What's new

A couple of Newbe questians.

Hi,
I am new here at B&B.
I have been using DE for several years but straight razor for just a couple of month now and I think get pretty decent shaves, but to be able to get futher in my shaving, i need answeres of a couple of questians.

1) How aften do you need to hone your straight razor?
I have read that you will have to hone your razor ones or at mest a couple of Times' a year.
I have to hone maybe ones a month, could I do the stroping wrong or something else?
What is common misstankes to damage the sharpness?

2) I try to use both hand equally during my shave, but I have some issues.
What different grep shall i use when shave the neck? I have tried to watch youtube but still I dont get it.

3) what is the pro and cons to have a straight razor of the size 5/8 and 6/8?

BR
andreas

I give my razors a few laps on the stones once every few weeks, I usually do them all at the same time. I think if you hone omce a month you are fine, nothing wrong with your stropping technique. I do think however that a full progression from 1k to finisher is a little overkill if you do it once a month.
As for your next two questions, they are a bit more difficult to answer. Only you can find that out for yourself.

I give my razors a few laps on the stones once every few weeks, I usually do them all at the same time. I think if you hone omce a month you are fine, nothing wrong with your stropping technique. I do think however that a full progression from 1k to finisher is a little overkill if you do it once a month.
As for your next two questions, they are a bit more difficult to answer. Only you can find that out for yourself.

Thanks for your Quick answere, I only have a Norton 4K/8k stone and I dont have do take that many stroken of the 4K stone.

Im not a cut throat user just yet im on shavette and DE atm however im pretty sure hone once a month is fairly normal...strop every other day...i got to the stage of buying some kangaroo leather that was veg tan...bits from a person who skins for a living apparently kangaroo makes the best strops and lasts longer than cow hide smells nice fresh to very leathery..then i glued them onto a block of wood and the other one just a strap...costs me in total a low sum of $40 for 2 amazing quality strops...now..as for size thats 100% ymmv...some like one some the other...cant get into details on anything else yet lol so not a great deal of help but im sure somebody who has knowledge of straight shaving will chime in

Last edited by a moderator:
I hone my straight... well never. I just pop a blade in my shavette and shave away. Lol. I'm glad others have the time to strop, but I love love love my shavette.

Top Bottom