What's new

A couple more restores

The lettering on the Rubberset 200-3 just was just too worn to take paint. The brush works great though. It is knotted with a Maggard’s 70/30 22mm. So far, I really dig this knot, particularly when shaving with two day growth.

The other is a Rubberset 153, made for a buddy of mine who was in desperate need of a new brush. It’s knotted with a 22mm TGN Finest.
A2F68CE7-6EC1-4415-ABA0-B3055BBCEABA.jpeg

8BF2BE1B-D047-4896-8FFD-84E2F1D7D8BA.jpeg

@pork, can you tell me what you used for paint on the 200? Also, on a related note, do you tie flies? If so, do you use a magnifying glass and vice to do detail work on the handles?

@pork, can you tell me what you used for paint on the 200? Also, on a related note, do you tie flies? If so, do you use a magnifying glass and vice to do detail work on the handles?

Yeah, I tie quite a bit. Custom orders, mainly for Atlantic salmon, is sort of my “side hustle.” I don’t use either a magnifying glass or vise on the handles. Lately, I haven’t been using a vise for flies, either.

I used Testors enamel and a micro sponge for the paint on the 200. I just wish all the letters were deep enough to take the paint.

Nice! I just sent off a really cool handle I found while antiquing to a friend from reddit to be restored. Something about the older brushes is just awesome!

A great pair of restos @pork! I love the black/butterscotch combo and with a TGN finest I’m sure your friend will too. The 200-3 looks fantastic in full bloom. Between you and @Graydog I just mght have to try that 70/30 knot. I wasn’t too interested in it but since you said you like it after a 2 day growth I kind of want tontry it now. I skip shaving on weekends so I start off with 3 full days of growth for my first shave of the week and that knot might just suit me perfectly.

A great pair of restos @pork! I love the black/butterscotch combo and with a TGN finest I’m sure your friend will too. The 200-3 looks fantastic in full bloom. Between you and @Graydog I just mght have to try that 70/30 knot. I wasn’t too interested in it but since you said you like it after a 2 day growth I kind of want tontry it now. I skip shaving on weekends so I start off with 3 full days of growth for my first shave of the week and that knot might just suit me perfectly.

Thanks! Yeah, give it a shot. I prefer something softer if I shave on consecutive days. It’s a bit prickly, but I’m sure it’s still far from being broken in. After skipping a day, I am excited to use it again. My face feels ready for it and I have been getting some really great shaves. I bought it on a whim, but what a good decision it was. I set the knot with silicone and will probably put it into a nicer barber-style handle when one comes my way.

@REV579 - nice looking brush ENABLER! As it stands, I think I’ll be getting one sometime during the coming few weeks, I’ll definitely post pics and an honest opinion of the knot.

I just came across a fan shaped mixed knot, sold by APShaveCo on Etsy. The pic of the knot looks OK, but the pic of it in the first review looks really good. Now I’m curious about the fan shaped version. Any one here use it?

Looks great! You should give it a try.
So, I started it today and will stay with it this week, exclusively. It's making some great lather! Hopefully I can handle the de-funking process along the way. It's got some serious stank!

So, I started it today and will stay with it this week, exclusively. It's making some great lather! Hopefully I can handle the de-funking process along the way. It's got some serious stank!

Yeah, mine lathers like no one's business. I've been using it with Col. Conk's Bay Rum soap, nothing fancy. But it has made some brilliant, super-slick lather...to the point where I almost started questioning why I've spent money on some of this other stuff. Mine wasn't too funky, thank goodness. I have a TGN 22mm fan that wins that prize.

Top Bottom