What's new

A curious development

Howdy gents! Despite my number of posts, I haven't been here long. I've noticed a rather strange phenomenon since I started wet-shaving two years ago: my beard is growing faster!:blink: Not that it's necessarily a bad thing; I love my shaving ritual, and this just lets me do it more often. However, when I was using cartridges in high school, I could get away with shaving every two-three days. The first year of wet shaving, every two days. This last year, every other day. Now, I'm noticing that I can barely go 24 hours without shaving. I'm of Greek/Roma descent, so it isn't horribly surprising; I had a full beard in junior high after all (the nickname "Chewy" has dogged me ever since). Is this somehow related to my shaving? I have been getting much closer, more comfortable shaves, but they don't last long. 24 hours growth on me looks about the same as 2-3 days on other guys; I never look completely clean-shaven, even if I still have aftershave dripping off my face (my fiancé refers to it as my "30-second shadow"). Could it be that I've just become more cognitive of my beard's growth after having experienced a truly great shave? I'm not complaining (well, not entirely; I'm going through blades like crazy), but I am very perplexed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
I've been shaving every day since I joined the Army at age 18. I'm now 35. Wish I could help but my beard's always been fast growing.
how old are you, by the way?

Two thoughts come to mind.

1. Beards do not grow faster in response to shaving no matter what kind of razor is used. This is an "old wives tale." All the hair growing occurs below the skin. If your beard is growing faster it is due to some other reason (hormones, more maturity, medications).
2. As you speculated, maybe you are just more aware of your beard since you have gotten into traditional wet shaving.

Last edited:
You mention starting wetshaving 2 years ago but only cartridge shaving in highschool. If this is the case I guess you're around 20? If so, depending on genetics, it is very possible that your body hair (including facial) is still maturing

I'm 23, but I pretty much stopped growing at 14, and I look like I'm in my early thirties. BlackBard may be right about the hormonal changes, but I find it hard to believe that such a grow spurt should take place now- rather than in my teens- and in such a short span of time associated with my switch to wet shaving. Then again, I know you aren't fully done growing until you're 25 or so, but still... other than some muscle gain from weight training and a few scars, I look essentially the same as when I graduated high school. Maybe I'm just a late bloomer... who bloomed early the first time. Perhaps the progression is thus: boy- adolescent- teenager- man- Sasquatch. :lol:

Last edited:
The main cause of facial hair growth in men is testosterone. Multiple things can affect your levels such as your diet, body fat content, even sporting events. Also as you age, so do your testosterone levels. Your body still grows and develops until you are about 25 even if you don't get taller.

I'm 100% Greek. I ALWAYS have a shadow. Electric, Gillette carts, now DE and I've never been able to get fully clean shave. It's just the way we are! I've got a 5 o'clock shadow by 10am :)

Also, the carts pull the hair up and out of the skin and shave below the skin line actually, which is why you can go longer between shaves. It's also why ingrowns are the norm with cartridge shaving.

Look at it this way, you get to shave more!! :)

And two years ago I didn't have to trim my eyebrows, ears, nose hair, or have as much grey hair. It may be linked to your type of shaving or that the makers of shave products use additives to their product to increase growth! :thumbup:

Enjoy the shaves. After all wet shaving will save you money!

I just started DE shaving and my wife said something that pertains to this. She told me my stubble looks better now that I am shaving with my DE.

Maybe your beard isn't growing in faster, but rather you are getting a more consistent shave, so everything is coming out at the same uniform length? Is that a reasonable explanation?

Stubble feels a lot sharper (& perhaps more noticeable to the touch) after DE shaving as opposed to blunt after using carts. Maybe that is also a factor in it appearing to grow back faster?

Top Bottom