What's new

A Dane Rises From the Dead, and it's not Hamlet.

Rescued from the auction pile yesterday. No "before" pics, unfortunately. Some judicious reaming, rim cleaning, buffing, and stem de-oxidizing were required. But after a little bit of work, a cool piece.

Larsen combination blast/smooth shape #119 handmade with original stem. The top is octagonally paneled, while the rest of the bowl is rounded sandblast.

proxy.php

Markings - top: "Larsen, Copenhagen, Super" - bottom: "Made in Denmark, Handmade".

proxy.php

The only real issue was that a previous owner was one of those guys who went a bit heavy-handed on his pipe knife. The bowl rim edge is a little gouged. One other very minor thing is that the stem doesn't quite seat flush with the shank, though it's drilled dead-on and passes a cleaner beautifully.

proxy.php

All in all, though, it's a nice find. Classic Danish from the early days of the W.O.Larsen branded pieces - they hadn't started stamping the full name yet. The first mention I can find of this shape is in a 1963 catalog. Light for the size, with a tall, narrow, slightly tapered bowl.

Now to set to work on an old Charatan from the same lot. No pics yet.

Last edited:
Very very nice. I love the pick axe shapes (skaters as well) and that sure is a beaut.

How did you go about removing the oxidation from the stem?

Excited to see the other pipe, too ;)

On vulcanite, I've found that a bit of MAAS metal polish and some elbow grease takes care of all but the most persistent. I take off the final haze with a felt wheel on a low-speed Dremel tool.

Top Bottom