What's new

A couple of newb questions

So, after shave #4, I'm making significant progress. Shave#4 featured very little razor burn (as compared to shave #3, which was all burn).
A little nick on my upper lip today reminds me to not get too cocky and ahead of myself, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to hold the razor for an ATG pass? Any suggestions for the jawline? Another area that needs work is under my chin (don't seem to be getting a very good shave) and my neck (a bit irritated). I'm not likely to try ATG for a while, but getting an idea of the hand-holds for XTG and ATG might help me when I do try them out.

To say the least, I'm having a blast and when I went to shave this morning, I had very little stubble on my cheeks, less than when I wake-up after a day shaving with a DE.

what is your angle for the ATG?
Try flat against the skin, and if needed lift a little. A note ATG under the chin will be very unpleasant if the razor is not sharp enough.

for an ATG pass try any kind o lotion on your neck under the shaving cream.. hold the razor with 2-3 fingers to force a 'no pressure' shave.. the rest is blade angle and lock that elbow...!

Congratulations on making it this far. Learning to shave with a straight razor is takes time. All of us have been exactly where you are, and don't worry, you will some day ask what the big deal was.

The key to moving on, I think, is gainining the confidence you need to manipulate the blade on your face and the willingness to continue. Most beginners, such as you, start to advance after their 15th or 20th shave.

First learn how to shave WTG only. Take your time, Learn to do your cheek and then your neck. Move into those difficult areas like your chin and cheek bones slowly. Once you have mastered these, the chin and stash area are next. Once you have these down, and no one but you cares how long this takes, the rest is a breeze.

Good Luck,

Ray

Yeah, that's probably the best advice I could get. I'll stick with WTG for now and once I feel like I have that mastered, I'll move forward with more advanced techniques. I'm certainly willing to stick with it, especially since I'm getting not-so-bad shaves on my cheeks. Well, off to bed after a nightly stropping sesssion!

Top Bottom