What's new

A couple razors for a hefty price vs. many for a lower price?

I am sure this has been debated many times before, and if there is a detailed thread(s) somewhere, please post it here for me.

I am new to wet shaving/DE razors, but I have surprised myself at how well I have done. I have a 1970 black SS Gillette TTO (my wife's grandfather's) and what most assume is a Weishi, labeled as the "Micro One Touch". I can get a very good shave with either of them, using Noxema in the shower, followed by pre-shave oil, then a good soap, Thayers witch hazel, then good old Pinaud's AS. I am not experiencing any cuts, bumps, or neck burn that doesn't go away completely within an hour or two. My only complaint is that I must make at least 4 passes in the usual different directions, followed by chin and neck touchups. I am thinking that I might do better with a more aggressive razor(s), but I know that in retrospect, I might well end up preferring the milder razors. I have a EJ DE89L on the way.

So, on to my question(s).

I see that many guys go through multiple razors, but most end up with only a very few that are actually their "go-to" razors. I can see myself easily going down the same path. If I spend $300-$500 on 7-10 decent vintage and/or new razors, and then decide to buy one or two "expensive" ($75-$180) DE razors, and end up preferring them, I have "already spent several hundred dollars. On the other hand, If I pick up several decent razors in the $35-$60 range, I get to try more safety razor styles for less money spent per razor, just deciding if I like the style (open comb, safety bar, slant, adjustable etc, etc.).

I live in a small city, and the closest larger cities that might have some "Gentlemen Shops" with several razors to at least hold and look over are 4-5 hours away. So, the only feasible option is to buy online and wonder what I am getting until it is "used".

Are the >$75 dollar DE razors (like Webers and up) so noticeably better that people who buy them never look back, or do a large percentage of them end up with a $25-$65 razor(s) that they like better? It seems risky to tryout razors at $150 a pop, and then sell them a month later for 30% less, if the aren't "all that". I already know that I like a razor that feels a little "heavy in my hand", over something real light.

Should I just assume that most guys (who don't switch to DE razors and wet shaving solely to save money) end up as hobbyists and keep spending money on razors looking for the "Holy Grail", or simply because they like trying out different stuff? Compared to sports cars and/or vintage musical instruments, razors seem pretty cheap!

I have little doubt that I am going to want to try every type of DE razor style commonly used by others, just to see if they work better for me. But I do know that my next razor purchase is going to be an open comb. I want to see if I can get a DFS with just three passes. I know that many can do that with a mild razor, and I may someday, as well. However, at 51 years old, with a fairly heavy beard, black (and gray) stiff whiskers, multiple growth patterns on my neck and chin, and fair skin (easy whisker shadow), I suspect that I am going to end up in the more aggressive camp.

All advice/opinions appreciated!!

I love this site!

I really don't think the price equals quality or satisfaction. But I'm a value guy. I think there are some very good new razors out there for $30-$50... Edwin Jagger, FaTip, Merkur come to mind. I can't see spending $100 for a razor anymore than I can see spending $100,000 for a car.

I'm in the vintage razor group myself, only one modern/new razor and that is a $30 FaTip Grande. I have about a dozen vintage Gillettes (NEWs, Tech, Super Speeds, Fat Boy & Slim). I didn't go crazy collecting them and getting stupid on the bay. All mine cost between $5 and $25. But that was a couple years ago. I say watch the BST here on B&B, you can usually find good razors at fair prices within the community.

+1 for this. Couldn't have said it any better.

I really don't think the price equals quality or satisfaction. But I'm a value guy. I think there are some very good new razors out there for $30-$50... Edwin Jagger, FaTip, Merkur come to mind. I can't see spending $100 for a razor anymore than I can see spending $100,000 for a car.

I'm in the vintage razor group myself, only one modern/new razor and that is a $30 FaTip Grande. I have about a dozen vintage Gillettes (NEWs, Tech, Super Speeds, Fat Boy & Slim). I didn't go crazy collecting them and getting stupid on the bay. All mine cost between $5 and $25. But that was a couple years ago. I say watch the BST here on B&B, you can usually find good razors at fair prices within the community.

