PM9 too. And still paying down PayPal for my S510 Ultimate Sporter man toy. I still want the SIG 365 or at least to hold one. Went by the LGS I last frequented, they're out of bidness! Luckily there are other LGS's. Just not in the (credit) cards, for now!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah, I got a PM9 too. And still paying down PayPal for my S510 Ultimate Sporter man toy. I still want the SIG 365 or at least to hold one. Went by the LGS I last frequented, they're out of bidness! Luckily there are other LGS's. Just not in the (credit) cards, for now!

I bet your new Sig P365 would look real sexy, sitting next to your B&B LE #3...

They're both black! :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today was check the Beretta Pico after sight adjustment (all okay now) and shoot the 100+ year old Hopkins & Allen some more. I really enjoy that little thing and it is amazingly accurate at close range. At 10 feet it's all in one little hole. That's actually further than the design range of the 32S&W so not too bad.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I haven't been able to get to the range in the past week and a half. It felt good to shoot today. 300 more rounds through my P365. ...And, those 300 rounds were shot in 12-13 round sets this time. :biggrin1: I mainly worked on multiple target transitions, double taps, and one handed shooting.

20181211_180513.jpg

Edit: It's funny because I thought I would be so used to the paddle style mag release that my VP9 and VP9sk have that I'd mess up with the push button mag release. It didn't happen once this trip.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I haven't been able to get to the range in the past week and a half. It felt good to shoot today. 300 more rounds through my P365. ...And, those 300 rounds were shot in 12-13 round sets this time. :biggrin1: I mainly worked on multiple target transitions, double taps, and one handed shooting.

View attachment 934458

Edit: It's funny because I thought I would be so used to the paddle style mag release that my VP9 and VP9sk have that I'd mess up with the push button mag release. It didn't happen once this trip.
We are multi-purpose adaptable tools.

OkieStubble

View attachment 934458

What did you pay for your 12 rounders? I bought one 12 rounder from Bass Pro for $50 and two other 12 rounders from Academy Sports for $39.99. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
What did you pay for your 12 rounders? I bought one 12 rounder from Bass Pro for $50 and two other 12 rounders from Academy Sports for $39.99. :)

I paid just over $45 apiece. They were priced at $55 at my local place, but I get a discount with any purchases other than guns and ammo. I'm probably going to pick another up. I'll have to see how much shipping would be through Academy Sports.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
18DA86B6-36FF-4B23-8371-CE317A9AC8EE.jpeg
904B9D89-7560-41FD-860B-624773213C74.jpeg

So I finally got to a real shooting range and blew the cobwebs out of my Kahr PM9. Also shot my Glock 19 and a Ruger Super Single Six in .22 Mag. Shooting sure is a perishable skill! I need to get back to a regular shooting routine. The above target was shot at 7 yds, unsupported slow fire, 6+1 and a 3 rnd. reload for a total of 10 rounds. Would have all been in the "X" if I had been shooting regularly.
@OkieStubble, there was a question in a previous thread about case markings on the cases shot from a PM9. As you can see, there is the smeared primer indentations and the bright marks on the base at about the 7 or 8 o'clock position caused by the ejector. As far as I can tell it's all normal.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

View attachment 935140 View attachment 935141

So I finally got to a real shooting range and blew the cobwebs out of my Kahr PM9. Also shot my Glock 19 and a Ruger Super Single Six in .22 Mag. Shooting sure is a perishable skill! I need to get back to a regular shooting routine. The above target was shot at 7 yds, unsupported slow fire, 6+1 and a 3 rnd. reload for a total of 10 rounds. Would have all been in the "X" if I had been shooting regularly.
@OkieStubble, there was a question in a previous thread about case markings on the cases shot from a PM9. As you can see, there is the smeared primer indentations and the bright marks on the base at about the 7 or 8 o'clock position caused by the ejector. As far as I can tell it's all normal.

