What's new

A couple of newbie-ish questions

So I've been getting into this wetshaving thing a little more, but still have a few (potentially stupid) questions.

1. I've been using Nivea ASB, and don't really like it. I have to slap on what feels like a handful for it to be effective, and I wind up just feeling greasy and break out. I do have somewhat acne-prone skin, so less harsh would be better for me. I've read some positive things about pure aloe vera gel or (Thayers) witch hazel. Would the pure aloe/witch hazel then my Cetaphil face moisturizer (which I like on non-shave days) be a better aftershave route?

2. I have been wetshaving simply with a Sensor Excel, and am finally looking at getting a safety razor. I know I want a Merkur HD, but before I order it online, I was wondering if there's any place to get one (or even something similar) in retail stores. I'm in Ohio if it helps at all.

3. I've been using Taylor's Lavendar Cream and (ostracize me if you must), I don't really like it. I already feel slightly irritated after a pass or two, and it doesn't feel moisturizing enough. I'm looking for something with better moisturizing properties, and have read good things here about Crabtree's almond (and it's local, which makes attaining it that much easier). Any and all other options, suggestions, and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1. I've been using Nivea ASB, and don't really like it. I have to slap on what feels like a handful for it to be effective, and I wind up just feeling greasy and break out. I do have somewhat acne-prone skin, so less harsh would be better for me. I've read some positive things about pure aloe vera gel or (Thayers) witch hazel. Would the pure aloe/witch hazel then my Cetaphil face moisturizer (which I like on non-shave days) be a better aftershave route?
I'd stick with just the Witch Hazel to begin with; Thayer's particularly is also a decent moisturizer.

2. I have been wetshaving simply with a Sensor Excel, and am finally looking at getting a safety razor. I know I want a Merkur HD, but before I order it online, I was wondering if there's any place to get one (or even something similar) in retail stores. I'm in Ohio if it helps at all.
I've seen Merkurs at cutlery stores and knife (e.g. non-cooking) shops.

3. I've been using Taylor's Lavendar Cream and (ostracize me if you must), I don't really like it. I already feel slightly irritated after a pass or two, and it doesn't feel moisturizing enough. I'm looking for something with better moisturizing properties, and have read good things here about Crabtree's almond (and it's local, which makes attaining it that much easier). Any and all other options, suggestions, and recommendations would be appreciated.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with C&E! :drool: I'm a huge fan of Sienna, myself. I say give it a shot. :cool:

--Mark

You may want to try either your ASB or a splash AS then follow up with a lotion after the AS dries - this is what I do when my face feels particularly dry. I don't think ASB meant to be a lotion as such.

You may be able to find a vintage safety razor at a yardsale or flee market, but other than that I don't think you will find a new safety razor for sale at any brick and morter store in Ohio. I got my HD from classicshaving.com - excellent customer service and very fast shipping.

Again, I don't think shaving creams are meant to moisterize - that's what water is for. If the razor is getting any resistance during your shave or feels really dry then either apply more cream or water. As an example, my face is usually dripping wet when I start my lather.

If your face feels very dry after the shave then use a face lotion.

Great, thanks for the initial responses. I'm heading to a natural foods place in a few hours, so I'll hopefully get some goodies.

GB --

I concur with Mantic. I'll only add that C&E stores will typically provide sample quantities of their shave creams gratis for the asking. They are all quite good products and well worth a trial

-- John Gehman
Go BLUE!! :lol1:

So I've been getting into this wetshaving thing a little more, but still have a few (potentially stupid) questions.

Thanks!
1) Get some Thayer's Witch Hazel at the natural food store. If you want to try just plain WH you can get it at about any drugstore for less than $2 a bottle. Be sure to get the Non-Alcohol variety.

2) You'll save a lot of money (even with shipping) buying your HD off of QED or one of the other e'tailers of note.

3) Put your Lavender cream FS on the Shopping Mall page. It won't last long. No sense keeping it if it's breaking you out.

4) Or trade your Lavender for TOBS AVOCADO...That's some smooth sailing cream & shouldn't break you out.

5) Or order TOBS AVOCADO when you order your HD as you're Shipping charge will likely be the same anyway.

The acne issue may be coming from the type of razor you're using (multi-bladed) and your plans to use a DE are probably going to help. I'm on week two with a Merkur and I haven't been getting acne on my beard. Acne on my forehead is another issue. I purchased a Merkur Progress from Classic Shaving and I am pleased with their site and service.

Good Luck

Which Nivea ASB are you using? I use the one for Sensitive skin and it works well for me, even though my skin doesn't tolerate most products. I do have to add that after the ASB has dried I use the Nivea Sensitive Moisturising Lotion to finish off (as Stuyou mentioned). But as always YMMV... Good luck with finding something that will work for you!

Thanks for everything guys. I actually tried using Jason Naturals' Witch Vera Gel (a combo of witch hazel and aloe vera, as you may have guessed), let that dry, then used the Cetaphil lotion. So far it has worked well, and I'll just have to see the long term effects. And unfortunately, my tube of Taylor's lavender broke. I apparently screwed it on too tightly a few weeks back, and the cap broke. It still works okay for me if I just duct tape it when not in use, but I doubt it would be worth it to ship.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd say try Mama Bear's unscented summer aftershave milk, and her unscented shave soap ... if you're reacting to the scented, try unscented first and branch out from there. The summer milk is much thinner and less greasy than the Nivea, and soaps tend to be a little more moisturizing than creams IMHO.

The acne issue may be coming from the type of razor you're using (multi-bladed) and your plans to use a DE are probably going to help. I'm on week two with a Merkur and I haven't been getting acne on my beard. Acne on my forehead is another issue. I purchased a Merkur Progress from Classic Shaving and I am pleased with their site and service.
Good Luck
Then perhaps you should try shaving your forehead? :lol:
Well, seriously, perhaps your beard prep is contributing to the acne solution in some ways, just in cleaning out pores and excess oil. Wouldn't hurt to try extending your hot water rinse, lather, and your post-shave treatments to your forehead.

Top Bottom