I made a stop in Hot Springs a couple years ago. Beautiful country over there.

I only have experience with vintage razors, so I have no comments when it comes to new razors. For me, the acquiring is more to do with the fun of the chase than it is using the razors. I probably have more razors that I haven't shaved with than ones that I have used.

For vintage razors, I haven't found that the price equals a good or bad shave. The price seems to be driven more by the rarity and condition of the piece and if the model is in demand at the moment.

The answer to your questions will probably come down to your personality. Do you want a shaving den full of options, or do you want one or two pieces for the rest of your life? Are you going to stick with DEs, or will they just be a gateway drug to SEs or straights?

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I think I will keep my eyes open for a New LC. I can't find any negative comments about them, but prices are all over the grid!

I have a lot of razors, all vintage. There aren't many Gillette models I haven't tried. I have eight razors in my general rotation, three or four that are in a nearby drawer ready to move into the top eight and I am not sure how many more that have fallen out of favor for whatever reason. I have spent countless hours and more money than I probably should have trying as many models as I could. There are really good razors at all price points. My personal favorites were a little pricier, but not overly so. I did chase the dragon.... Toggle? yep. #15, yessir. Double Ring? uh huh. NEW De Luxe? of course, have the Criterion and a Tuckway. New Standards in regular and Tuckaway models. Single Rings, Old Types, Milords, Regent Tech, President, '40's-50's Aristocracts, Sheratons, Senators, Fatboys, Executives, Slims, Red Tips, Blue Tips, Black Tips, #77/88's and finally a #47. The Sheraton had become my favorite so I HAD to try a #47. The #47 was THE GRAIL for me. It was the shiny object that dominated my thoughts. I finally broke down and went Ebay for that one. The #47 looks FANTASTIC. On sheer looks alone, it is my favorite. However, it turns out that a Sheraton is my desert island razor. I stray from it regularly, but if I have to a have a perfect shave. The Sheraton it is.

As for your case, you are welcome to join the trip down the rabbit hole. It's fun and relatively harmless, but you could likely save some heartache and get a bar handle NEW. That is a GREAT razor. Wander around the flea markets and antique stores in your area. Wild razors are much harder to find nowadays, but you might find a few if you are diligent. I found a short comb NEW not long ago for less than $10. It won't win a beauty contest, but it shaves like its name..... NEW.

Good luck....

Price does not equal good shave. You really need to try one of most types of Gillette's to get a feel for what you like. Get an Old Type, a New Improved, a NEW, a 36' Aristocrat if you can, a 40's Superspeed, a Flair Tip Superspeed, a 40's Aristocrat a pre war Tech and an adjustable ( Fat Boy or Slim). That should give you a great idea what you like and what works for you. All but 2 of those razors can regularly be had for $30 or less.

Good luck.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
You are asking about DE razors and mentioned selling ones you don't like for 30% less a month later. With careful selection popular ones hold their value and your loss won't be 30% on reselling. There are many vintage razors available for $50 and less and that extends to SE and SE injectors as well. If you want stainless steel you have to go modern starting with the Weber at $70. That along with ATT (and others) also hold their value when selling used.

The issue about razors is that they are incredibly simple tools. Modern technology does not really have a way of improving on the old designs that are obvious or at least that anyone is currently exploring. Another aspect of old razors vs. modern is that many of the mid range modern razors are made of a cheaper, less desirable material than old razors. Brass is still about as good a material as any and almost all the old razors were plated brass. Stainless steel has it's own special issues in manufacturing and super expensive materials like Titanium are counter-productive as they would not give a razor the proper heft. The best manufacturing procedure is still probably brass parts carefully hand polished before plating. Eighty years ago the hand finished brass was likely to be as nicely made as anything that can be done today. Most guys on this board who have super expensive modern razors (I only have mid range modern ones) and compare them to the old stuff, seem to prefer the old stuff. Razors are like people. The passing of time hasn't resulted in better ones.

"The passing of time hasn't resulted in better ones".

A very good point and explanation.

Thanks for all the replies!

Top Bottom