Looks normal to me. You have a strong striker spring; those primer indents look pretty deep. Not that that's a bad thing. :) Wonder why I can't remember if I've ever handled a Kahr before?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Perhaps you haven't. Very distinctive long but smooth trigger pull, easy to miss the reset if you are not used to it. In that respect, the Glock trigger on a 19 is easier to run. But with practice (which I have obviously neglected) it certainly becomes easier, like anything else.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I didn't expect to have the day off of work today, but my boss told us just to enjoy the new year! So, I was able to make it to a Monday morning range session where we're able to do some tactical drills that we otherwise wouldn't be able to do during normal range hours. No pics, but I had some fun (at least when I wasn't missing :001_rolle).

OkieStubble

I didn't expect to have the day off of work today, but my boss told us just to enjoy the new year! So, I was able to make it to a Monday morning range session where we're able to do some tactical drills that we otherwise wouldn't be able to do during normal range hours. No pics, but I had some fun (at least when I wasn't missing :001_rolle).

Not enough detail man! What kind of drills? Did you run them with your P365? How did it do? What did you think?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Not enough detail man! What kind of drills? Did you run them with your P365? How did it do? What did you think?

lol I was much more thorough with my HKs, wasn't I? They were pretty basic drills compared to some of the stuff that I've done with the Monday morning session in the past, but still useful. Usually, only 3-5 of us show up, but since quite a few folks had the day off, we had 8 people in the 6 lane range today. We didn't go in front of the firing line like we've done before, but we practiced some speed drawing from the holster (not something that we're allowed to do during normal range time), but most of the stuff was distance oriented. Started off with the Mozambique Drill at ten yards, but everything had to go within a small rectangle on the chest and head. Then we moved the targets to 7 yards and did 4 to the chest and 4 to the head as fast as possible while still getting everything inside the rectangles. Then we moved the targets back to 15 yards and did the same thing. Then we moved the targets to about 2 yards and point shot 4 to the chest. After that, the targets (fresh) went out to 10 yards, and we tried to place 4 shots as quick as possible into a 3" circle. Then the same small circle at 15 yards. The last few drills were practicing incapacitating the perpetrator with shots to the head and hips at various distances. A sheet of paper taped to the chest of the silhouette target mimicked an infant, or a bulletproof vest.

I did do them with my P365. Everything within about 7 yards was fine for me. I hadn't even tried 15 yards with my Sig yet, so that was a rude awakening. I still did decent, but I almost pulled out my SK when we started getting into those longer shots. I'm sure I did better than what I'm making it sound like. My SK would have been able to handle what my Sig (and by my Sig, I mean me shooting my Sig) couldn't though. Granted, I have 6000 rounds through my HKs. So, I'm thinking that some more trigger time will get my groupings quite a bit tighter than they are now. With all that being said, I still out shot a few of the guys there with far more experience and larger guns.

OkieStubble

All training is good training. I can tell you, much of your experiences on that range with your P365, matches up exactly with my own so far. Now, other then a couple of police qualifying courses, I haven't really done any speed shooting yet like you have, only static, slow aiming, no timed shots. I have done some double tapping, multiple targets; and some zippering, things like that, but nothing on the draw and with speed.

But like you, I have noticed with the P365, my groups will start to open up at contact distances, when speeding up shots, and my groups, really start to open between 10 and 15 yards. Even though I know it's the gun and not me, I still get frustrated, when I can't keep a magazine full, the size of a fist at 20 like I can with a G19.

You have to constantly remind yourself, it's not you, it's the gun. :) But for it's size, The P365 is incredibly accurate.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
From normal defensive shooting distances, very accurate. Last week I was shooting 12 round groups into circles the size of an Escudo tin (I've been making my own targets lately) in about 8-9 second with ease at 5-7 yards. I wasn't trying to go fast or slow, but that's just what my cadence ended up being most of the time. I should probably practice more of the slow aim stuff for the time being. Perfect practice makes perfect.

OkieStubble

From normal defensive shooting distances, very accurate. Last week I was shooting 12 round groups into circles the size of an Escudo tin (I've been making my own targets lately) in about 8-9 second with ease at 5-7 yards. I wasn't trying to go fast or slow, but that's just what my cadence ended up being most of the time. I should probably practice more of the slow aim stuff for the time being. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Absolutely. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. :)

Top Bottom