A couple of re-knots

Discussion in 'Brush Making and Restorations' started by jmturley, Jun 10, 2019.

Picked up a couple new brushes (for me) to clean up and re-knot. The first was a Rubberset 200-5 (my second) and the second was an unbranded butterscotch. Neither was in rough shape so the initial clean up was fairly straight forward. Neither knot was worth keeping so I removed them in prep for their new companions. I chose a 30mm Maggard 2-Band for the Rubberset and a 20mm Maggard Silver-tip for the butterscotch. Now I just have to wait patiently for 24 hours for the glue to set and I can use them...

This is what they looked like before:
    before.jpg

and after:

JMT_1828.jpg

Then Both of my 200-5s just becuase:

JMT_1829.jpg

1. Nice job!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Very good work. Those cleaned up great and look great with the new knots.

3. ajkel64

ajkel64 Ambassador

They look fantastic. Great job.

4. 30 mm? Wow, my 24 mm badger is huge. They look gorgeous.

Adam

5. Both my 200-5s are 30mm. They are enormous, but are wonderful to use.

Thank all.

6. Very nice!

30mm knots, for those days when only a full body lather will do!

7. Nice work!

I have become partial to the smaller knots. I still enjoy an occasional shave with a 24mm brush, but my daily brush is a 20mm.

8. Toothpick

Toothpick Moderator

Those look nice. So how do you do it? Cut the bristles, Dremel out the epoxy/glue knot, replace and epoxy back in? I’ve got one I need to do, just don’t have the knowledge yet.

9. I have a 16mm boar that I’m fond of. But I do love my 30mm too.

With the rubber-set brushes I found that just pulling the hair out with some pliers exposes the glued plug. That gives me a flat area to drill a large hole. After that I used a small wood chisel to break apart the old glue from the handle. Not sure if it’s the brightest idea but it works for me. After that, if I need to enlarge the hole I use a Dremel with a small sanding drum and open it up, test fitting as I go. After that it’s just a matter of building up a small shelf any way you can at the loft you want and flying it in. I typically fill the handle with epoxy if it’s hollow, and throw in some metal BBs for weight. This time I glued in with Silicone RTV instead of epoxy, just in case I ever want to use the knot in another handle.

10. Yup, much quicker at lathering then my 16mm :lol:

And funny enough, once I opens up the socket of the 200-5, the handle of the butterscotch fit perfectly in it.

11. Toothpick

Toothpick Moderator

Sounds like something i can do! Thanks for the info.

12. Brushes-2.jpg

After a few uses they are blooming quite nicely. The butterscotch is my first silver tip, and I have to say I love it. A great face lather brush if I do say so myself.